Author Topic: 6 week post/op checkup  (Read 7982 times)

Joe B

6 week post/op checkup
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:59:43 pm »
Headed over to Tampa yesterday for my six week post/op checkup. Everything went well. Only spent about 5 minutes with Dr. Bartels. He looked at the two incisions(head and stomach), looked in my ear, asked me about my balance, and asked me to show him a smile(facial paralysis test). He used the word 'great' when reciting his report into his recorder, so that pretty much made my day. I have a decent amount of facial movement on my AN side after having none two weeks post op and he said I should be looking pretty good in about 6 more weeks (like I ever did ;D). I also got the go ahead to start jogging (I have been taking a lot of long walks and been dying to take off running), bicycling, and kayaking. Although when I asked him about kayaking, he hesitated and said it may not be a good idea if I was out there doing barrel rolls in a kayak yet. I laughed about that, since all I do is paddle from one fishing hole to the next. Anyway, all's well 6 weeks post/op and getting better every day.
P.S. I don't have to go back for three months!!!

Joe B
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 6 week post/op checkup
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:10:10 pm »
Joe .....

Congratulations on such a super recovery ...... your story is what we like to read!!  Keep up the good work.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:25:52 am »
Joe -

sounds like you had a wonderful appointment! 

Congratulations on such a successful recovery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Helga

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 12:47:36 pm »
Great news, so happy for you! There are so many outdoorsy ANers out there, it must be particularly special to be going back what you love to do.
Best wishes, Helga

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 01:54:45 pm »
Joe ~

Thanks for letting us know about your very positive 6-week follow-up visit with Dr. Bartels.  Getting back to your normal physical activities (running, bicycling,kayaking) is always a recovery milestone.

Enjoy yourself - and know that a lot of folks will be encouraged by your successful AN recovery.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wcrimi

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 01:59:40 pm »
Wow, excellent news.

Do you have any dizziness, remaining balance issues, wonky headedness? 

I don't think there's any chance at all I could have ridden a bike as quickly as you are considering it.  I'm not sure I'd feel too comfortable about it now and I'm much improved since then. It's actually something I'm considering as a future test of my balance. (funny how driving is so much easier).
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Joe B

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 04:35:27 pm »
Wcrimi

I do have the wonky head, but it is usually not that bad (I do my best to ignore it when I can). I don't really get the dizziness and my balance is decent (I work on it daily). I started running yesterday. It was more like jog a little, walk a little, jog a little, walk a little, etc..(My knees actually let me know that it had been a while since the last time I had run). The kayak will be next (hopefully next weekend), then the bike (Mountain bike with wide tires-I will probably start in the grass somewhere). Although I am not getting on the bike immediately, I wanted to ask the Dr. if it was okay to do so, since I won't be seeing him for 3 more months (I will be trying it in the near future and I hope you will too).

Joe

2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
SSD

wcrimi

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:54:26 pm »
That's great Joe.  You are doing remarkably well.   ;)
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 06:09:03 pm »
Hey Joe, that's great progress for a 6 weeks out postie. I am 19 days now ( ;D) and can't wait to start running/biking/playing with the other kids. I'm just now instead of 'going around the block trying not to fall over', it can now be called 'a walk'. It'll be interesting to see what part of the body feels the worst when I start running...will it be the ankle? or the knee? or the head? Place your bets now.  :P
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 06:18:54 pm »
Although when I asked him about kayaking, he hesitated and said it may not be a good idea if I was out there doing barrel rolls in a kayak yet. I laughed about that, since all I do is paddle from one fishing hole to the next.

Apparently guys named Joe like kayak fishing. Our moderator JoeF seems to be fishing every chance he gets!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Keri

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 08:43:20 pm »
Joe,
Sounds like running shouldn't be a problem at all, once you get back into it. Except for the fact that I guess you're running in FL. I was in FL last week and tried to run. It was so hot, I felt like I was running like a slug!

Darin,
I started running SLOWLY at 3 weeks post. I was a little scared that my brain would explode, or something like that. My head felt fine. Since you're taking bets on what will hurt the most - for me it was my tummy incision! I wear one of those belt things with a water bottle and everytime it hit, it hurt (but not bad). Still, I wouldn't have expected that.

Best to you both on your running, fishing, biking, etc!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Joe B

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 08:29:51 am »
Darin,

It sounds like you are right on pace with the walking you are doing. Keep up the walking. The more I walked, the more I felt like taking off and running. You will be running in no tiime. Good luck with it.

Keri,

That's awesome that you were able to start running at 3 weeks post. If I started at 3 weeks I probably would have had to wear a crash helmut. And yes, it is definitely hot (and muggy) here in FL.  I wait until evenings, after the storms have passed and it has cooled down a little bit before I get out and run/walk.

Joe

2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
SSD

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 04:40:10 pm »
Congrats Joe to a great recovery, so far!

I've had the same experiences as you have. My recovery also went on quite fast, but the dizziness remained for a while. Now, at 2 months post-op, I almost feel like I did before the surgery. Amazing!

Best wishes from Helene in Sweden  :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

MissMolly

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 05:51:19 pm »
Do you have any dizziness, remaining balance issues, wonky headedness? 

I don't think there's any chance at all I could have ridden a bike as quickly as you are considering it.  I'm not sure I'd feel too comfortable about it now and I'm much improved since then. It's actually something I'm considering as a future test of my balance. (funny how driving is so much easier).

I'm with wcrimi.  Especially when I'm tired, my balance is difficult...despite working on it daily.  Even after 5 weeks.  Still easily tired too.

I am encouraged, however, that at 6 weeks you feel "almost like I did before the surgery".   ;D
Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 05:20:36 am »
Joe, you are well on the way!  Be kind and patient to yourself as you get those activity levels up, but there are enough fitness-oriented folks here that keep hitting new milestones post-op that inspire and cheer you on.  I am 7 months post op and haven't been running yet...but then I didn't run before surgery!! hahahah  You all will fly by me as I'm walking along.....

Enjoy the rest of your summer and all that it has to offer,

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!