Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

tinnitus and anti-depressants

(1/3) > >>

newmommyLA:
Well, I'm back posting again after a long hiatus and guess what?  I'm still posting about that blasted noise in my head.  I've just spent a fortune on biofeedback and rTMS ($$$), but neither offered any relief from the noise.  My docs wanted to increase my zoloft as I was on a low dose and I've noticed my T seems worse after the increase.  So I grab the prescription paperwork that came with the pills and find that ringing of the ears is a (less common) side effect.  There is so much debate online about whether anti-depressants help tinnitus or make it worse, but I'm very concerned about continuing with the zoloft now.  I started taking a low dose only a couple weeks after my 1st surgery and have been on it ever since.  Could this be what is making the noise so unbearable for me? 

Any of you tinnitus sufferers notice a difference in the noise if you take anti-depressants?  I can't believe how many conflicting articles there are out there. 

Amy

painter:
Amy,
My tinnitus is louder than ever, too, and I'm also on antidepressants. (Wellbutrin which is a generic form of Zoloft)  I just assumed it's all part of the package, so I've been trying to just accept it. But sometimes it's much louder than any other noise going on around me.  Maybe I'll look into it more now that you've mentioned the controversy.  Thanks for posting, and good luck.
Tom

Denise S:
Oh Amy, that just sucks (for lack of nicer word)    My tinnitus didn't even start until 2 1/2 months post op, but now days sometimes gets really loud.   I think of you OFTEN!    I am going through more though because remember after my surgery I had neck & spine issues flair up?  Well, I am going back to the neurosurgeon April 14th & just had an updated MRI to see if my other condition may be causing some of my issues.   One symptom can also be tinnitus, UGH!   My MRI reports say I have Chirari Malformation (where the brain stem is slipping down through the hole in your skull where it don't belong).   

Anyways, I wanted to post this link I put up awhile ago.   Under the one where I put something and it says ask docs (or something) it has a large list of medications that possibly effect tinnitus.   Zoloft is on there (so is that Wellbutrin).     I am on Cymbalta, but it don't help the tinnitus.    I did try the Xanax after talking with you and then reading on there Xanax is one of the only good ones for tinnitus.   Well, I think it did help some, by my doctor said it's like you need to take it regularly...every day.   Oh I hate taking a bunch of meds, so I am trying to deal with the tinnitus for now & my other issues.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO  sorry to hear the other things are not working!    UGH!!!!    It is interesting hearing from you though because just yesterday I was telling someone how much my tinnitus seems to go up & down and sometimes it is really bad.   They said "can't you just cut the nerve out since you are SSD and it will take care of it?"    I mentioned you and your story and told them evidentally it don't help often (maybe for a few).    I think I am still a bit confused how come we hear the tinnitus SO much, but our ear is deaf.     I am finding our brains and bodies are very strange!!

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11812.msg137965#msg137965

THINKING OF YOU.....shoot me an email anytime too, or call (I don't have a job since my surgery) :-(

Denise S

rupert:
I have been using the xanax.   One a day,  at night.   It seems to help.  Not completely gone of course but for me it works.    I have tried several tests.  All non scientific.

If I quit the xanax completely the tinnitus gets pretty bad after three to four days.   Every other day and it gets worse one day and better the next.   I get the best overall effect with one per day.    I will not try two or three per day do to the addiction characteristics.    I have been doing this for two months now.    When my prescription runs out I'm going to have a long talk with my doc.  on what this could do long term.   Bryan

Denise S:
Rupert,

Do you mind me asking what dosage yours is and how many times you do take it?    I was thinking of taking it at night, but luckily I can sleep through my tinnitus.   I'm like you though about the addiction characteristics.  Plus, it seems to make me a bit spacy and I refuse to drive when on anything like that.   

AND can you share with us what other tests you have tried?

Thanks
Denise

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version