Author Topic: Tinnitus starting in non-AN Ear I'm worried  (Read 4121 times)

Mei Mei

Tinnitus starting in non-AN Ear I'm worried
« on: June 06, 2010, 05:34:33 pm »
Last week I had one incident of tinnitus for a few seconds in the non-AN ear and it happened a few weeks earlier.   It's now happened twice.   I never noticed it on the AN side, it just happened to me gradually, but now I am very sensitive to tinnitus and what it could me to me.  I am seeing the ENT surgeon for a follow up on the 14th and will ask about this for sure.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Mei Mei   very worried
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Tinnitus starting in non-AN Ear I'm worried
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:48:11 pm »
Yup, but mine did not start happening in the non-AN ear until about a year post-op.  I never had tinnitus pre-surgery.  Post-surgery I had it almost immediately, along with hyperacusis, in the AN ear only.  Now I have it in both ears, although it is much louder in the AN ear.  Most of the time I can successfully refocus on something else ..... except when I am in a noisy environment (loud restaurants, in a crowd, the crowd noise of a ballgame on TV, etc.).  When it gets too bad, I try to remove myself from the offending environment whenever possible.  My husband is finally clued in to the fact that when I become irritable, it is almost always because I cannot get out of the situation easily and he will assist me in finding ways out (mute the TV .....  ::)).

Since I have partial hearing in my AN ear, I have found that when I wear my hearing aid on a regular basis, it seems to calm the tinnitus.  I've had some issues with fluid behind the eardrum the past month so unable to wear it and the tinnitus has cranked up way too much!

There are treatments to reduce tinnitus, but I do not know of any guaranteed to get rid of it.  If anyone has any ideas, we'd all like to hear them!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 06:57:13 pm »
Thank you for answering me so quickly.   Then you didn't pursue finding out if you were getting another AN?   I thought it was a sign of an AN like my other ear.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 07:30:10 pm »
My two year MRI (February, 2010) was essentially the same as the one year MRI.  I have an "area of increased enhancement consistent with residual tumor" ..... the one year MRI said it could be residual tumor or scar tissue.  Since it did not change, I am going with scar tissue.  I refuse to let myself be chained to the fear of a recurrent tumor (all of our nightmares, I think).  Since my neurosurgeon is not concerned, I am believing that.  Next MRI is not due until February, 2011.  Obviously I would not let alarming symptoms go unchecked ..... but I think the tinnitus is rather normal.  My ENT and audiologist are aware of it and do not seem unduly concerned.

If you have other troubling symptoms, by all means you should check with your doctor and mention this.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 07:45:31 pm »
Mei Mei:

Remember as we get older, it's normal to lose our hearing & along with that, we often get tinnitus. I get it occasionally on my good ear & especially when I get really bad headaches. But I'm not worried about having an AN on that side. Relax.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:26:11 pm »
I have a couple friends who have tinnitus and MRIs showed they do not have an AN.Tinnitus can be caused by other things; for example, exposure to loud noise. So don't worry yourself about having an AN on your good side. It's not likely.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

kenneth_k

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 11:30:56 pm »
Hi Mei Mei.

I have tinnitus in both my ears, but I only had one AN. I agree, that you shouldn' worry to much.

Best regards, Kenneth

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:32:53 am »
Mei Mei,    My husband has tinnitus.      I was to an open house event at a friends Sat and in telling someone about my NF2 also found she has it.    Then the daughter of the friend also told us she has it.         Probably more people than we think have it.
    Not fun to have though!         I can't remember if I had it before we found the good side AN as has been awhile.  I possibly did a little.                                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

bell

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:24:29 am »
My Tinnitus has always seemed to be on the good side, hardly ever on An removal side, strange.  I am SSD and the doctors seem not to be concerned.  It does seem to have gotton better with botox, either coincedence, time is healing, or I am getting use to it. It really has not been an issue, my issue is headaches and head soreness still at 1 1/2 years post-op.  I would not worry to much.
Bell

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 03:33:29 pm »
Mei Mei ~

For what its worth: I've had mild tinnitus in both ears for years.  After my AN surgery and subsequent FSR treatments, nothing really changed.  I still have about the same (low) level of tinnitus in both ears.  I'm able to ignore it about 98% of the time and it doesn't impact my lifestyle in any substantive way.  I'm not a doctor and I can only speculate but I have to doubt that bilateral tinnitus indicates another AN.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mickey

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 08:12:00 am »
I have had my tinnitus for 30+ years now. I`ve tried every method possible with only one giving me minor relief called neuromonics. I`ve been so used to having this that its part of my "being " now and I probably would have to get used to complete quiet. I sure would like to see what it feels like and am definately on top of any recent developments with American Tinnitus Association. Still W+W 3 years with AN and going good. Best wishes, Mickey

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 06:25:55 pm »
Thanks everybody for your input on Tinnitus.   I really appreciate it.   The tinnitus in the good ear hasn't come back again this week so I'm glad.   By the way Mickey what is W + W ?   I haven't seen the term before.   I'll check out the American Tinnitus Association.

Take care,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 07:52:09 pm »
It stands for watch & wait, Mei Mei.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Mei Mei

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 07:33:18 am »
Oh, Good Morning Sarah Lynn...Thanks for pointing that out to me.   It takes a while to catch on to the lingo here.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo