Author Topic: Blood tests prior to post treatment MRI ?  (Read 8167 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Blood tests prior to post treatment MRI ?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 07:14:51 am »
Thanks, Pooter.  Had the MRI on Monday, results should be in today.

Don't know when I'll hear from the doc, but I did email him on Monday and suggest that he write a Rx for blood work at the same time he gives patient's a Rx for their MRI.  After 3 calls to his office, 2 to the hospital, and 15 extra minutes waiting for the hospital staff to find his fax on Monday morning, I thought he should know (or at least be reminded) that blood work is required now.

The MRI was actually kind of pleasant.  Now that I'm SSD they just plugged my good ear and the noise wasn't bad at all.  If it weren't for the tech talking to me on occasion, the lull of the noise would have put me to asleep.  I did keep my eyes closed though, because if I opened them I knew I would have freaked out  ;D

Odds of my AN returning are 1 - 2% so I'm thinking my results will be good. 

Hope I'm right!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Catflower

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 11:30:07 am »
Jan:  Let us know as soon as you get the results of your MRI.  I got my appointment for my one year follow up MRI and I also have to have the blood work prior.

Linda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »
You guys will be the first to know.

After the doc tells me, of course  ;D

He's a busy man, so I thought I'd give him a few days before I bug him for the results.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 02:28:07 pm »
Jan:

Not a lot to add here except that the MRI center (associated with the hospital my doctor operates in) has been requesting a 'pre-MRI'  blood test for over a year.  I have it done a few days prior to the MRI at a local, hospital-affiliated blood-drawing facility and they fax the results to the MRI center, so I don't have any wait on 'MRI day'.  It's clearly a shield against lawsuits and frankly, I don't mind having liver/kidney functions checked as I've had numerous MRI-with-contrast scans performed in the past two years.  Of course, the blood test co-pay adds to the overall cost of the MRI scan, but only a little and soon, only once per year.

I trust your MRI results will be  positive for you.  Let us know.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 07:06:47 pm »
Jim -

your MRI center has been asking for blood tests for over a year?  Guess the places I frequent are just behind the times  ;D

Haven't heard anything on the MRI yet, but I figure if there is a problem I'd have heard from the doc by now.  I just had it done on Monday, but in my experience, doctors are told pretty quickly when there are problems.  So I'm going under the theory that no news is good news.

If I don't hear anything by the end of next week, I'll probably call his office or request a copy of the radiologist's report from the hospital.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 08:49:56 am »
Thanks to this thread, when they started handing me the forms & explaining that I was going to have to sign since they were injecting, I knew what they were talking about!  It was for a CAT scan, but it was for the same reason -- I thought of you in the hospital Jan!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 10:32:22 am »
I thought of you in the hospital Jan!!

K

Gee, K, I'm flattered  ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 01:50:35 pm »

Jim -

your MRI center has been asking for blood tests for over a year?  Guess the places I frequent are just behind the times  ;D

Haven't heard anything on the MRI yet, but I figure if there is a problem I'd have heard from the doc by now.  I just had it done on Monday, but in my experience, doctors are told pretty quickly when there are problems.  So I'm going under the theory that no news is good news.

If I don't hear anything by the end of next week, I'll probably call his office or request a copy of the radiologist's report from the hospital.

Jan

Jan: 

Either your hospital/MRI center probably hasn't been sued yet or their attorney(s) aren't worried about it.  As I stated,the pre-MRI blood test s a bit of an imposition but not one that I really object to.  As I'll only be having an MRI scan annually, I can deal with it and although it may be done more as a legal ploy than as a necessary medical procedure, it does help check liver/kidney abnormalities, which isn't a bad thing. 

I'll assume (along with you) that your MRI results were nothing to worry about.  My last MRI (December) I didn't see my neurologist because he was still in surgery at the time of my scheduled visit, but his office never called me (sound familiar?)  I finally called them a few weeks later.  The doctor's secretary checked my records and said that my MRI was 'normal' and to call and remind them to schedule another MRI in June.  I will.  I'll also make sure to see my neurosurgeon, this time, even though I'm sure all is well.  Like most patients, I like to hear him tell me this and not have to make assumptions based on a lack of communication. 

Again, I trust your recent MRI was 'normal', too.  Let us know.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

T-Bone

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 02:51:10 pm »
I am 36 years old. On my first post treatment MRI they made me get the blood test. But i just had my second MRI a few days ago and no blood test. They just asked me if I had any kidney trouble. They may have forgot to have me go for the blood test. Oh well