Author Topic: What does Gy mean?  (Read 9985 times)

becknell

What does Gy mean?
« on: March 15, 2006, 08:44:50 am »
What does Gy mean? I know this is how the radiation dose is measured, as I have read it in many places, 11 Gy, 20 Gy and such,
but I don't know exactly what it means. It translates into rads? Can someone help me with this? What would be the range in dose for radiosurgey? Such as how many Gys on the low end and how many Gys on the high end. (Maybe Mark, who is always most helpful, knows this?)  :) Jennifer

jamie

Re: What does Gy mean?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 10:53:02 am »
Here ya go...

When ionizing radiation interacts with the human body, it gives its energy to the body tissues. The amount of energy absorbed per unit weight of the organ or tissue is called absorbed dose and is expressed in units of gray (Gy). One gray dose is equivalent to one joule radiation energy absorbed per kilogram of organ or tissue weight. Rad is the old and still used unit of absorbed dose. One gray is equivalent to 100 rads.

1 Gy = 100 rads

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/ionizing.html
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

jamie

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 02:55:06 pm »
No problem :) I agree, it is pretty complicated.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 01:55:40 pm »
Thanks Jamie! When I met with the BI CK team today, it certainly helped that I knew was Gy was and in asking about the daily (5 FSR) treatment!  You rawk! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"