Author Topic: Good news to share!  (Read 3721 times)

littlemissrory

Good news to share!
« on: April 07, 2007, 12:26:32 pm »
Hi all!

I wanted to share my good news and show some of the Newbies that are at the beginning of their AN journey that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I had my three year check up this week; the MRI and balance test on tuesday and the hearing test and office visit on thursday.  I marched into Dr Manghams office confident that all was well, and he quickly confirmed this. Then he gave a smile as he showed that my test results have actually continued to improve- the balance test which I'd had a 24% left side deficit was now at 6%...probably better then most "normal" people! My hearing on both sides is equal at a 3 (perfect being 0), so I guess it's that "selective " issue that plagues me at times...hehe.  I then said to him that "since I'm doing so well I won't need to come back for 10 years, right?"- he just laughed and then said "nice try, how about we do five (he's such a great doc I wouldn't mind stopping in to say hi anyhow).  So five it is...

I wish you all the best on your recovery, decision making and everything else.  Keep a positive attitude!  No matter how challenging, it will always help.

Cheers,
Rory

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Good news to share!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 12:48:23 pm »
Congratulations, Rory!

We love to read good news!  Your experience gives us all something to look forward to and proves that there is 'life after AN'.

Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Catflower

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 04:24:58 pm »
Thank you so much for sharing the good news about your journey.  It lightens my load considerably.

prabakaran

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:24:22 pm »
Hi,

That was really good news. One small question . Did you have the tinnitus problem? Had it reduced for you?

Cheers,
Praba.
Cheers,
Praba

Stevey

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:50:03 am »
Great news Rory,
Steve ;D
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD

littlemissrory

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 06:38:30 pm »
Hi Praba,

Yes, I actually have tinnitus in both ears with nearly perfect hearing.  Immediately following surgery it was worse and now I'd say it is back to were it was prior to surgery.  I'd say it was worse for maybe a month.

Maybe I'm so used to it after all these years- probably 10?- that it really doesn't bother me too much.  I'm fanatical about hearing protection (since I was so fortunate to keep it I REALLY treasure it) and always wear ear plugs when working (I work on industrial construction sites) and anytime I go to listen to music (which is rarely).  Sometimes even when at the pub, I find it cuts down on the background noise and I can hear the person I'm talking to much easier.

And to Catflower,

I'm very happy to hear that it lightened the load.  While this forum has fabulous information, be careful to not let it scare you.  Like I had mentioned...everyone is different.  You're on the AN path whether you like it or not (probably not) and it's good to make your decisions based on you.  Be confident and positive which is easier said than done most certainly.  None of us can or could predict the outcomes, we just work from where we are and know that everyone on this site supports each other. 

My surgeon had even recommended not getting in contact with others prior to surgery for two reasons...
1. It could scare me.
2. I'm so competitive (he knows me quite well) that if someone was up and walking sooner or not vomiting I'd stress that I wasn't doing well.  And for me he was right. 

Recovery happens in different ways and at different speeds...to each their own path.

I wish you both the very best on yours and if I can help in any way please don't hesitate to contact me direct.
Rory

cookiesecond

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 03:11:03 am »
Rory,
Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing your wonderful news!!! It always helps to share good news no matter where we are along our journey.
Have a blessed week.
Lynn

Denise

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 06:16:25 am »
GREAT NEWS!!!! Good for you!!!!   Its always nice to hear of the success stories!
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines