Author Topic: My story...one week postop by the House Physicians (restored/updated 8/29/16)  (Read 7891 times)

BamaStory

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:57:24 pm by BamaStory »

UpstateNY

Re: My story...one week postop by the House Physicians
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 10:02:52 pm »
BamaStory,

Thanks for the story.  It appears the surgeons hit a home run, or very close to it.  The tumor was totally removed, you have hearing, no facial issues and no pain.  The balance/eye coordination that one will have just after surgery is the unknown, since you really don't know how much the vestibular nerve was damaged and compensated for prior to surgery.  It appears you had some vestibular function remaining, so you have some compensating to do post surgery.  The good news is that this will improve quickly with continuous walking and vestibular exercises, as you have seen in the first week.  The bumpy sidewalks around Seton Hall actually help you recover faster, since they challenge your balance.

I wish you continued success in your recovery.

Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:15:32 am »
Good to hear Dr. Schwartz at the House Clinic is continuing his successful trend with another success story. You were under fantastic hands.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

UpstateNY

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 10:38:46 pm »
BamaStory, I think you made a wise choice getting treated when you did.  I have adjusted very well to SSD, but if I knew then what I know now and could turn back time I would have gotten treated earlier.  Life throws us all curve balls, so we just need to make the best of what we are given.
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 11:11:04 pm »
Why did BamaStory delete the original post?

gedavis

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 01:25:32 pm »
BamaStory, I think you made a wise choice getting treated when you did.  I have adjusted very well to SSD, but if I knew then what I know now and could turn back time I would have gotten treated earlier.  Life throws us all curve balls, so we just need to make the best of what we are given.

We will post soon, but a quick note that my husband had his removed on Monday - House Clinic - (Brackmann/Schwartz/Stefan team) and he came home Thursday afternoon.    We want to write down information to help others just like you all have done.  The good stories do make a difference!

Greece Lover

It's certainly good to publish positive stories.  They are helpful.  Everyone would do well to remember, however, that the stories on here are anecdotal. They do not replace large-quantity medical studies of outcomes for various treatment modalities. I had to take a long break off of here after my surgery because I couldn't handle the positive (better than me) or the negative (made for bad patterns of thinking something worse would happen).  This is a great place to talk with people going through similar things, but no one should expect their experience to be like that of someone else.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

UpstateNY

BamaStory,
It is good to see you have re-posted your story.  It will certainly help others as they search for patient experiences with a similar sized AN and symptoms.  Most realize their outcomes may be different, but it is good to see positive stories.  I know when I was searching for experiences during my research phase there was no shortage of people describing microsurgery as getting your head cracked open.  Hindsight is 20/20, but it is now clear that the centers of excellence perform AN surgeries every day and have this down to a routine. Sure, there are still risks as with any procedure, but in my experience AN surgery was no where near as bad as I had expected.

The last time I saw a Peter Frampton concert was in 1987, give or take a year.   Glad to hear you had a good time.  I'm sure your concert was a bit toned down, but my ears rang for 2 days after that concert being that it was so loud.

I wish you the best with your continued recovery.

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
Dr. Wilkinson actually referred to himself as "the can opener" which made me laugh!

OMG!! That is so funny I'm laughing on the floor.