Author Topic: Abdominal Cramping after PV shunt installed  (Read 3616 times)

JDJ925

Abdominal Cramping after PV shunt installed
« on: July 02, 2006, 07:32:15 am »
I wanted to find out if anyone has experienced the same problem as I have following the insertion of a peritoneal-venous (PV) shunt.

I had translab surgery to remove the AN on 3/9/2006. After that surgery, the CSF pressure continued to rise, so I had a PV shunt installed on 4/29/2006. The shunt worked like a charm; since the procedure, I have had NO headaches, my double vision went away, my balance improved, and I was able to start sleeping through the whole night. In short, I know it was absolutely the right decision to have the procedure done.

There has been one negative side effect: severe abdominal cramping. Sometimes it's up under the lower rib cage, sometimes around the belly button, sometimes in the groin. My surgeon said that cramping is normal because body is reacting to having a foreign object implanted in it. He said I should take Ibuprofen, and that it would eventually go away.

I took the ibuprofen (6 pills a day), and it had no effect. It's now been a little over two months since the shunt was installed, and instead of going away, the cramping is getting worse. At first, I would have about one episode every two days. About four days ago, it started up and hasn’t stopped since. It's particularly bad when I try to lie flat on my back.

When kids run for too long, they’ll get a cramp that we used to call getting a stitch in your side. That’s exactly what this cramping feels like. Has anyone experienced something similar?
JD
Translab surgery on 3/9/2006 removed 3.2cm AN right ear
Dr. Harry Van Loveren / Dr. Paul Boyev / Dr. John Susac
Tampa General Hospital

Vincent87

Re: Abdominal Cramping after PV shunt installed
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 02:47:45 pm »
Hey JD:  Mom had gamma knife for her AN last May...2 rounds of rehab, on her third nursing home (the vertigo has made her disabled), and VP shunt surgery.  At one point during her followup with the neurosurgeon the growing bulge in her belly he waved off as a hernia.  Schmuck.  It was a pseudocyst...the catheter wasn't placed in her belly deep enough and she underwent another surgery.  The cyst was the size of a large navel orange.  And not one medical professional noticed until I pointed it out to them.  (If I sound bitter and angry and frustrated I am!)  You need to push your MD for you to get a series of simple shunt x-rays...they take one of your head, then tilt down a couple of feet and then another.  It's how they know if it's working.  Mom also had an abdominal CT scan I believe.  I hope this helps more than it frightens.  Hope you get some relief really, really soon.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: Abdominal Cramping after PV shunt installed
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 11:15:09 am »
Hi Jeff!

Crazycat Paul here. I sent a personal message in regard to this a few weeks ago. How have you been doing?

I'm off to the hospital for a check-up. Hope to talk to you soon!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.