Author Topic: OK since we talk about everything on the board.......  (Read 6929 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: OK since we talk about everything on the board.......
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 02:34:58 pm »
My docs sent me home on stool softeners right from the hospital cuz I hadn't gone yet there. I would suggest a call to the doc first and foremost.  If he doesn't get back to you soon, do you have a pet store nearby that sells reptiles?

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 03:30:28 pm »
For what its worth: at the time of my post-op hospital discharge, I was asked (by a nurse) if I'd had a BM since the surgery.  At the risk of my freedom from hospital captivity being delayed as we waited for my bowels to move - a daunting thought - I bravely and honestly answered "no".  Fate smiled and I was discharged anyway, with the suggestion to use a laxative if I didn't have a BM within 48 hours.  Fortunately, now in familiar surroundings and eating food fit for human consumption, I experienced the highly-anticipated BM within the requisite 48 hours.  My wife congratulated me, which made me feel like I was 2 years old - but I amiably accepted her kudos, knowing that she meant well.  My digestive system apparently re-set itself and operated normally from that point forward.  Apparently, this is not always the case for every post-op AN patient.  The various suggestions posted for getting things moving again seem valid and should work. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jwh

Re: OK since we talk about everything on the board....... UPDATE
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 06:01:15 pm »
Mission accomplished….  A little bit of everybody’s great suggestions did the trick.  I was in such pain on Sunday with horrible stomach cramps  that I could hardly stand up straight.  Luckily things have resolved back to normal.  YIPPEEEEEE. :) :) :)

I scheduled to have my stitches out on this Friday.  Overall, I feel like I’m doing really well.  I guess it’s one of those benefits of having a second surgery.  My body had already compensated for the balance and coordination, etc.  I feel very lucky and blessed and hope that this will be the end of my AN chapter.  I suppose the MRI will be the only thing that will tell the truth in time.  Fingers and toes crossed over here! ;) ;) ;) ;)

thanks,
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 06:10:05 pm »
Good news and congratulations.  ::)  Hope you continue to do well.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Pembo

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 07:44:54 pm »
Great news Jen on your recovery and your bathroom success. For me I remember that once things got moving I hard time getting them to stop that day. :) Why do I remember THAT after almost 5 years?! LOL

So happy to talk to you on the other side....
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

sgerrard

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:08 pm »
We seem to be able to celebrate anything around here. Woo hoo!  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 11:15:06 pm »
As Cheryl R has already said, we won't go into what us nurses have done in our line of work, but after I had my son, Senokot-S (softener only, not laxative), worked perfectly.  No straining, very soft, but not a laxative effect like other remedies.  Luckily, after AN surgery, plenty of water seemed to do the trick.  Also, any medicines you are on, especially if any are pain killers, are not helping matters, although there is not much you can do about those because when you need them.   One thing I learned in nursing school is everyone is so different when it comes to poo......I sure hope you find the trick that works for you!!!  We all are in the same boat here :)

-Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 11:37:43 pm »
All I can say is, thank goodness they don't make you go before you go home.  My surgeon told me all I will have to do is 1) walk the halls without help, 2) Keep down food, and 3) manage pain without IV meds.

I'm a once every 5 day pooper. (Can I say that here?).  Yep.  Don't know why.  It doesn't stack up or anything, just don't produce much of the stuff.  Imagine adding to that the stress and meds that can bind you up for a while?  I'd be in the hospital for weeks! :)

Hey Amy, my wife is a nurse too, although working in a clinic right now (only day shifts, weekends off, no holidays) :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

bell

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 01:23:46 pm »
EJ
I used suppositories to help this along.  Had to use one before I left the hospital, then again at home a couple of times till I became regular.  It does help and within 15 minutes of using I went to the bathroom and I was reliived, Ugh..  Good luck, do what you need to do for yourself, JBell

FlyersFan68

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 02:52:36 pm »
I would suggest Metamucil (not the tablets). There are many benefits and it's natural.  Mix it once a day with bottled water and you're good to go. Stay with it because it's not a one time magic pill.

wendysig

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 08:24:09 am »
Hi Jen,

Glad to hear your mission has been accomplished!  Onward and upward  ;D ;D ;D

Wishing you continued good healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 08:36:44 pm »
the strain all depends on how far post op you are. my ENT had me on plenty more water and liquid type fluids and the doculax to keep things smoothly running. strain was something he didn't want for first 3 weeks. after that it was pretty much ummm

go as you can .........its a temporary inconvenience it will (pardon the pun) pass :D
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 06:24:59 pm »
Milk of Magnesia or a Fleet Enema. Colace was not strong enough for me.
There is no easy answer ... drink lots of water. I hated this part too.
Michelle  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:09:10 am by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Cheryl R

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 07:49:58 am »
Flleets Phsoph soda is a small bottle of salty liquid to drink.      We would ususally mix it with some water when give it to patients.           It is a dynamite type liquid .  You won't strain but you will get cleaned out bigtime!
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

kzanana

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 05:41:21 pm »
If you are still having problems, I used a glycerine suppository , with great results.