Author Topic: Anyone have numb head?  (Read 10251 times)

shygirl

Anyone have numb head?
« on: May 31, 2008, 12:05:06 am »
my head is numb on the whole left side. My hair hurts at the top of my head and when I touch it, it feels like I'm touching someone else's head!!! Has anyone experienced this? I am 9 months post op. Just wondering if it will go away ??? It's not really bothering me pain-wise. It's just annoying when it itches and I can't feel myself scratch :D

shygirl--itching away in TX
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Re: Anyone have numb head?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 01:47:48 am »
Yes, I have had the numb feeling also (now 8 months post OP).  We have been having warm humid weather the last few days and I have noticed that when I go out in the direct sunlight  it feels like the numbness spreads.  Sometimes it feels like I just returned from the dentist and the upper left side of my gums have been numbed all the way to the top of my head.  I very rarely have pain though, sometimes just above the AN ear it feels like a bruised spot and when I touch it it hurts.  I aslo have the feeling that the hotter it gets outside the more problems I have with balance.

Dan in Germany                     
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 07:48:17 am »
Shygirl~
I had this and sometimes still do have strange feelings (12 years).  It doesn't really hurt anymore (it used to when I'd get my hair done), but just feels weird at times...  ???

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

shygirl

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:32:26 am »
Thanks ya'll, at least I'm not the only one---and I'm not crazy either!!!
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:10:52 am »
I haven't had numbness since my incision healed.  The healing took several months to be complete.  I think the nerves in the scalp need to reconnect across the incision area. 

During the healing time my scalp would itch a lot.  I wrote on another thread that I used a soft brush to gently massage my scalp.  I believe the itching is from dead skin sloughing off.  I would not use dandruff shampoos or tar based shampoos unless the surgeon allowed it. 

I had sore areas in the crown of my head for several years pre op and still now post op at times.  I sometimes complain that my hair hurts.  My hair dresser says the pain is from cowlicks that get the nerves and muscles disturbed.  I don't know if I understand how cowlicks work or if they are even trainable!   ;D

Overall, you must conclude that I, too, get the crazies!   :D

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:21:27 am by Boppie »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 02:02:39 pm »
Hi, shygirl:

I experienced the partial 'numb skull' thing for over a year following my surgery.  As you mentioned, it never actually hurt but, as you also stated, it did feel odd, like I was touching somebody else's head.  That was weird.  I've noticed that my skull feels almost normal now, two years post-op.  The usual sensitivity has returned, as I'm sure will happen to you, eventually.  I guess it's all part of the healing process....but it does heal.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

er

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 04:01:43 pm »
hello shygirl

I am 3 years 2 months po. I still have the a funny feeling like you have gone to the dentist and gotten a shout of nova cane. But nothing compared after surgery half my head and face felt that way now it is located in the area of  tumor removal,  “ horseshoe size“.
eve

matti

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 09:15:18 pm »
I'm 10 years post op and my head still has a numb feeling, hasn't changed since surgery. Guess that makes me a numbskull :)

Cheryl
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:53:41 pm by matti »
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 06:33:36 am »
I am thirt four months post op, trans lab, and the right side of my head is still numb!  I can get my eyebrow waxed on that side and not feel it!  I can have my hair pulled on that side, except at the incision site and I don't feel it.  Pretty strange and none of the doctors have figured out why.  I just figure it is another of life's little puzzles!!
Brenda ::)
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 03:33:41 pm »
I had BAHA surgery in March - nine months after my AN surgery.  At that time I thought that my numb head had disappeared, but it hadn't.  When the doc injected the lidocaine into my head I asked him if he'd numbed my head first.  He said "no, why?"  I told him that I hadn't really felt the injections.  Guess my head was still numb  :D

I'm now about 3 months past the BAHA surgery and my head is still numb on my entire left (AN) side.  The numbness doesn't really bother me though.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 07:29:58 pm »
I'm still numb - 15 months post op.  Some spots have a little more sensation than others, but I know all about that itch that you can't feel yourself scratch!  I also have one spot where my hair hurts too.  Only a fellow AN-er would understand these strange things!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

shygirl

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 11:31:54 pm »
Thanks for all the info all. I really appreciate it. I have wondered if and when it would end. Everyone is different, so I'll have to wait and see. Like I said, it doesn't really bother me. I was just curious!!!

shye
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 12:18:49 am »
It takes a long, long time for nerves to heal, and sometimes they don't do that all the way.  I had a hysterectomy over 20 years ago, and I still remember getting shooting pains in that area for months, and then it finally healed as far as it was going to heal, but the area around the surgical scar is numb.  This is just stuff surgeons don't tell ya about, durn their hides, anyway.  Not that that would make any difference in making a decision, I don't think.   I didn't have microsurgery, rather radiation, and I have facial numbness because the facial nerve is affected, and this extends up the side of my head to some degree.  I tried to explain that to someone, and I did the old "Dead Man's Finger" where you hold up your hand and then the other person holds up their hand and you touch each other's hands with the palms and then the other person rubs one of the two fingers that are side by side with his thumb and forefinger.  It feels weird!  Try it.  I hope I explained it clearly enough.
Then you can tell people, THAT's what my head feels like to me. 

It's just one of the annoying things that some people have with these stupid AN's.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 12:58:39 am »
I did the old "Dead Man's Finger" where you hold up your hand and then the other person holds up their hand and you touch each other's hands with the palms and then the other person rubs one of the two fingers that are side by side with his thumb and forefinger.  It feels weird!

I have got to get over to Vancouver more often, you people are into some pretty exciting stuff over there!  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 08:32:53 am »
Have you never done that, Steve?  We have that in Texas...   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!