Author Topic: what is the largest an that has been found ?  (Read 11955 times)

BP Wench

Re: what is the largest an that has been found ?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 11:09:24 pm »
Kathleen I'm thinking Kay needs to join the Battywench cruise lines for a little fun! 

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 11:16:11 pm »
I think she deserves the biggest bar of chocolate to sculpt, thanks to Phylee-girl finding that FABULOUS article about chocolate and brain trauma.  Kay, it's all yours!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

BP Wench

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 11:18:21 pm »
Kay can have the biggest bar as long as I sitll get to dip matthew :o

Battyp

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 09:31:19 pm »
I talked to a girl in my doctors office who's mom had a 7.0CM one removed years ago...

tony

Re: what is the largest an that has been found ? - 10cms ??
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 07:44:47 am »
There was a guy from Canada (on the old list) about 18mths ago that was 10 cms
(almost an orange) amazingly he had very few symptoms
I dont know how it turned out.
At 10cm they cant just leave it - it really is only a matter of time before something
happens - its usually best to have your emergencies in a hospital where they are equipped to deal with them - rather than on a vacation, in a lift or a in burger bar..
Perhaps some of the veterans will remember him ?
best regards
Tony

onebadass350bird

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 07:57:11 pm »
Here's one that scared the hell out of me when I saw it...26 year old female, 6cm

17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

Raydean

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 09:40:33 pm »

OBA

Just dug Chet's old MRI out today, haven't done it in about 5 years. really brings back some strange feelings.  But his look alot like the one you just posted.  His was also 6 cm.

When my daughter is better (recovering from ankle surgery) I'll see if she can scan them . 

You know whenever I see a scan such as this,or  Nate's,& Paul's  I am amazed and realize how lucky we are to be living in this day and age, and in this Country with access to medical care.  I know in my heart that I'm a very lucky lady to have my husband here today.

Hugs
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 06:10:40 pm »
You know I never have asked the size of my orginal tumor, it just never occured to me but I remember clearly looking at it on the computer.....it was like this one here onebadass posted.......I should ask for a copy of my surgical report and see what it actually measured when they got in there.
It's funny, you would think as a nurse I would have asked all kinds of questions....I didn't, I didn't want to know. I remember very clearly looking at the image on the screen, saying "holy *&#*, I'm dead meat" (or something to that effect) the tech. handing me my neurologists phone number and calling him ,he was waiting for the call, apparenly he knew about the AN basically all day due to a test done earlier in the day and got the MRI scheduled Stat. and had the hospital staff make me stay for it I was tired and kept saying forget it I'm going home and then kept saying "just wait another hour and we'll have you in, it's scheduled for next week but if you stay we'll save you the trip next week". By the time I knew about the tumor my parents had already been told, the various neurosurg.'s around the city called to see who could do it the soonest (before I was dead) etc. When I went to see the surgeon the next week I really didn't hear much after he said "dead in a short time" to my asking if this could wait (or I might of said what if I don't have surgery), and him saying that I might not be able to walk/talk after surgery and might need to go to a rehab hospital for a few months. I don't even remember signing the surgical consent, I don't remember being told I would loose my hearing etc., I barely remember the ride home in the subway with my Dad. I clearly remember the fear....as a nurse I knew a lot and that was scarey.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 12:15:26 am »
Kathleen, you've been through alot!!

That 6cm posted by Badass: WOW!!! Where did that come from? Is the girl that had that growth on this forum?

I pray that mine doesn't decide to grow back. The doctors tell me that the incidence of this is rare. Well, it's not so rare judging from what I've been gathering on this forum!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 07:41:22 am »
Raydean, wasn't Chet's just about 6cm or did I miss that noted somewhere?
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 09:48:06 am »
Wow, Kathleen, I knew you had been through a tough one, but I think that's the first I've read from you that really explains it.  Congratulations on being here today, and making it through that rough of a surgery so long ago when technology wasn't as good.  You're a real hero on here that you're sticking around giving great advice and support.  Thank you!!!!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 04:19:00 pm »
Gennysmom: I stick around here, and the Canadian equal, as a way to stay "grounded" and to give to others....I figure this is the answer to my "why me" (constantly thinking that really burned up a lot of energy in the early years post initial surgery).
I have times when I need support and get it through these forums because I haven't anyone in my "family" except my husband who really "gets it" (and sometimes he can't get it either).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)