Author Topic: Does hearing ever improve after surgery?  (Read 1856 times)

arcteryx

Does hearing ever improve after surgery?
« on: June 16, 2006, 08:30:36 pm »
I had perfect pre-surgery hearing and am completely deaf in the AN ear now. The surgeons said they left the nerve intact and had a positive ABR response during the entire procedure, but still no luck.

Did anybody ever lose hearing during surgery only to regain some at a later time?

Thanks!

Static

Re: Does hearing ever improve after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 08:35:27 pm »
One of my initial symptoms was hearing loss and I expected to lose my hearing which I did.  I was told the tinnitus would lessen with time but guess what?  Anyway, everyone is different, maybe more time is needed.  Hope things work out for you!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

staypoz

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 01:50:50 pm »
My hearing did improve cconsiderably from the first post-op checkup to the 6 month checkup.  Hope you have the same experience!   

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 03:35:42 pm »
Mine was improving too. It was looking great for me until my recent reoccurance. I now have lost a little ground. I do have enough that the doctors believe I am a good canidate for a hearing aid. As I understand this,if the hearing is totally lost then devices like Baha can be helpful. Since I have some low-frequency hearing then a standard hearing aid should help. I am wondering about this newly acquired hummmmmmmmmmmmmm in my ear tho. Its about to get on my last nerve! ::)
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.