Author Topic: Facial Numbness  (Read 2068 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Facial Numbness
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:49:29 pm »
Since my first surgery in October of 2004, I have had facial numbness, not paralysis, but numbness. I can't feel anything at all on the left side of my face/head. My left eye won't tear and for some reason I have extremely dry/red skin on that side of my face. My Doctors maintain that there is a possibility that feeling could return at some point, but two years into it, I have nothing. My question to the AN force here is that I'm wondering if anyone here actually had feeling come back after a long period of time (years) and if so, did everything just kind of return to normal (tearing, skin)? I'm to the point where I'm kind of giving up hope, but it's disheartening to think that I'll never regain what I once had. Any happy stories out there?

Battyp

Re: Facial Numbness
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 05:39:28 pm »
Scott I'd be curious to hear too!  I'm 10 mos out and have been given conflicting opinions between the surgeon and ENT.  My throat is affected darn I wish I could remember that big fancy term they used.  Surgeon said give it more time and is hopeful the numbness will resolve but a little hope would go a long way in restoring that faith :o)

chrissmom

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 05:55:45 pm »
I think that I might be able to relate to your discussion on numbness.  Three years ago I had a parotid gland tumor about the size of a walnut behind my right ear.  The facial nerve was involved and the nerve was stretched a little so I had a little drooping.  It went away but my jawline area was numb and my ear is still numb.  I feel occassional twitches and the nerve is slowly regenerating.  Nerves do regenerate but very slowly.  The numbness in my jawline area is beginning to  disappear and feeling is starting to come back.  It's strange though, you can rub one area and feel it at the top of my ear !  So it continues to get better even after 3 years.  There is hope out there.  Do you ever feel twitches and strange twinges ?  That's the nerve waking up .

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 08:20:33 pm »
I call them zaps and zips...I just love the bug crawling sensation on my face...ewwww.  My son laughs when it happens as I keep trying to swat at the imaginary critters.  I'm so glad I can provide such comic relieft to him :o)

cookiesecond

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 03:31:23 am »
kids...gotta love them!
I do!
Take care,
Lynn