Author Topic: Radiation study results  (Read 4496 times)

goinbatty

Radiation study results
« on: October 23, 2008, 01:15:29 pm »
I thought everyone would be interested in this article.

http://www.emedicine.com/ent/TOPIC668.HTM#GammaKnife

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:31:53 pm by sgerrard »
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: GK study results
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 03:03:16 pm »
terrific read! thanks for sharing this!  :-*

question/suggestion... since this covers so many different aspects of radio-treatments for AN's (if you scroll and read the entire link/website), are you fine with renaming this thread since it's more than just GK? 

Great read for discussion as well. Where the report was issued 2 wks ago, I found it interesting and would love to hear (like you) everyone's thoughts on it!

thanks again!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

goinbatty

Re: GK study results
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:40:56 pm »
Ok by me to change the name but not sure how.  I got that article from an auto email I subscribe to Medscape.  it's free and list the most up to date research results and such.  I was so shocked to find this on there today.  It's very technical but the most interesting parts are the results/conclusions.  Can you go in and change the name?  If not, just let me know how and I'll be more than happy to. 
Thanks,
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm

sgerrard

Re: Radiation study results
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:36:24 pm »
Done!  8)

I took a quick look at the article, but haven't tried to digest it yet. Did anything in particular catch your eye?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 05:36:56 am »
Thanks Sandra for being open to changing the thread name (if you chose to "Modify" the original/first post you did, you should be able to change the thread name!) :)  Thanks Steve for handling!

For me, in reading the overall info re: single dose vs. fractionation... for overall outcome, seemed to be of most interest to me. Seems (if I read it right) that it was noted that fractionating is definately the way to go for hearing preservation.... I'm still absorbing the info about surrounding structural hit of radiation single dose vs. fractionated.  Will come back after I reread (with more time vs. the skimming I did yesterday).

Thanks again all!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 07:59:49 am »
Sandra:

I skimmed the article but to be honest, skipped to the concluding comments and focused on fractionated radiation because that is what I had (following debulking surgery).  It seems my neurosurgeon was correct when he said that was the way to go for the best overall results.  I'll peruse the entire article when I have more time.  Thanks for posting it - Good information.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

goinbatty

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 07:01:40 pm »
I actually read it all but the most important info is the result/conclusions and also complications.  After reading it, I suppose it reaffirmed my treatment choice for me.  So far, so good. 
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm

linnilue

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 11:02:30 am »
I thought everyone would be interested in this article.

http://www.emedicine.com/ent/TOPIC668.HTM#GammaKnife

This is an excellent article.  I am so very glad to see such a well defined study.  Finally.
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:47:37 pm »
This is an excellent article.  I am so very glad to see such a well defined study.  Finally.

Well if it is good enough to bring Holly out of hiding, it must be good! Hi Holly, how are you?

I have read a bit more, and I am finding things I like. It does seem like it has a bit of that "reluctant acceptance" of radiation, meaning it is not exactly enthusiastic about it. But the gathering together of various studies, and the summary of all the results, seems to be very useful.

Steve

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 10:54:59 pm »
Everything you always wanted to know about irradiating AN's, but were afraid to ask....  :)

It does seem like it has a bit of that "reluctant acceptance" of radiation, meaning it is not exactly enthusiastic about it.
I noticed in the header that the article was written by a surgeon.  I think this is as enthusiastic as most of them get about radiation.  ;)

2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 03:41:39 pm »
Great find !!   Especially since its dated October of this year!

GM 
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

linnilue

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 05:54:11 pm »

Well if it is good enough to bring Holly out of hiding, it must be good! Hi Holly, how are you?

I have read a bit more, and I am finding things I like. It does seem like it has a bit of that "reluctant acceptance" of radiation, meaning it is not exactly enthusiastic about it. But the gathering together of various studies, and the summary of all the results, seems to be very useful.

Steve
Well, I'm so happy to have been missed by my old commrade.  I haven't been on in a long time so when I started perusing and saw this article I was very excited to read it.  I agree with you that it requires much concentration and rereads. There is alot of important info there and much to digest.  aren't you glad to finally see some comparison in writing.  This is very good for the newly diagnosed.  Oh and FYI my tumor has finally shrunk by 3mm and one of the reasons that I had so many problems was that the tumor was sitting on one of the periforal nerves.  I ahven't had time to post in forever because I've been taking care of my 2 year old grandson 5 days a week with little help and it's exhausting.  Gald to be welcomed back.  Thanks, Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 11:31:27 pm »
Oh and FYI my tumor has finally shrunk by 3mm and one of the reasons that I had so many problems was that the tumor was sitting on one of the periforal nerves.

I'm glad to hear that the tumor is finally shrinking, that is good news. I hope you are also feeling better. The placement on some other nerve certainly seemed to cause some pretty unpleasant symptoms for you; I hope that has cleared up.

I am glad that the report gives radiation a fair shake, and it has some useful comparisons of the various radiation methods - as you say, it should be useful for the newly diagnosed.

Take care, Holly, and join us when your grandson gives you a chance. :)

Steve

mk

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 07:37:42 pm »
I finally got around looking this very interesting article in detail. I even checked some of the original references, since I have access to the medical database from the University library  8).
Although the article does a good job summarizing the findings from many studies, it doesn't provide some important details in some cases. For example, in the report on GK from the Japanese group (Hasegawa et al), where there were quite a few failures and complications, what is not mentioned is that all these referred to very big ANs (larger than 3 cm, up to even 4 cms). Discounting these cases, overall the success rates seem to be quite good, at the lower doses used nowadays.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.