Author Topic: Swelling  (Read 4438 times)

kiwi

• Facebook
Swelling
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:10:06 pm »
Hello

Before I start panicking and rush to the doctors I need some opinions from all the posties..

I am 3 weeks post op today and I had my stitches out last week, since then there has been a lot of swelling around my incision.  It starts just round the corner from my left eye and seems to be the size of half an egg.  The rest of the swelling seems to be sausage shape under the incision.  Is this normal?  I was hoping that it is just what happens after a long difficult surgery? I thought it might just go away in time but its making me nervous now.

For the good news anyway I am back to work today just part time and really looking forward to counteracting the boredom of recovery...I work from home on my computer so I am not overdoing it.  I am still having some facial issues and I dont see them resolving themselves till my head calms down.  I have the biggest wingnut due to the swelling pushing my ear down and out, my family and I find it quite amusing.....I look like spock!

Look forward to your advice...thankyou

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Swelling
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:21:48 pm »
Jacqui .....

It would be best not to panic, whatever it is.  I'm curious ..... was there no swelling when the stitches came out last week and now swelling the size of half an egg?  Did it come up overnight after the stitch removal or slowly ever since?  Do you have more pain in the area as a result?  Any redness?  Any fever?  Could be a sign of infection .....

It is possible it is a late result from a difficult surgery, but I do not think it can be called "normal."  I think a phone call to your surgeon's office is in order for an opinion.

Here's hoping it is nothing to be concerned about, but it is always a good plan to check with your doctor for anything out of the norm.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:45:30 pm »
Jacqui ~

I completely agree with Clarice's advice - and I hope you take it. 

The incision-area swelling may or may not be 'normal' but it seems like something that should be looked at by your doctor, just as a precaution.  No need to panic until or unless a real problem is found by a medical professional.  Make the call but don't stress yourself based on vague, unsubstantiated fears.  I'm sure that, even if a problem (infection?) is found by your doctor, it will be inconvenient and annoying - but not a catastrophe.  Please let us know what the verdict is once your doctor has observed the swelling.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:48:53 pm »
There can sometimes be what is called a seroma which is an area of serous fluid.    It is not infection but may need to be drained.   I had one past the surgery for my facial neuroma and was by the incision area where they had took some nerve out by my ear for the nerve graft.  it went away in time but as said was drained by my dr.     Serous is a yellowish to sometimes blood tinged fluid. 
So I would make a call to your surgeon.                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:37:19 pm »
ok, well upon the good advice I have been given, I visited my doctor and she is not concerned at the moment.  I have been given instructions to keep an eye on it and see if it gets larger but they seem to think this is just tissue swelling.  I have no pain nor any temperature, the wound is healing well and clean so all good for now....

Thanks to those who replied.
Jacqui

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 10:25:18 am »
I'd like to add that I also had a goose egg shaped swelling around my incision..  I had no other signs of a CSF leak (dripping from nose, ear or mouth are tell tell signs).  My doctor told me that it was likely CSF fluid that the incision area and COULD develop into a leak.  I was put on a diuretic to keep the CSF pressure down.  Little did anyone know, I would have an allergic reaction to the med I was on that ultimately landed me back in the hospital almost 2 months after my surgery.. 

Just keep an eye on it, like your doctor said..  Make sure there are no other signs of a CSF leak and be sure to let your doctor know about any changes that you notice.

Maggie had the same goose egg thing on her incision area and it did develop into a leak... So, you want to be careful and pay very close attention to it until it goes away..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:22:01 am »
OMG!  This has turned into a spectacle.  Swellling got bigger so I was back to the docs again as some clear fluid starting coming out of my nose. I had spent 3 hours while they tried to decide on how to test the fluid coming outta my nose.  Anyway I have been sent home with a test tube to catch fluid from my nasal passage so that it can be sent away to the otherside of the country for testing.  I have an appointment with an ENT next week to assess the results. Apart from that I feel great and I am still working just part time and really enjoying the fact that life seems kinda normal.

Jacqui

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:55:23 am »
Apart from that I feel great and I am still working just part time and really enjoying the fact that life seems kinda normal.

Spoken like a true ANA forumite. That is taking the idea of a "new normal" to a whole new level.  ;)

Get well soon!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:54:48 am »
My  hospital collected my CSF fluid and sent it out to get checked for beta tranferrin to really make sure it was but had good idea it was. Did the surgery anyway to halt it.   I was surprised that it was sent out as this is a large teaching university hospital.           I just realized that was 4 yrs ago today that had the CSF leak surgery!         3 of my surgeries have been around now.        The facial neuroma was March 23rd and 2 weeks later the leak.       April 17th was the 2 yr ago one.   
Any newbies don't get super scared over this happening.    My hospital had used a new colloidal implant to help hold things in place and 3 people got leaks so back to their previous more expensive product.           Medtronic had made the new one which was not good to know!   Hope the rest of their extensive list of medical products are better as some pretty important ones.
                                                               Cheryl R         
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:21:08 am »
Apart from that I feel great and I am still working just part time and really enjoying the fact that life seems kinda normal.

Spoken like a true ANA forumite. That is taking the idea of a "new normal" to a whole new level.  ;)

Get well soon!

Steve

Yes, only an AN-er would consider life "normal" with an egg on her head and stuff leaking out of her nose!   :D  We are a resilient bunch, aren't we?  Good thing!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.