Author Topic: Trivial question about surgery  (Read 9727 times)

arkansasfarmgirl

Re: Trivial question about surgery
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 10:28:08 am »
Thanks for all the other posts...I about fell out of my chair when I saw Katie's pic!!   :o  I do realize that this is a minor issue in the scheme of things, but this is my way of dealing with being scared.   :) 

Vonda

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 12:31:01 pm »
What's the hair dye issue?
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 01:32:03 pm »
I believe that most doctors recommend waiting a month following surgery before any sort of hair treatment (coloring, permanents, etc.) But as with so many other things, different doctors have differing viewpoints, so confirm this with your own physician.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 06:16:40 pm »
First of all, I had to wait 8 weeks before coloring my hair, and it was only highlights!  Second, they did not shave nearly as much hair for my surgery but my hair was very short at the time.  And I agree with whoever said "you won't care".  You really won't and by the time you do, it will be so much better.  After my stitches were out I used Carol's Daughter scar butter and gently massaged a couple of times a day, avoiding the actual "hole in my head".  My scar is completely healed.  I'm still healing however...

Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 08:58:42 pm »
Just another note here on scars.

As Marci said, they do heal fast.

I had my AN surgery 5/31/07 and by 3/4/08 when I have my BAHA implant surgery, my AN scar had faded to the point where it was completely unnoticeable - I was shocked myself.

I didn't put anything on my scar either - except the bacitracin recommended by my neurotologist post op. 

Another note on scars - the hair around them tends to grow in very fast.  By the time I had my stitches removed - 10 days post op - my hair was already growing in around my scar.

Here is a picture of my retrosigmoid scar a few days post op when my mastroid bandage was removed

Jan
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 09:17:32 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 09:03:18 pm »
Nancy,
Are you having endospcopic surgery?  If so, it is truly through the ear and not behind it.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cin605

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 09:46:55 pm »

"seems" all scars ae different. This pis. was about 4 0r 5 days out.
Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 07:42:25 am »
....cough, cough, wiping tears from eyes

Man o man, I'm amazed at the difference in size, location and shape!  Seems each surgeon carves our pumpkins differently!

Can't believe I still get all choked up!   

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Denisex2boys

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 08:22:45 am »
I had sub-opptical - and yes, it seems we are all a little different - - at first I was concerned about the hair - but just getting through the surgery was HUGE to me since I have little kidlets - - and I have a reverse bob so the scar is somewhat hidden - but hey, if people ask ..... I am more than willing to tell them that I am a brain tumour SURVIVOR!

Good luck with your surgery - you will be just fine :)

- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 12:04:04 pm »
The differences in the incisions are fascinating.  My surgeons beamed over my incision and referenced it as beautiful.  That seemed like an oxymoron to me at the time, but I'm starting to develop an appreciation for their art work as the scar slowly disappears.  Again, I am humbly reminded of just how lucky we ANers are.

I'm going to try my first attempt at including a pict (incision at 5 days post op) on this site.  I can't figure out how to reduce its size, so my apologies if it comes out large.

SUE 
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

sgerrard

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 12:35:39 pm »
Such a nice rogue's gallery of the rough and tumble women of the ANA!  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cin605

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 02:36:47 pm »
Oh.. how glorious we all are....
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 04:29:32 pm »
I wonder how many people we have totally FREAKED out???
Is your heart pounding? I am here to elevate anxiety. The first photo is 10 days after surgery (with staples still in) and the others are 5 Months after surgery and all is good.
Michelle  ;D

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:12:02 am by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

LADavid

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 05:33:29 pm »
Hey Steve

I was thinking the same thing.  And not at all shy.  I'm amazed at the differences in the scars though.  And if it's worth anything -- I had my surgery at St Vincents and my head was shaved like Katie's.  But it didn't make much difference since I went out and got a military cut the day before my surgery.

And Michelle, I agree -- we may soon be seeing a number of cancelled surgeries in favor of radiation.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 07:45:29 pm »
I had a mid fossa. Here is a pic of mine - This is about 2 weeks post surgery. Picture quality is not so great because I took it myself with my phone. Fixed it up in PhotoShop as much as possible.  :-\ Ha ha....I was still wearing a pair of cheapy glasses I bought and took off one of the bows so it didn't bother my incision.

It sure didn't take long for my hair to start growing back. And since my hair was/is a bit more than shoulder length, once my hair was let down, it was barely noticable. Now at ALMOST 3 months, my hair over the shaved part is a good 1 1/2 - 2 inches long and I wear it in a pony tail sometimes and pretty much always behind my ears. People at work have mentioned that they can't even tell. I don't care if someone DOES notice that my hair is shorter there. I am what I am.  ;D (And it sure is faster blow drying my hair on my left side  ;D)

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.