Author Topic: Prayers needed  (Read 10740 times)

Mathilda

Re: Prayers needed
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 02:22:20 pm »
Dear Jan,

Sometimes I wish I had a magic wand to make things better. This would sure be one of the occasions to use it.
But I know from experience that combined prayers from caring individuals sent to our Heavenly Father can create miracles; way better than magic !
So, I would like to join all the others in saying a prayer for Kelly and her family and also for your family.

Mathilda

" 'Peace I give unto you,' theLord promises, 'not as the world giveth, give I unto you' (John14:27).
Peace. Strength. It is what we long for and what is possible. We only need to turn toward His reaching arms."

"When sore trials come upon us it's time to deepen our faith in God, to work hard, and to serve others.
Then He will heal our broken hearts. He will bestow upon us personal peace and comfort. Those great gifts will not be destroyed, even by death."
Russell M.Nelson
Diagnosed in 2006. Recent growth from 7 to 11mm.
Middle fossa surgery at House Ear Clinic on October 16th 2008.
With the results I hoped for: hearing saved; no facial problems.
Just wobbly headed; in need of patience ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 06:42:49 pm »
Many thanks to everyone for your kind words and your prayers. 

I really don't know a lot of details about the situation other than that Kelly remains in a coma in Intensive Care.  I'm not sure if it's an induced coma or a result of her surgery.  At the present time, she's holding her own and I guess time will tell what's in store for her and her family. 

I did find out that she was complaining of a headache prior to being hospitalized and that her mom noticed she just "didn't look right"; she was pretty disoriented and not at all alert; she also had trouble speaking.  Thankfully her mom took her to the ER right away.

My daughter and her friends are very concerned, but handling things as well as can be expected.  They are anxious to see Kelly, but know that the most they can do for now is send cards and prayers to her and her family.

I truly believe in the power of prayer.  Please continue to pray for Kelly and her family; I'll update you when I hear anything.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 06:27:20 am »
Jan,

Wow, this story really puts everything into perspective as it reminds us to be greatful for what we do have. 

I'm sorry she is going through such trauma at her age and pray Kelly finds her way back to a life full of grace and love.  Her family is living day-by-day and understanding the meaning of "living in the moment" and my prayers go to them also to stay strong as this time in their lives is humbling. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

justsimplyrhonda

• http://rhondaclemmons.4t.com
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 08:21:59 am »
My prayers go out to the Kelly and her family .....and also your Daughter ...and son cause that is hard on them also much love to you all

Rhonda

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 01:58:01 pm »
Jan,
Sorry I am so late in coming to this post.  Our computer blew up and the new one was just up and running as of last night.  My prayers are with Kelly and her family.  How are your kids doing?  I know how hard it is for them when something serious happens to one of their friends.  Kids feel so invincable this kind of thing is always very scary for them.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 11:23:19 am »
I'm sorry to have to tell you all that Kelly passed away this morning.  I had heard rumors to that affect this morning, and my daughter just called me from school to tell me that the principal broke the news to her and Kelly's other friends about an hour ago.

From what I heard the biopsy results from her surgery were finally received this weekend and her family was told that her brain cancer was stage 4.

Kelly never really regained consciousness from her induced coma, except to briefly wake up and tell her mother that she'd "love her for eternity"   :'(

She was basically being kept alive by machines, and her family made the decision to let her go.

Many thanks to all of you for keeping Kelly and her family in your thoughts and prayers.  Please continue to pray for them.

Today the world lost a sweet, beautiful little 12-year old girl - and in my eyes it will never be the same.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 11:30:23 am »
Jan,

It's not often that I cry..... but I shed tears now for such a tragic loss of what was a beautiful little girl.  May Kelly and our Robin be running free, free from pain, feeling total joy in their ever-loving souls.

My very deepest condolences to you, your daughter, to kelly's family and friends and schoolmates.  I endured this 39 yrs ago with Robin... and to hear this now.. I endure the same pain...

I am so very sorry.
xoxoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 11:42:54 am »
Oh gosh Jan,

My son lost one his dearest friends to cancer back in March.  I did post about it.  I'm so sorry.  Please watch your daughter closely, talk to her and make sure she does not fall into a depression.  Death of a friend is very hard on teenagers.  Anthony had a tough time but going to university has really helped him come to terms with the loss of Amanda.  He will always love her. 

I hope the school will bring in grief councillors.  Its important that the kids talk openly about their feelings.  Crying is good, for I am crying as I type this.  Make sure you hold your children just a little longer and tight tonight. 

The poor parents.  My heart goes out to them.  oxoxo

Anne Marie
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:37:43 pm by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Cheryl R

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 12:05:42 pm »
Jan,        I am very sorry also to hear of the loss of a young person.         My sympathy to her family and yours for  such a sad occurance.             It is hard for young people to experience grief and hope they get the support they need now to understand and live with it.
                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 12:37:37 pm »
Oh Jan, I'm so sorry.  That is not the news I wanted to read when I saw you post.

I feel so awful for your kids.  That is a horrible thing for kids to have to deal with.  I hope that someday your daughter will be able to look back and realize how lucky she was to have had Kelly in her life, even for such a short period of time, and how lucky Kelly was to be surrounded by good friends and family.  It sounds as though she lived her life to the fullest right up until the end - and if you ask me, that's a pretty good way to do it.

Hug your kids extra tight from me tonight.  I know I'll be holding onto mine a little longer than usual when I tuck them in tonight.

I'll be keeping her family in my prayers.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 12:44:59 pm »
Jan~ 
I'm so saddened for everyone - you, your kids, her family.  I was just so taken by surprise...I guess I was just thinking it would be an update.  I'm with Lori...it makes me appreciate and love my girlies a little more.  I need to remember to never take what all I have been blessed with for granted!
Hugs to you,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 01:24:23 pm »
Thanks everyone.

It's probably not too terribly important, but I was told mistakenly that Kelly's family had decided to remove her life support.  That was not the case.   

For what it's worth, I now know that her family was praying not to have to make this hard decision because they feared she would survive the removal and continue to live in a vegetative state.  Thankfully, their prayers were answered and Kelly passed on her own at 1 a.m. today.

I think I have a need to write this, even though it's pretty irrelevant, because I'm having a hard time "finding God" in this whole situation.  The fact that her family's prayers were answered is giving me some strength.

I will definitely hold my kids a little tighter and hug them a little harder tonight.

Jan 

Kaybo

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 01:36:31 pm »
Jan~
God is always working for us but it is VERY hard to see it a lot of the time unless we really look for it!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 02:07:51 pm »
Jan - As a parent, I cannot even fathom what you and they are going through.  I just read this, and I'm sorry that I just got around to it.  My deepest condolences to you, your family and theirs.  I agree that I'll hug mine just a little tighter tonight because of this.  Prayer can be powerful.  I'm encouraged that prayers of the family were answered.

Take good care of you and your family.

God bless!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 02:48:12 pm »
Jan:

I had a sinking feeling when I saw the 'new post' icon and your name on the line that this might be bad news.  Unfortunately, my fears were fulfilled when I read it.  My condolences to Kelly's family and especially to your daughter, who must be devastated by the death of a friend at age 12.  The last words of Kelly definitely brought tears to my eyes.  I won't pretend to truly understand what Kelly's family is going through but my heart goes out to everyone involved. 

I had a childhood friend die when I was eight years old.  Long story I won't bother to relate but it could have been me.  I still think about him now, some 57 years later and have visited his grave.  I wasn't allowed to attend the funeral then but I've carried the little guy in my memory all these years.  Your daughter will likely do the same for her departed friend, Kelly.   

As others have stated and you probably already knew, this is a traumatizing event in your daughter's life and you'll need to do whatever you can to reassure her.  I won't presume to tell you exactly how to do that as every parent knows their child so much better than anyone else, especially one who hasn't met her.  I'm sure you'll answer her questions and let her know that her friend, at 12, will be in heaven.  Personally, I believe that God has a purpose for everything and a plan for our lives.  I also truly believe the old cliché 'she's in a better place'.  The fact that Kelly's family had their precious child for 12 years has to be some comfort to them.  They'll never, ever forget her.  Your daughter won't, either.  That memory is what we cling to and I believe is God's way of helping us grieve and then, go on.   

God bless Kelly's family and your bereaved daughter. 

Jim
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:50:57 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.