Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 408794 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1500 on: June 14, 2010, 06:56:42 am »
I'm not big on violent books, but in the case of The Hunger Games, I felt it wasn't just gratuitous violence - it was necessary for the plot.

When I first started reading the book my son mentioned that his LA/LIT teacher this year (8th grade) had read it to the class.  He offered to tell me what happened in the end - but I didn't take him up on his offer.

I'm thinking that when I get the 2nd book I'll ask my son if he wants to read it with me since he enjoyed the first one so much.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1501 on: June 14, 2010, 12:21:04 pm »
I can read a book and say it is a good book in my opinion without liking it and this is the case with this set of books ... and like a cat I am curious to see how it ends in the third book which according to the scholastic order I put in is the "final chapter in the saga" ...

I think that it and The Giver are a little bit too much for 4th and 5th grade students , but they are on the list

I have read books that were historical in nature and had a lot of truth in them along with the author's personal input and interpretations of the time ... some I had to stop and come back to because of the violent nature of things ... when it is something I know really happened a book can really make me sad or maybe a better word is sorrowful ...and it is usually at the meanness of human beings and what we are capable of doing to each other ...

and these books though fiction bring on that same feelings ... only instead of the knowing that what is taking place is horrible as you do in a historical novel causing the feeling , it is that there is the possibility or rather the reality that people will continue to hurt and destroy each other because we are a stubborn hard headed and hard hearted species as a whole and don't always learn from our mistakes ...and maybe we are not as a whole hard headed stubborn and hard hearted species , but those are often the ones that bully their way through and create chaos and cause heartache and suffering for all 

In Tennessee waitng for a more cheerful book
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #1502 on: June 14, 2010, 01:18:18 pm »
I liked The Giver - read it to my boys when I was homeschooling them - definitely did some sensoring as I went along.  I would not consider it appropriate for young ones, but it was on the recommended list I had. 

I will, no doubt, read the other books in the Hunger series, but I'm not in any rush to do so.  I've heard/read that the 2nd one is not as good as the first - more just an interlude to the final one.  My interest is peeked, but not overwhelmingly so. 

Currently reading The Lost Hours by Karen White...had heard it was very good, but I'm finding it a bit predictable and shallow.  Am just enduring it to find out if I'm right about the "mystery."  I'm disappointed that I haven't liked it as I was initially excited to have found an author with numerous books that I could read.  Has anyone read any of her books?  Maybe her other ones are better???  (See, Jan, this is one of my little "hijacks" we were talking about ;) )

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1503 on: June 14, 2010, 06:49:57 pm »
I just finished reading The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig and loved it.  It was a feel good book written by an excellent author.  He writes a lot about Montana and the early days of the state.  This was one of my favorites by him.  This one left me with a full heart and a smile on my face. No horror stories here!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1504 on: June 14, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »
I noticed right off that The Hunger Games was written in the first person, so I was sure that Katniss would survive. Not so sure about Peeta though.

I was skeptical when the rules were changed to allow both tributes from a territory to survive if they were the last two, and sure enough, that was rescinded at the end. I'm surprised the gamekeepers did not think of the potential for double suicide, seems like they could have airlifted both out and allowed only one to survive. But they did not anticipate how popular the "romance" would be, either.

The initial choosing of tributes did also remind me of The Lottery. Also does anyone remember the movie Dragonslayer? There was a similar drawing among young virgins for sacrifice to the local dragon. One girl's father had his daughter (the eventual heroine) dress and act like a boy to avoid the lottery. The princess, who finds out that she had been kept out of the lottery, substitutes her name for every other tile in the pot, and is unfortunately char-broiled before she can be rescued. It's an interesting film with cheesy early '80s special effects. See it if you get a chance.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #1505 on: June 14, 2010, 08:11:09 pm »
Priscilla~

I hope you are saving these books for me!!   ;)

We should be arriving at the in-laws the 2nd...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1506 on: June 14, 2010, 08:45:42 pm »
Sounds like things are moving right along, Kay. Praying that the girlies stay healthy from here on out.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1507 on: June 14, 2010, 09:27:39 pm »
Amen to that!  Your house looks terrific and we will pray for a quick sale!

And now....back to books :)  Having read Suzanne Collins other books for kids (younger audience), I can appreciate the way she creates a world, however strange it may be, and populates it with characters you really like or really dislike.  All of her characters have spunk,  personality, and some measure of a sense of humor. Sometimes you find that one character you thought you did not like, ala Katniss's mentor, turns out to be someone with some saving graces.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:12:48 pm by msmaggie »
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cindyj

« Reply #1508 on: June 15, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »
Yes, Prescilla, I found all of the characters interesting, whether good or bad.  Thought the author did a great job of keeping the book light at points, despite the heavy/morbid topic.  I was unsure if I would like the book once I saw that it was written for teen readers...however, I was pleasantly surprised by it!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #1509 on: June 26, 2010, 05:16:16 pm »
I broke down and bought "The Help" last night - obviously I can't check one out from the library...

Don't know how much I'll get read...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #1510 on: June 27, 2010, 04:23:14 pm »
Read The Help when it first came out ...had to look through my books and find it so I could re-read it ...was my plan to read on it at night last week to unwind each day after camp but it didn't happen ... only 46 pages in ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1511 on: June 27, 2010, 07:43:06 pm »
Haven't read anything decent in weeks, but this week I'm placing an order with Amazon.

I'm going to order the Hunger Games #2, The Art of Racing in the Rain (recommended by my partner in crime, Lori) and Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salad.

I'm curious to see what those skinny chicks do eat  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

« Reply #1512 on: June 28, 2010, 05:21:40 am »
tell me about skinny chicks ... someone at school said it was a good read ... Art of Racing was good ..passed it on to a dog loving friend

I read another chapter of The Help last night and getting back into it , but I think I need some light comedic intervention in my reading after or during it's reading ...drives a friend nuts that I can read and comprehend two or more books at a time ...kids in school take more than one subject at a time and manage to soak up all their subjects  ... I try to explain to her that just because it is reading and reading to learn that it is possible to do ... she is not a reader and manages about 2 books a year and can't comprehend my thirst for a book .....
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1513 on: June 28, 2010, 05:45:38 am »
I read multiple books at the same time too, Soundy. I know people who can follow half a dozen soap operas and keep the plots and characters straight, why not books?

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1514 on: June 28, 2010, 10:32:28 am »
Me too.  I had to read so many books for school and also try to keep up w/my book group, so reading multiple books at one time has been the only way to go.  In the summer I give myself a break and try to read for just pure pleasure, which for me means a murder mystery or two, some chick lit, maybe a suspense or historical fiction of some sort.  My book group calls them beach reads, or airplane reads....something you can put down and pick up as needed. 

Priscilla