Author Topic: post op ans expecting  (Read 8967 times)

Jwh

Re: post op ans expecting
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 01:09:59 pm »
Hi,

I had a vaginal delivery 14 months after my AN surgery.  Everything went great!!  I had my second child 4 years later (vaginal delivery) and found out that I had a regrowth (not scar tissue as first indicated) a couple months later.  Everything went well during that delivery as well.  Sooo, I've been through it all and never had a problem.

Do what you feel is best for yourself......

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

kristin

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 07:54:45 pm »
cheeka,

thanks for bringing this up...i would have never thought that i might have to have a c-section after my surgery. i'm not preganant now, but we're hoping to be soon!! so now i'll have to ask my OB/GYN and see what she has to say about it..

kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

linnilue

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 08:13:14 pm »
Oh Boy...I can't stand back here.  I am amazed at all the attitudes from all the entries.  I used to be a nurse in one of the busiest ob/gyn hospitals in the country, we did 10,000, yes ten thousand births per year.  First of all cheeka, where do you live?  I don't think that anyone here is allowed to give an opinion here.  It is the decision of the OB doc and the patient and her AN team.  If I lived near a high risk ob/gyn hospital I would get an opinion from one of the high risk ob docs.  They will know in what direction you should go and what would be the SAFEST way to deliver in conjunction with the opinions from your An team.  This should be a team decision for sure.  i have seen everything, believe me  and most outcomes are excellent and that I know to be true.  I always get asked about the rarest of things and honestly the truth is that most outcomes are good.  This being said, what I saw was almost always done in a team approach and this I advocate for you.  You and your team make an informed decision because this concerns two lives, not one.  I wish you well and a very happy and healthy pregnancy and delivery.  Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 06:39:09 am »
cheeka, regardless if you go vaginally or by C-section, we wish you all congratulations.... a healthy, bouncing baby.... and the joy it will bring to you all.

Congrats from Phyl, Iain and Beanie!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

FlyersFan68

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 04:14:14 pm »
Cheeka...

I hate to sound cynical here, but for several reasons, OB-GYNs love to give C-sections. Many will try to convince you one way or another to go that route. In this era of cover-your-tush medicine, C-Sections are often touted to be safer because they can be scheduled, so there is less opportunity for the doctor to miss the birth. They also can be scheduled so that the birth does not interrupt the doctor's golf game on Saturday. Last but not least, C-Sections generate more $$$ for the doctor and his team. The one who gets the short end of the stick is the mother. If a woman wants a vaginal birth, then she should not have to fight for it. I seriously doubt that your AN surgery is of any concern. Your neurosurgeon is the expert.

Anyway, sorry that you're having to deal with this and that you cannot just enjoy your pregnancy. If you really want to have a vaginal birth, I suggest you find another OB/GYN, one who supports you, not one who is either unsure or who is trying to manipulate you through fear. I really hope you have a happy and enjoyable pregnancy. Best wishes...

Bruce

No problem Brucie. I'm no expert (not nearly) but like Sam mentioned we are not doctors so to say that c-sections are touted to be safer I'm not sure if I agree. IMO, I thought doctors today try to steer away from c-sections because it's a surgical procedure and involves more risks. I guess if the c-section is justified and the doctor and team makes more money (like you said) then who cares that they and the hospitals make more money. I don't think it's about money or a golf game but hey I could be wrong. I hope not but could be.  My point was that there may be other factors involved in addition to the AN surgery like I've already indicated. Maybe there's high blood pressure...I just don't know but that's the point. We just don't know. We don't even know the doctors. I do hope Cheeka keeps us updated all the way because "I love the babies".  I just think it's one thing to suggest finding another doctor but giving reasons like money and golf games sounds out of line to me. Those indications sound judgemental and opinionated. Like you,  I wish Cheeka the best (of course) and like everyone else here too and I'm sure Cheeka will do what's best like all mommies do. Have a great weekend! Did you say  10 ????

Mark

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 05:20:41 pm »
Just to throw my two cents in to the Ob Gyn discussion. I've read a number of articles in the last year that basically highlighted a couple of points

1) There is a crisis in the number of Ob Gyns practicing today, particularly in small towns across country
2) Primary reason is the high malpractice rates for this specialty which are near or currently exceeding the traditional insurance premium leader which has been the anesthesiologist
3) Despite their other draw backs , not the least of which is its a surgical procedure, many Ob-Gyns DO FAVOR C-sections because it has lower delivery risks and potential complications to the baby than a vaginal delivery.

So, while not commenting on this specific situation or Ob-gyn, Thanks to our distorted legal system and the costs it creates in healthcare, It is reasonable to state many of these docs do lean toward C-sections for reasons that are not always related to the medical condition of the mother / baby

Mark

CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001