Author Topic: Gadolinium Concern  (Read 17695 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Gadolinium Concern
« on: October 07, 2010, 12:05:48 am »
Hi,

My yearly MRI "sanity check" has been scheduled for November 5th.

Given that I've been staving-off any regrowth so far, have been feeling good and that there do not appear to be any issues, I was wondering if it would be prudent to skip a year?

There has been talk that the contrast dye used in MRI procedures, "Gadolinium", is nasty stuff and has been linked with kidney problems in certain individuals. The less toxins
I can get away with putting in my body the better. My kidneys are in good shape and I'd like to keep them that way!

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Gadolinium Concern
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:23:24 am »
I had post AN MRI the 1st & 2nd year. 
I had a reaction to the gandolinium the 1st one, so now it's done without contrast.

I don't know if I'm going to have anymore.  The docs said they got the whole tumor (well yeah, along with my facial nerve).
I just don't want to think about MRIs anymore.    I know this is stupid but it's what I've been thinking.
Good luck with your decision,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

opp2

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:30:40 am »
I had the contrast and I did not have a reaction to it. I don't have any prior kidney issues. I felt fine, but I must admit I was nervous. The first time I was oblivious that there could be side effects. Now that I've had the post op MRI, I don't believe I'll ever (fingers crossed) need the contrast again. MRI yes, contrast no. The only 'side effect' I had was I had trouble focusing on fine print for about 2 hours after.

Good luck in the Tube!!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:08:44 am »
The first time I had the Gadolinium dye, I was very carefully instructed to drink at least one full glass of water upon leaving the imaging facility.  I have a previous history of a blocked kidney so I have always followed that advice and have had no problems thus far!  I've had at least 5 MRIs with contrast (lost count  ???).

I figure it is one of those things where they have to state this because in some individuals their kidneys do not filter as quickly as most people and it could create a problem.  The imaging facilities would be open to lawsuits if they had not stated the warning.

In my mind, the benefits of the MRI outweigh the risks ...... but that must be an individual decision based on medical history/knowledge.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 09:01:05 am »
I've been at this a while so they didn't even know those risks when I started getting MRI's!!  I don't even know for sure HOW many MRI's I have had - I'm sure I could figure it out if I tried real hard but don't have that much time to devote to it!!   ;)  I have never had any trouble.  I agree with Clarice, it is just one of those things that they have to include...just like everything states you could die - well, you COULD...you also get hit by a truck crossing the street!!   ;D

FWW, I had one for 5 years and then was told that I didn't have to have any more, however, I have one about every 5 years for my own piece of mind!

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 09:18:52 am »
I have read that it is if you have some type of kidney disease then the contrast can cause the problem.    I have had several MRIs since my first in 2001 and the kidneys are still fine.             Univ of Iowa is now doing the blood work only if you have no history of kidney disease, are not diabetic and under a certain age and think one more factor so the last time I did not have to do bloodwork.         I know my labs are ok since is checked when do a physical.                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:48:20 pm »
Paul ~

You have a few options with your scheduled MRI scan. 

You can, of course, skip it this year.  Considering that you're now 5 years post-op with no symptoms, that option might not be all that risky.

You can undergo the MRI as scheduled - but skip the Gadolinium contrast dye this time.

You can have the MRI with contrast, as scheduled, drink lots of water afterward and refuse to worry about the dye affecting your kidneys - because it probably won't. 

It's axiomatic that this is a decision only you can make.  I know you'll give it thought and do what is best for you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 09:28:19 pm »
The last MRI I had they had to lab work first to check my creatinine levels.  At first I didn't know why and then they said because of the dye. I'm on a water pill and they needed to make sure my kidneys were fine first.  I did the dye and didn't have any problems afterwards.  Have they said anything about getting lab work done before the test?
I would just ask the doctor questions and go with your gut.
Good luck,
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

Crazycat

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 01:23:14 am »
Thanks for running it down for me everyone!

I still have a few weeks to mull this over.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

Sheryl

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 08:00:03 am »
From what I've heard and read there is only concern with patients having MRI's and Gadolinium dye IF you have had any kidney problems in the past.  If you are uncertain, they do blood tests ahead of time.  There is no data at this point with Gadolinium causing problems in people with healthy kidneys.

I had an MRI last week and after many, many head MRI's I was asked NOT to take any Advil for 24 hours before (I take it daily for aches and pains).  I figured it had something to do with thinning the blood and the I.V. insertion.  I asked and was told it had to do with Advil affecting the kidneys.  I had heard that lots of it isn't good for the kidneys as lots of Tylenol isn't good for the liver.  Ever since my first head MRI in November of 2001, more and different questions are asked - interesting isn't it?
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Crazycat

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 02:28:52 pm »
True Sheryl. That's what I've come to believe.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 10:32:16 pm »
The way I understand it, you'd to have an awful lot of gadolinium over an awful lot of years for this to be an issue.  Unless you have some major kidney "issues" already.

Most hospitals/medical facilities make patients have the BUN and creatine blood tests prior to having the gadolinium as a precaution, but most patients don't have a problem.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mickey

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 08:29:29 pm »
After taking near four MRI`s with gladinolium over the past four years and feeling a little weird on the last one, I think I`m going to pass on the next one. Just my opinion after being diognosed without it with the same deminsions. I`ll do it again if ever really necessary. One again just my opinion. Best wishes, Mickey

Pembo

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 05:53:10 pm »
I'm always anxious whenever they put anything into me. My surgery was almost 6.5 years ago. I had an MRI at 1 year, 3 years, 5 years and now at 6.5. The doc says this is my last one for 5 years. Woo-hoo...
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Crazycat

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 02:11:05 pm »
Again, thanks for the comments everyone!!