Author Topic: music  (Read 3813 times)

Lorenzo

music
« on: January 31, 2007, 03:05:22 am »
Hi all,

this may sound (excuse the pun) silly, and it may have been discussed somewhere already, but here's the question; I like to listen to my iPod from time to time – at low volume I may add – but being deaf on one side really spoils the experience, Pat Metheny only sounds half as good. Anybody come across some type or ear phone that would give me the full spectrum of sound in one ear? I looked around in this little country of ours, but nobody i talked to has any suggestions how to solve it. Any sound engineers out there?

I only use it with headphones occasionally when i get up at some silly hour in the mornings, so I don't wake Her Crankyness from her sleep; wouldn't be worth my day! Usually during the day I have speakers attched to the iPod.

Any ideas, help, suggestions?

Ciao, Lorenzo

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: music
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:55:06 am »
Lorenzo,
I've tried and my husband has tried to find for me a headset like you are talking about.  One of the "techs" at Fry's  (big electronics super store) told my husband they are supposed to be getting something in soon.  We'll keep checking back and if we find something I'll sure let you know.
I liked that "Her Royal Crankiness"....she sounds related to my hubby!
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Lorenzo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:12:48 am »
BrendaO,

That would be great if you did find something! I'm even thinking of asking a sound engineer to rig somehting up... I don't know, there must be a maket for something like that!

:)  I avoided Crankiness again and managed to keep her peaceful by limiting my noise output. Normally she's far from a Royal Crankiness, don't get me wrong guys! But boy, wake her before her time... Oh la la! The only way to placate her then is a double fast cupppa tea! Works. Tried that on your hubby? Mug of coffee maybe?

Thanks BrendaO

Ciao, Lorenzo

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 08:11:07 am »
All you need is an inexpensive 1/8" stereo-to-mono adapter.  My husband found one for me at Radio Shack for a few dollars and it works great.  Here's one example:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102669&kw=2102669

I still have the extra earbud just dangling, but that doesn't bother me.  Does confuse others when they start talking to me thinking my left ear is available to hear them!  LOL!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:53:39 pm »
Excellent! Thanks Katie.. I must look and see if they deliver to this side of the Atlantic!
:)
Ciao, Lorenzo

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 01:48:19 pm »
Lorenzo,

Please be careful blasting stuff in to your one remaining ear. I know it can be tough. Take it from me.
I'm a musician and music has always been a big part of my life.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Lorenzo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 02:05:52 pm »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your concern!  I know, I'm always very careful with my good ear. In fact I permanently carry some ear plugs with me, for my good ear! Trust me, I NEVER blast anything, especially not music into my ears. In fact I listen to it only when i can hear it at a low level, otherwise I just don't.

Thanks again for tha warning, we do indeed need to be very cautious about using headphones with the good ear.

Ciao, Lorenzo