Author Topic: post op ans expecting  (Read 8966 times)

cheeka

post op ans expecting
« on: July 04, 2007, 09:27:04 pm »
hello everyone!!!!
Just wanted know if anyone out there has experienced what i am currently going through.
I am recently pregnant 3-mths and my OB/GYN doc has some concerns. Because of my tumor operation
he is suggesting that i get a C-section. Because if I were to give birth vaginally all the pushing might put alot of pressure on my head.
I must admit though now (post-op) whenever i sneeze or cough i feel pressure in my head and sometimes get a slight headache which subsides within minutes.

I double checked with my nuerosurgeon and he seems to think i shouldn't have any ploblems with the pushing.
Although the neuro doc gave me a clearance
I now want to go the C-section approach because the OB/GYN doc instilled this fear in me.

I have one child now 6-yr old during my pregnancy and during labor i had the tumor growing in head and didn't even know it
and yet i had a safe a healthy baby by pushing and pushing and pushing and pushing with no complications in my head.   

13MM AN RIGHT SIDE
RETROSIGMOID
JAN 4,2006 IN NYC
BY #1 DOC/SURGEON

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: post op ans expecting
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 07:55:31 am »
Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

With the caveat that I know nothing about you and your particular situation...

Generally speaking, there's no reason AN surgery should inhibit your ability to have a vaginal birth - especially given that your body has already done this before!  I know many who have had babies post-op without issue.  Personally, I have a really big problem with any OB/GYN who suggests a c-section so casually.  I'd suggest talking to other OBs or midwives (preferably in a different practice).  Any doctor that makes you scared of your own body is doing you a disservice.  I know that if I were to get pregnant again, there's no way I'd want to go through the pain of a c-section recovery if I can avoid it.

Good luck, and in the end the choice is yours.  I just want to make sure you are given the right information so you can make an informed choice.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 09:09:23 am »

hello everyone!!!!
Just wanted know if anyone out there has experienced what i am currently going through.
I am recently pregnant 3-mths and my OB/GYN doc has some concerns. Because of my tumor operation
he is suggesting that i get a C-section. Because if I were to give birth vaginally all the pushing might put alot of pressure on my head.
I must admit though now (post-op) whenever i sneeze or cough i feel pressure in my head and sometimes get a slight headache which subsides within minutes.

I double checked with my nuerosurgeon and he seems to think i shouldn't have any ploblems with the pushing.
Although the neuro doc gave me a clearance
I now want to go the C-section approach because the OB/GYN doc instilled this fear in me.

I have one child now 6-yr old during my pregnancy and during labor i had the tumor growing in head and didn't even know it
and yet i had a safe a healthy baby by pushing and pushing and pushing and pushing with no complications in my head.   

Hi, cheeka:

Although I (obviously) haven't been in your exact situation, I concur with Brucifer on all points.  If your neurosurgeon has given you the O.K. for a natural birthing process, I would listen to him.  Your OB/GYN seems a bit too eager to perform a Caesarean delivery.  Either he is being ultra-cautious or simply doing what is most convenient (and lucrative) for him.  I would definitely seek a different physician for your pregnancy.  In my (non-physicians) opinion, your OB making you now fear a natural, vaginal birth borders on a lapse of ethics.  However, cynicism aside, he may be simply telling you what he thinks is best for you.  Even with the best of intentions, that doesn't mean he is correct.

Ultimately, you must weigh both options (C-section vs vaginal delivery) and come to an informed decision, not based on fear but on knowledge.  I doubt your current obstetrician is going to help provide the kind of knowledge you need.  I suggest seeking a different, more open-minded obstetrician.  I wish you all the best with that search.  I also want to congratulate you on your pregnancy and your decision to consult other AN patients on this issue.  While we can't offer medical advice, we can offer you practical advice and I hope you can use it.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:08:53 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 09:42:30 am »
I know shorty after surgery I was given a list of things to avoid. A few months after surgery during a follow up I asked for the things I should forever avoid. My surgeon said "None,  Go Live & Forget" There Are No Restrictions! I can understand your concern for natural childbirth following surgery and I hope the ladies who can relate will share their experiences. If the professionals feel it's safe then it proabably is but glad your asking...gotta look out for #1 ..try not to step on #2.

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 10:38:43 am »
Brucifer is way out of line, givivg medical advice. Don't forget there is that patch in your head preventing a spinal fluid leak. During strenuous pushing your blood pressure could go way over 200 or even 250mm systolic, and this would be reflected in your intracranial pressure.  Listen to your doctor, and get other medical opinions if you want, but don't listen to Brucifer, who has no experience being treated for AN, or any other medical experience!!!!
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 11:37:46 am »
I remind everyone to be respectful of all others here... no flaming allowed per site Nettiquette:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=4.0

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 11:57:32 am »
I must agree with Sam here.  The suggestion from your OB could have come perhaps from experience with craniotomies himself or a friend/family member.  My dentist and recently general surgeon know someone personally who have had AN's removed surgically so they are intimate with post surgical issues.  I personally cannot handle much pressure put on my noggin from straining to lift heavy objects, certain postures in yoga or just chin to chest head position for period of time.  These can cause head pressure and if I don't stop then and there a headache will occur.  I believe your doctor is considering your best interest here.  Of course you can deliver vaginally as you have in the past as your vaginal canal is not compromised, but AN surgery has compromised things elsewhere. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

FlyersFan68

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 12:10:20 pm »
Flaming Aside..(no flamer here ;)) I agree with Sam. When I initially read the post by Brucifier I figured why bother but glad to see others feel the same. We shouldn't let ones opinion on the entire medical community interfere with the facts and ones own possible respect for their treating physician.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 02:16:50 pm »
Doctors are not infallible gods and suggesting that an obstetrician may be manipulating a patient to undergo a surgical procedure that may not be necessary is not a form of blasphemy. 

Bruce simply suggested, admittedly cynically, that 'cheekas' obstetrician may not have her best interests at heart.  He hardly offered 'medical advice'.  Her surgery was 18 months ago, her delivery date is obviously sometime in December or January....that will be around two years after her surgery.  Her neurosurgeon, presumably the doctor who operated on her AN, cleared her for a vaginal birth.  Perhaps her obstetrician is wrong?  Could that be?  Suggesting he is and advising the poster, who is -  thanks to her OB/GYN -  possibly unnecessarily worried about her original plan to deliver her baby vaginally, to seek another obstetrician,  is one man simply stating his opinion - not giving 'medical advice'.  She is quite free to ignore it if she pleases as Bruce never pretended to be a physician so I see no need for all the acrimony. 

Bruce advising 'cheeka' to get a second obstetricians opinion on this important issue is just common sense and if we can't even offer that here, than why bother?   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 03:03:28 pm »
Doctors are not infallible gods and suggesting that an obstetrician may be manipulating a patient to undergo a surgical procedure that may not be necessary is not a form of blasphemy. 

Bruce advising 'cheeka' to get a second obstetricians opinion on this important issue is just common sense and if we can't even offer that here, than why bother?   

Jim

My feelings are that there may be other things involved that we (including Bruce) are unaware of adding to the suggestion for c-section (age/health factors/body changes)
Im sure her doctor has many deliveries scheduled and doubt he or she is playing golf on Staurdays. That may be on Sundays! Kidding Aside..I think the doc wants to reduce any unexpected risks.

Raydean

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 03:54:57 pm »
I think that Flyerfan 68 brings up and important point that there are probably other factors involved beyond the AN issue.  The bottom line is what is in the best interest of the mother and child.  Just as microsurgery and radiation are valuable tools in the treatment of AN's  Natural deliveriesand C sectionsboth result in healthy happy babies and mommies. 

I think it was wise to consult with the neurosurgeon for his/her perspective from his specialty viewpoint.
But he/she won't be the one delivering the baby.  The OB's concerns are valid  and he/she  has the baby and Cheeka best interest at heart.  Things can change/happen so fast in the process of birthing. He/she could be trying to ensure the safest delivery approach.

On a personal note  Yesterday we celebrated my grandson's 9th birthday. (yup a natural 4th of July baby) Truthfully he is my pride and greatest joy.  Aaron was born via emergency c section.  It had nothing to do with  a golf game, or more money, or scheduling for convenience purposes.  It had everything to do with saving his life.  I remain thankful that c sections are an option.  Aaron is living proof. 

Cheeka, I am so happy for you.  I believe that over the years we have had 3 or 4 babies born after AN treatment.  I'm hopeful that one will reply to your post.  I'll be waiting for the time you post a picture of your beautiful baby!

Hugs
raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jeanlea

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 09:34:20 pm »
There have been people on the forum in the past who have had babies after having an AN. Check out this link.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=430.0

Hope I linked it correctly. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

marg

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 12:11:23 am »
Hi Cheeka,
    Congratulations on the coming baby  :)  !  I was looking in another section of the forum before I got here and saw this entry that you might want to read.  I have no personal bias on which kind of birth is better ... I have 2 children.... the first born natural the second born by C section.  In my case my second baby would have never have lived  if I had kept pushing - we found out later that the umbilical cord was around her neck 3 times.  It would have been nice to have delivered my second one natural (since I had already gone through 20 hours of labor already) but I was just grateful that the C section was available..... or neither of us would have lived.  You must check this out for yourself.... it's never bad to get a second opinion ....
     As far as the below quote goes... you might want to e-mail Cheryl and ask if the CSF leak was due to her  AN treatment.  I just wanted to get this info. to you right away.... not to scare you but so you could see that  CSF leaks can happen much later after surgery ( I was really surprised by this...) and this seems to be one of the doctors biggest concerns.
Margaret

I had a CSF leak almost 5 years post op due to blowing my nose too forceful. What had happened was I was choking on a piece of bread and for some odd reason while beginning to choke it felt like I had inhaled the piece of bread, so after getting the choking under control, I began to blow my nose many times and as I said too forceful. All was fine, went to sleep, only to be awakened by a very wet pillow. My nose was flowing like a faucet every time I bent my head ever so slightly. I could also feel it dripping down the back of my throat. Went to the doctor and it was determined to be a CSF leak. I was given antibiotics and sent home to spend the next several days lying flat on my back. The flowing stopped around day 4, but I ended up staying in bed for 3 more. It also tasted salty, I normally experience the metallic taste, but this was much different. I have been fine since, but very careful when blowing my nose.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:29:27 am by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

matti

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 10:20:04 am »
responding to my quote from Marg.  My doctors would never give me an absolute on whether it was related to my AN, basically they said "we won't rule it out". It still haunts me to this day, as I never would have thought at 5 years post op that it was possible ???

Congratulations Cheeka and please keep us updated

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Lainie181818

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »
Congratulations Cheeka
Like the others I think you should also get a second opinion. I also think that you should enjoy your pregnancy and not be stressed about what could or could not happen. I think the C section route might be better for your peace of mind, but I am not an M.D.  I think you will get many different opinions, but ultimately it is your choice and you have to be confortable with it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Lainie.