Author Topic: Gamma Knife Side Effects - Need some Advice Please ** UPDATED**  (Read 5318 times)

proudmomof3

UPDATE:  CALLED DR TODAY; NOT SURE IF THEY WERE REALLY HELPFUL OR NOT, BUT PUT ME ON ANOTHER WEEK OF STEROIDS. MUST BE SWELLING IN BRAIN AS I AM DIZZY/AND HAVE BLURRY VISION, AS WELL AS FATIGUE/NAUSEA.  NOT SURE WHAT I EXPECTED AFTER GK BUT THOUGHT I WOULD BE A "NEW WOMAN"..SO MUCH FOR THAT (lol)

I am 5 days post GK. Thought I would feel great. I did on day 1. I am on my 2nd to last day of steroids, but getting sicker every day. EXTREME Nausea and Dizziness. If it was steroids, wouldn't it be better by now, since I am almost done? I have been taking them on a full stomach, but I can hardly function b/c of nausea and dizziness. I am having some blurred/double vision here and there.

Anyone experienced this? I just wonder if it is normal? Do you think this is from the radiation or from the steroids?

Also having continued tinitus and my right ear is almost totally clogged up (that is my bad ear anyway, but worse than normal). I know that tinitus and deafness will not improve right now, but it has gotten worse.

How do I know if there is something wrong and I need to follow up with the doctor? They said there should be minimal side effects and I would be fine in a day or two.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Cheryl
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:33:19 pm by proudmomof3 »
Right AN - 1.5cm
Diagnosed 3/2011
GK  4/2011
Last MRI 5/13 - 1.5cm
SSD Right Side, Constant Tinnitus, Vertigo, Headaches

Phillies

Re: Gamma Knife Side Effects - Need some Advice Please ** UPDATED**
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:04:11 pm »
Sorry to hear of your problems... :( I hope everything works out

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:54:14 pm »
From what I know of radiation, you can experience side effects (like the ones you mention) for as long as 12-18 months post treatment, so I'm not surprised that you are having some now.

I have a feeling that this too shall pass.

Hang in there  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 12:45:17 am »
I had Cyberknife, nausea dizziness, tinnitus, I had all of those things 1 week out.
Symptoms have come and gone for 9 months now.
At first I had symptoms 100% of the time and 80% of the time they were very annoying.
The annoying symptoms came and went, lasting 5 days, then 4, 3 , 1 Day.
Now I have very mild symptoms maybe 10 hours a week and feel completely normal the rest of the time.

Everyday you are a day closer to making a recovery.
The symptoms will pass or at the very least improve massively.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

mattsmum

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:11:58 am »
i had worse balance with nausea and headache for a week or 2 after radiosurgery that settled.
i am afraid to say that i then had worsening balance and a whole host of other symptoms from tumour swelling from about 2 months onwards that have yet to settle  completely (i am 10 months post now). as leapyrtwins said - those of us unlucky enough to get these side effects may continue with them for up to 2 yrs on and off. however most people are not unlucky - i hope your symptoms will be short lived as i read that that is the general rule.
best wishes, and good luck,

vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)