Author Topic: Signs of facial paralysis 2 weeks after surgery  (Read 3377 times)

susierg

Signs of facial paralysis 2 weeks after surgery
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:30:10 am »
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my surgery to remove a 7mm right side AN.  The tumor was completely removed, no hearing on right side as of yet, but all facial movements were intact until this weekend.  On Saturday, I noticed my smile was a little crooked.  By Sunday, it was even more pronounced.  My right eye is very dry and itchy, but I can still close it.  I still have movement in my face, just certain things like my smile and when I lift my eyebrows, the right side does not move as much as left.  Has anyone ever had this happen after so long after surgery. My surgeon had told me that paralysis would be immediate after surgery if there was a problem.  I have put in a call to him and waiting to hear back.  Would just like to know if anyone else has experienced this and if so, was it temporary? 
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.

LakeErie

Re: Signs of facial paralysis 2 weeks after surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:48:52 pm »
While I am not an expert, facial weakness can be delayed after surgery if you have recently ended steroid use. The steroids administered after surgery can prevent swelling of the involved nerves. Steroids are usually tapered off over a period of a few weeks after discharge from the hospital. Once no more steroids are in your system, the nerves can react to what happened in surgery. They may be irritated and swell from dissection, or the blood supply have been interupted in manipulating the tumor causing the nerve to swell. Whether complications are immediate or delayed, they are most often temporary and do improve.
I know in my case, after ending steroids my swallowing was worse than immediately after surgery. That problem has improved over time.
Of course, your surgeon is your best source of information about this. Try not to worry, because delayed problems are not unheard of. Good luck
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:58:42 pm by LakeErie »
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

susierg

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:42:35 pm »
Doc called back.  Said that this happens sometimes and that I shouldnt worry.  I had steroids in the hospital, but none since.  They now have me on 80 mg Prednisone for 10 days tapering off for the next 4 days.  Said that it will probably get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.  Trying my best not to let it get me down. 
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.

PamJ

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:57:36 am »
I had the same thing happen to me and things are now gradually getting back to normal.  This site is a blessing when you sit and worry and then read on here that other people have had the same symptoms as you it puts your mind at ease.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery