Author Topic: Guaranteed damage to the facial nerve?  (Read 8072 times)

Lilan

Re: Guaranteed damage to the facial nerve?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 06:28:20 am »
Steve, thanks for your kind note. The heman patients can't run and can't hide from hearing my story!  ;D ;D ;D
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 06:46:26 am »
Two opinions is probably not enough for a heman. Too many doctors, even those very experienced with ANs, simply have never seen one. So don't be shy about continuing to hunt, or push the ones you have to explain everything.

As Lilan correctly states, even doctors who are very experienced with ANs, are unfamiliar with hemangiomas.

Make sure you do your research, and consult with other doctors if you have to; you want the best possible outcome.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lholl36233

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 05:05:55 pm »
Thank you Lilan and Jan.

I'm sure Jan remembers me from back in June 2008 when I first started to post.  8/24/09 is the first time anyone ever said the word hemangioma to me.  I really feel like there is no better place for me to be on the East Coast than MGH/MEEI.

Has anyone had their facial nerve cut, replaced with a graft and had their face return to normal?  You can probably understand the doctor's hesitation when my only current issues are hearing loss and tinnitus.

Nothing will happen until I see Dr. Loeffler at MGH on 10/7 about the Proton Beam Therapy.  I doubt Dr. McKenna would have referred me unless he thought there was a good chance I'd be a candidate.

Wouldn't it be exciting if, 6 months from now, I became the first hemangioma patient whose tumor shrunk with proton beam therapy?  You never know...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Lilan

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 06:47:28 pm »
Absolutely, that would be great! Someone has to be first, and it might as well be a forum poster who will apprise others of her story!  ;D

I look forward to hearing your updates -- I am both interested in your case and hoping for the best outcome for you -- and very curious in the academic sense!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

lholl36233

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 06:58:31 pm »
Thank you Lilan.  I feel like we are kindred hemangioma spirits.  Mark your calendar to look for an update from me late afternoon/early evening on 10/7...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!