Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

tinnitus and anti-depressants

<< < (3/3)

Rivergirl:
Tried anti depressants twice in the past two years, no help, background noise helps the most, luckily I like music.

Syl:
Amy:

I don't know how bad my tinnitus is compared to yours, but when I get headaches, it tends to get really loud. What helps calm the noise a bit is my hearing aid. It doesn't eliminate it, but it does calm it.

I just realized you are SSD so using a hearing aid wouldn't make sense.

Syl

Rick Everingham:
I've tried 3 anti-depressants since my surgery, none have helped.  I have simply decided to accept this is the way I will am and try not to let it upset me too much.  Sometimes, however, I want to scream when it gets really loud.  I try and stay away from loud noise and crowed rooms.  When it gets bad, I go to bed, darken the room, lay on my deaf side and turn on my box fan, usually after 30 minutes or so it calms down.  I still get the whooooshing noise, especially at night and when I am really lucky, I get loud explosions.

newmommyLA:
Wow Rick,
You're still getting whooshes and explosions 7 years later?!  That really bums me out.  I don't think AD's are a good choice for tinnitus, but now my neurotologist and psychiatrist and recommending anti-convulsants like Lyrica and Neurontin.  These are normally prescribed for epileptics or fibromyalgia, but they have had success with decreasing tinnitus.  These drugs calm the overactive neurons in the brain, so it makes sense that it might also calm the spastic neurons causing our tinnitus as well.  Of course, there are loads of possible side effects and I'm not sure if I'm going to try these or not.  If I did, I'd try the Lyrica.  I've hear more bad stories about Neurontin.

Anyone out there tried either of these?  Naturally, what might help tinnitus (drugs anyway), could also make it worse for a few people.

It's fun to be a scientific experiment!

I know we all have to eventually accept what we have for however long we've got it even if that means forever, but I can't seem to accept that I'll want to avoid crowds and loud noise for the rest of my life.  I'm only 35 and a new mother to a 9 month old boy.  How can I avoid noise at this stage of my life?!

Amy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version