Author Topic: INSURANCE Question (Medicade)  (Read 5499 times)

justsimplyrhonda

• http://rhondaclemmons.4t.com
INSURANCE Question (Medicade)
« on: January 23, 2007, 05:47:15 pm »
I have a Question to anyone who may know ....I was Diagnosed in Dec 2006 with my 1.2 cm AN ....I had no insurance at the time went to a free clinic here in Virginia ....the night I went in.... there just happend to be an ENT at the clinic Dr Harter ....he saw me ...then told me to come in his office ....with no cost ... he did a hearing test ....and looked in my ear .....told me he wanted me to get an MRI ...I explained to him I had signed up for medicade.....which went through (thank god) so it covered my MRI ...then he referred me to UVA Hospital ...Dr Hashasaki....I seen him on the 15th ......I was scared to death....He wasn't .....I dont know how to say it  ...not hateful ....but just not real warm ....he says...we have three things we can do ....wait for a year....moniter it .....or Radiation therepy .....or surgery ....he said either way I go I would loose my hearing in that ear .....he said with the surgery ...he would have to cut the imbalance nerve .....and I could also have facial paralyses.....I asked him which would be the best thing to do ...he said hecouldn't tell me that ....he said he would send his report to Dr Harter....the ENT I saw that found it .......I asked him about the fatigue I have been feeling ...dizziness ....and I have also been depressed .....he said that the tumor wouldn't be causing any of that .....I just didn't have a good feeling about him ....my friend says it is the insurance I have ....does anyone know what options I have with medicade .....I  am so scared and dont know which way to turn

Rhonda

Raydean

Re: INSURANCE Question (Medicade)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 08:19:23 pm »
Rhonda

You could try looking up on the computer the larger hospitals in your area.  Most will have a section on what insurances they take.  Look and see if they accept yours.  You can also check out the doctors on staff.    Sometimes when you get into these high specialty Doctors they can come across indifferent and not caring.  I think most of us have come across a "Doctor God", we had a "Doctor God and Doctor Lessor God"  It may not of been your insurance at all, but rather the personality of the doctor. 

One of the positve things I read in your posting is that your Doctor gave you the 3 options of wait and watch, micro surgery and radiation.  It indicates that your tumor is smaller.  This will give you time to research your treatment options and to choose a treatment that you are comfortable with. And to assemble a medical team that has your best interest at heart.  Rhonda, it's important that regardless of treatment option chosen you choose a medical team with vast experience in the treatment of AN's for you to have the best possible outcome. Use this time to research doctors and options so you will know what's best for you.

Is there a AN support group in your area? ( Contact ANA National Office for the contact person for a group nearest you)  The support group is a valuable source of information on doctors in your area and a great place for emotional support.  It's truly a feeling of "arriving home' because each attendee has had the same fears as yourself. They will truly understand.

Rhonda, you aren't alone, i know it feels that way at times but this forum is full of people that will walk along side of you.  Let us know how we can help. 

Lots of hugs to you
Raydean
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:21:35 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 09:01:48 pm »
Rhonda
 I had a doctor tell me my an wouldn't cause headaches nor did I need the surgery I had but I can honestly tell you she was mistaken!  I was very fatigued before they found this sucker and suffered from depression.

Do you have hearing now?  There are treatments that can preserve your hearing but you have to have hearing first.  It's not fool proof but it's always worth a try in my opinion if you have hearing to try to save what you have.  I would see another doctor or at least get an opinion from House or Barrows or somewhere besides there to find out your options for treatment.  Call Medicaid to see what options you have.  You might have to call them several times to get an answer if they are anything like FL.

All my best!
Michelle

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 09:20:25 pm »
I think the largest teaching hospitals and centers have services for persons with Medicade insurance.  I would look for a doctor in one of those places in your area.  A professor in Otolaryngology would be the person to look for.  

Medicade Part A and B are important to have.

My ENT (who first diagnosed my AN) had an aunt who had radiation treatment for her AN in her late sixties.  She told him "It was the best thing for her to do".  I asked my ENT what size her AN was.  He said it was close to the same size as mine at 2 cm.

As long as your tumor is small you have time to look for treatment.  It is possible that the AN will not grow.  It is possible you will have symptoms.  But keep the idea that you still don't have to hurry for treatment. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:24:25 pm by Boppie »

Raydean

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 04:50:53 am »
Medicade Part A and B are important to have.

Boppie, your right with Medicare it's important to have Part A and B, and if you're eligible for Medicare the new part D for drugs.  It's also advisable to purchase a supplemental coverage to fill the many gaps.  Medicare is the coverage for Disable and Retired persons.

Medicaid is the State level of insurance and is alittle different then Medicare.  I think Rhonda falls under Medicaid.  But it is very possible to find excellent doctors with this insurance.  Some may require a referral process from the main provider so it's important to check that out early on. 

Best to all
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

justsimplyrhonda

• http://rhondaclemmons.4t.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 07:15:41 am »
Thank you all so much ......I will call UVA today ....see my Ent referred me to Dr Hashasaki ..he is a surgeon that told me all that .
My Ent dr is here in Roanoke ...his name is Dr Harter....Im supposed to see him tommowrow....I dont know if there is a support group here but I truely wish there was.
In the mean time I am so glad I found this site cause it makes me feel so much better ...haven't been a member long ....but I already love you all ;D
I really gotta do something about my depression ....cause I am getting to where I dont do anything hardly ....my daughter told me yesterday .....mom what can I do to bring you outta this ....I cried....I truely dont mean to be this way ....it is not me .

Thank you all
        Rhonda

Dealy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 10:15:17 am »
Rhonda-I would like to share my story with you that happened to me 18 years ago. I have never posted this on the ANA site but I can relate with you. It started with ringing in my ears. Hearing test-lost hearing to 50%. MRI showed a 1.5CM AN on my left ear. I remember my wife and I sat down and cried-what next. Well I lost my job-which caused me to lose insurance-we lost our house and my wife's dad died of a heartattack. This happened all with-in a 6 month time frame. Then I became depressed and could not sleep. So my local Doctor prescribes Halcion to help me sleep. Well I slept alright-did not realize I have an allergic reaction to this drug. Eighteen years ago their was no forum like this-no less computers-no one too talk to at all. The only option I was given was surgery which I did with-in 3 months of my original diagnosis. Yes I can relate-it almost seems overwhelming at times. Well 18 years later-here I am again because now I have a tumor-only bigger on the right side. However this time I had radiation this past summer. Hang in their- no one wants to be depressed-but at times we just get overwhelmed. Best and Wishes for you that all works out. Ron.

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:37:33 am »
Rhonda the depression is part of this process.  When you see your doctor ask him for something to help take the edge off if you need that.  It does take a few weeks for antidepression meds to get in your system.  Anxiety will also cause you to spiral into depression.  Trust me on that you are not alone!  We've all walked in your shoes and are here to help you. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 10:45:00 am »
Hi Rhonda and welcome :)

As you can see, all of us are here to help in any way we can and there are some really great thoughts/inputs noted to you, so we truly do understand. You are certainly not alone in this journey and as battyprincess (blows a kiss) noted, we all do walk in your shoes.  I know this journey can be overwhelming and scary, but, as you can see, we are all doing as best as we can and yes, life can and does move on.

You asked if there is a local support group. I'm not sure if you can get to DC, but there is an ANA Local Support group in Wash DC.  If you want further info to see what is available to you locally, whether it's an ANA local support group or someone noted on the "Willing To Talk" (WTT) list, please contact the ANA directly. You can reach them at:

Email:  info@anausa.org
Phone:  1-877-200-8211 (toll free number)

Please hang in there... we are all truly here to help you get through this.

Sending huggles to help.
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 11:59:39 am »
Hi Rhonda!

Nice to see - er, well, not so nice - a fellow musician here. I read one of your earlier posts where you stated that the Dr. said that he'd have to "cut" your facial and balance (vestibular) nerves with a 1.5cm growth? That just doesn't sound right to me. In my case
with a 5cm x 5cm growth they left a little behind so as not to harm the facial nerve. Preservation of the facial nerve is considered serious business with this type of surgery. Before my surgery, I had lengthy consultations with my neurotologist (ENT), Dr, McKenna at Mass Eye & Ear in Boston. He told me that there would be one person on the surgical team whose sole job was to monitor the facial nerve im order to protect it. As far as the balance nerve, although mine was left intact, I'm still not right and probably never will be; but I can get by well enough. My point being: If I could get around those hurdles with a growth the size I had, then why couldn't you? Maybe it's small enough so that you're a candidate for radiation or Gamma Knife. If you opt for surgery then please try to find a more experienced and skillfull surgeon!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 12:19:07 pm »
Oh, and Rhonda, I forgot to mention, I have Medicaid as well. Yet, I ended up with some of the best surgeons in the country. It's how the cards fall; it's where you live. I went to Mass General because it's close to where I live and is perceived to be one one the best hospitals in the world, and especially in the Neurosurgery dept. The fact that you're dealing with an inexperienced doctor has nothing to do with the type of coverage you have. If anything, Medicaid blows the rest of them away because it covers EVERYTHING!! You ended up with that guy because happenstance put you in the position to see him first. By all means, find another doctor; get a second opinion. You have plenty of time. I went for 5-6 years being stone deaf in my left ear and with double vision and sickening malaise before I obtained any treatment. All the while I was playing gigs, working like an animal, playing 4-5 nights a week!
    Keep in mind that, as lousy as it is to have to go through something like this, it is treatable and it is NOT cancerous. Just make sure you get the best treatment you can. You're worth it!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 09:28:26 am »
Rhonda,
  You may also want to seek a radiation (radiosurgery) consultation, to explore that option.  You're lucky to have a well known, and well respected GammaKnife (GK) center there at UVA.  Dr. Steiner has been involved with the GK since it's inception, and is well versed in treating acoustic neuroma.  Several people on this site have been treated with GK by Dr. Steiner.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW