Author Topic: Balance--Try this w/your eyes closed: How many seconds can you hold one foot up?  (Read 16438 times)

kippy6

I had my Translab surgery about 6 months ago. I am doing very, very well! I didn't think I had any balance problems, but realize now that everytime I turn a corner in my house, my shoulder is always hitting the doorway trim or the exposed corner of the wall. I'm thinking about starting up aerobics at a gym, but I'm wondering if I should test my balance a bit more first. I don't want to be falling over the step in step class!!

I recently read about checking your balance by closing your eyes and holding one foot up. I can only hold my foot up for 2 seconds without losing my balance. I wonder what is normal? So what would a 2 mean and what is the typical scale?

How many seconds can you hold your foot up with your eyes closed?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 09:54:16 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Jeanlea

I'm nearly 17 months out from surgery.  I have really good balance considering I only have the one balance nerve.  Even so, I can only stand on one leg with my eyes closed for 2 seconds, too.  Can anyone top that?  lol

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

rebarman

This is of the tests the PT had me do after getting out of bed for the 1st tme after sutgery last week. I stood up, fine, no problem. She said to lift 1 foot. Fine no problem. She said to close your eyes, and I promptly fell back onto the bed.   :)

I still haven't namaged to do it fot more than just a split second or so. I know it will get better with time
1.5cm x 1.4 cm AN on left side
Removed by Translab on Jan 29, 2007
Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson @ Emory Univ. Hosp.

HostMom

Well, I haven't even had my surgery yet, and my balance was tested as being just 28% off recently.  Nevertheless, I find it quite difficult.  I tried repeatedly, and was only able to maintain my balance between 2-6 seconds each time (more typically at the lower end of that range). 

My husband does not have an AN, and he can't do it for more than a second or two himself. 

I wouldn't be too concerned about it---or use it as the measure of your success at improving your balance!

Barb
2 cm AN left side with no hearing loss as yet (pressing into cerebellum, away from inner ear)
Expecting retro-sigmoid surgery at Providence in Southfield, MI 3/26/07
Drs. LaRouere ENT and Dr. Daniel Pieper NS

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
can't do it for more than 3 seconds....... use to be able to (in my yoga days) for time on end, but now.... pfffft!

Oh, well.....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
I tip over side ways!  I don't think I last a half second and I am eighteen months post op.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

jerseygirl

Hi,

For me it depends on which foot I stand. If I stand on my right foot and balance with the left, I have no problems. However, if I stand on my left foot and balance with the right one, I manage very wobbly 3 seconds with my eye closed. In fact, if I don't get enough sleep, I will have the same wobbly 3 seconds with my eyes open; I sometimes cannot even maintain my yoga poses when I use my right side to balance.

My AN on the right side was removed 18 years ago; I have a regrowth already pressing on the brainstem and another surgery is pending. I was always wondering why there is such a difference in balance depending on which foot I stand as it really affects my yoga. The only explanation I could think of is that my bad side (right) cannot send balance information to the good one (left), so when I use the right side to balance, the brain does not get input regarding body position in the absence of the visual information. Anybody else found this to be true?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Windsong

My An is on left side.

I tried doing what you suggested  and i cannot even start to balacne when i stand on my lfet foot and raise the right one...i sway as soon as i raise the right foot off the ground.

The reverse seems fine for a while... (stand on right foot lift left with eyes closed)

Interestiing...
thanks!
W.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
O.K. I had to try this balance 'test'. 

Like most, I can hardly go more than a second or two standing on one foot, my eyes closed and with the other foot raised.  However, in everyday life, I have no trouble walking, even on uneven surfaces, going up and down stairs, walking in the dark, etc. so I can't get too worried about not being able to do something I would likely never do, anyway.  I just assume that my balance won't ever be what it once (pre-AN) was but as long as I can navigate and function fairly normally, I'm good with that.

P.S. I think this thread probably belongs in the 'Balance Issues' section.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 02:15:12 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
P.S. I think this thread probably belongs in the 'Balance Issues' section.

Agreed Jim but JoeF and I don't have the "key" to move it to another forum.  But, it still falls in line with AN issues, so still safe here! :)  BTW, my cane is the only thing helping my balance.  Oh, joy... such a fashion statement I have...  P
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Jim ... I always like the way you think! I don't think I will ever need to worry about standing on one leg in the dark ...

I too can only do 2 or 3 secs without starting to fall

** as I look around the office to make sure no one is see me try this!  ;D **

I did recently order a "wading stick" ... which is special "cane" used for walking in fast rivers to fish for extra balance ... so far walking in fast moving water on un-even bottoms has been the hardest thing to overcome .. as I have gone for several "un-expected" swims last year  :o
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:35:56 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Can non-ANers do this?  I could stand on one foot till the cows come home with my eyes open (as long as one mof my knee-biting swashbucklers-to-be doesn't crash into me!), but only a few seconds with my eyes closed.  But now I'm curious if anyone else can even do it?  It's not something I tried a lot pre-AN...   ;)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jeanlea

I had my 13 year old son try it.  He could do it, but he was pretty wobbly.  I agree with Jim.  It's not a skill that I need to use in daily life. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Not for one second. And I'm in pretty good shape too!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Mark H

I can balance on either foot with my eyes open after a couple seconds of getting things centered, but the moment I close my eyes I start to wobble. I have to put the other foot down after 3 to 5 seconds. My AN's are real small, about 2mm on both sides.  ;D
Mark