Author Topic: Milestones!  (Read 4850 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Milestones!
« on: April 05, 2009, 06:30:09 pm »
Hi All!

This is good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have had so many downs with very few ups since surgery, so I just had to share some good stuff with you.

After the 2nd surgery to clean up the incision (debride is the official word, I think), I had the staples and sutures removed last Wednesday.  There is NO SIGN OF INFECTION ANYWHERE!!!!!  I asked the doctor how long it would take to completely heal and get my hair back - 3 months!!!  So, when I go back to work in a few weeks, I'll be wearing scarfs - man if only it wasn't going into the spring and summer, maybe Steve could have knitted me a scarf!!  Oh well.  I'm beginning my search for scarves of all colors to go with my new wardrobe - I've lot 17 pounds since surgery and I'm determined to lose another 15.

Since last Wednesday, I've had energy, I've driven a lot (both day and night), went to a mall, exercised, cleaned, did yard work, and shopped shopped shopped!!!  Each of these milestones were so important to me and long time coming, but they came and I am feeling like myself again. 

The mall experience was unbelievable - I had read where malls were sometimes hard to walk around in, but I didn't plow into anyone and didn't step on the first child.  I have to admit, though, when we left the mall, my husband asked what I thought about the huge line of kids with the Easter Bunny and I said "What bunny?"!  He said the line was right next to where we were walking and the bunny was 7 feet tall waving at everybody.  Wow - guess I'm not good at looking at what's going around me - I'll have to work on that!!!!

My next appt with the neurosurgeon and neurotologist will be in a few weeks and I'll get my return to work date at that time.   In the meantime, I am going to be working on getting stronger every day and mentally preparing for the chaos that awaits me when I get back to the office.

Sorry to go on and on.....  I just had to share this with you - I love good news!!!!!

Have a great week, all!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Kaybo

Re: Milestones!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:33:11 pm »
Kathy~
SO glad to hear all your good news!!  I know you are so happy!  I have not ever had any trouble at malls or stores - except the obvious of not hearing someone speaking into my ear!

Thank you for sharing your GOOD news!!  :-*

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:12:21 pm »
That is really GOOD news!  You have had a long and hard battle to recuperate, and I know how good it feels to be doing normal things.  I'm still pleased as punch to do ordinary stuff like go to the grocery, now that the meninigitis is all gone.  Here's hoping that the days ahead are wonderfully, boringly normal for you and your patient hubby.  :D

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:15:44 pm »
Wow, that is fantastic!  I can only hope.
nANcy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:19:03 pm »
Good for you, Kathy!  Always great to hear good news - thanks for sharing!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:21:40 pm »
We love good news too, Kathy. You certainly deserved some, you have been very patient waiting your turn.

Scarfs, while simple enough to knit, are just too darn long and take stacks of yarn to make. Although summer is coming up, I plan to continue making hats all year, as trying to make them all in November is out of the question. We will talk.  ;)

Enjoy the thrills of your new normal life.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 07:55:27 pm »
Hi Kathy, I wasn't around when you had your first surgery but I just want to say I'm sooo happy for you to be feeling better and hitting those milestones.  Can I ask you how you knew you had a staph infection?  Congrats on feeling well and prayers as you continue healing!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:31:35 pm »
Great news Kathy!  Looks like most of your troubles are finally behind you now!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Keri

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 08:54:05 pm »
Kathy
I'm so glad things are looking up and you're feeling energetic. Malls aren't too bad for me (I just feel kind of tipsy); however, they can be a real headache when shopping with my teenage daughter!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

texsooner

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:15:58 am »
Kathy....very happy to hear that you are on the right path now. I know you had more than your fair share of detours, but you're headed in the right direction now. Hope to hear nothing but good reports coming from you in the future. Good luck.

Patrick

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:18:20 am by texsooner »
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 09:23:29 am »
Kathy ~

Congratulations on your great progress toward regaining normalcy!  Enjoy it!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 09:30:31 am »
Great news, Kathy!  As noted, you've had a long, hard-fought battle to recover from surgery so you definitely deserve some good news for a change.  I can't say that I've been to the mall yet after surgery (not much of a shopper), but I've done many other things a long the way.  You'll get better at seeing the things going on around you soon enough.  You have to get more used to the new normal and then that will come with time.  I'm SO happy for ya!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 12:49:21 pm »
I wonder . . . do we actually forget the old normal in the process of finding our new normal?  That would help a lot to avoid disappointment.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 02:06:44 pm »
Nancy,

I can only guess being only 11 months post op, however I would guess that given enough time that you somewhat forget the "old" and embrace the "new" and it becomes the "new normal" for you..  So, while you may remember the "old normal" it becomes less top of mind over time.  Does that make sense?  I still have things that remind me that I had surgery, or that things are just a little different.. But, I imagine that over time it will become "normal" to me and I won't notice it as much.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 02:31:23 pm »
Nancy,

I hope I never forget the old normal...I am a musician (non-professional!) and regularly play in a community band and small woodwind ensembles.  I will miss the richness of sound, the full goosebump-raising beauty of heart-wrenching or exillerating music.  While I haven't played since my surgery, I have listened a lot to my ipod and it makes me sad each and every time I listen...but that sadness is almost always replaced at some point by an appreciation for what I do have.  I just hope I never forget how it used to sound.  The appreciation will increase over time, I'll bet, and the sadness will lessen.

BUT...I'm kinda liking the nights when my husband starts to snore and I put my good ear on the pillow and tune him out.  I've also warned my boss and co-workers that if I intentionally sit on their right, it might just mean that I don't plan to listen to what they are saying!!!  That should be fun sometimes, too, so the new normal ain't all bad!!!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!