Author Topic: Sharing my thoughts  (Read 4649 times)

lholl36233

Sharing my thoughts
« on: October 13, 2009, 05:12:32 pm »
Hi,

From what I've learned on this board, AN's start on the balance nerve.  It seems like my hemangioma started on the facial nerve (which I thnk is worse).

Feel free to tell me if that doesn't make sense?

Thank you.

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Vivian B.

Re: Sharing my thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 07:59:25 am »
Hi Laura,

I thought AN's started on the acoustic nerve. I am not sure about hemingiomas but I thought if it was growing over the facial nerve they would call it a facial neuroma. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 03:28:37 pm »
I think I Agree with Vivian, AN's are on the acoustic nerve.  As far as I am know AN stands for Acoustic Neuroma.

TJ

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 04:04:54 pm »
I thought that the 8th nerve was the hearing and balance nerve...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lholl36233

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 04:38:31 pm »
I took that from the other term for AN which is Vestibular Schwannoma.  I believe the balance nerve is the vestibular nerve???
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 05:16:53 pm »
Yes, the balance nerve is the vestibular nerve...

That's the extent of my medical knowledge :)

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 05:42:02 pm »
An AN (also known as Vestibular Schwannoma) is a benign growth on the 8th cranial nerve, which has 2 components, 1 for hearing, one for balance.

Please reference this page from the ANA home website:

http://www.anausa.org/what_acoustic_neuroma.shtml

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lholl36233

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:05:30 pm »
Thanks Phyl.

Which nerve is the facial nerve?  That is where my tumor is.

Jill Marie

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 07:38:05 pm »
Hi Laura,

The Facial Nerve is good old #7.  There's where my tumor WAS!  As far as that being worse than an AN tumor, it all depends.  Everyone has different results after the tumor is gone whether you have an acoustic or facial tumor.  It depends on how big the tumor is, exactly where it's located and how soon it is discovered.  I don't like the fact that I can't really smile &  I use eye ointment 24/7, but then there are others on this board that deal with balance issues and headaches and I wouldn't want to have those issues either.  Take Care, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 07:57:06 pm »
Yes, vestibular schwannoma is another term for an acoustic neuroma.

My AN was on the 7th and 8th cranial nerves.

Your IAC (inner ear canal) contains 3 nerves - balance, hearing, and facial.

I learned that from my neurotologist - since as an accountant I have no clue when it comes to anatomy  ;D

Hearing nerves are very delicate - so if they are injured, they do not regenerate.  Facial nerves are more resilent so they can regenerate over time.  If your balance nerve is destroyed, your body will compensate and learn to "manage" with one rather than two.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 08:22:00 pm »
Laura,

What you said in your original post was correct.

However, the good news for you is that while ANs arise *from* the vestibular nerve, which is why the nerve has to be cut to remove it, hemangiomas are not *part* of the facial nerve in the same way; they are exterior to it. Thus the facial nerve doesn't necessarily have to be cut to remove it!

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

lholl36233

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 07:56:01 am »
Thanks Lilan.

How is your facial nerve doing?  That is my number 1 concern.  Losing hearing seems minor to me compared to losing the facial nerve.

Waiting to hear when my next appointment is to plan my proton treatment...

Laura