Author Topic: 6 months post op!  (Read 5358 times)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
6 months post op!
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:41:40 pm »
I made it to my 6 months post op anniversary!

Rather than retype, pics and details are on the blog - http://buginthebrain.blogspot.com
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

epc1970

Re: 6 months post op!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 02:46:07 pm »
Congratulations on you 6 month anniversary!I know it feels like a lifetime....I've been following your progress and you are doing so great-just think of all the changes that the next 6 months will bring since you are doing so well now! Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Erin

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 03:40:19 pm »
Congratulations, Nicky!   You've come a long way, Baby!   Yahoooooo!!!!!

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 04:11:27 pm »
Nicky ~

I'll be (uncharacteristically) succinct and simply offer you my congratulations on your 6-month surgery 'anniversary'.  Well done!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:24:37 pm »
Congratulations, Nicky! The first six months are the worst; it gets better from then on. Hope there are no more unwelcome news in your family!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:39:37 pm »
Your progress is amazing Nicky.  I read your blog.  I'd say you had quite a large intruder that pretty head of yours.  Your babies are gorgeous!!  My sons were born with cafe au lait spots, but I was told it was because of my husband and my dark olive complexions.  Interesting, I'll have to discuss this with my Dr.  I'll also have to get my sons to check there bodies to see if they still have them.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

LisaP

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:28:22 pm »
Congrats Nicky,

six months and looking great!

Best wishes,

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

opp2

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:12:06 pm »
Your progress is amazing Nicky.  I read your blog.  I'd say you had quite a large intruder that pretty head of yours.  Your babies are gorgeous!!  My sons were born with cafe au lait spots, but I was told it was because of my husband and my dark olive complexions.  Interesting, I'll have to discuss this with my Dr.  I'll also have to get my sons to check there bodies to see if they still have them.

Anne Marie

My doctors specifically asked me about my kids or I having Cafe o Lait spots...very interested.

Nicky! You are awesome. I'm so happy for you. Looking gorgeous!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

moe

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 08:57:14 am »
Nicky (is that how you spell your name?)

Checked your blog or whatever, and I LOVE what I see! You look AWESOME. I'm so happy for you, what a relief for you.

Keep smiling :) :) :) :) :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kaybee

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 04:46:04 pm »
Oh wow!!  You look fantastic!  Congratulations and best wishes for continued recovery.

Kaybee
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

stevecms

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »
Hi Nicky,we share the same 6mth aniv,reckon the first 6mths are prob the worst.Congrats from the other side of the pond.Keep strong,steve :)
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 06:39:10 pm »
Congratulations Nicky! Reading your blog tonight has helped cheer me up.

Best,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 08:29:26 pm »
My sons are ages 19-23 yrs and I was diagnosed 3 yrs 6 mths ago.  I think the Drs know a bit more now.  I don't know, but I will find out.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 06:41:55 am »
Thanks all!  ;D

For any newly postop people reading this, know that it does get better!!! I honestly didn't believe it when I read other people saying it, especially when I was having cognitive issues and depression, but things are a million times better now than they were the first three months.

I'll keep everyone updated on the NF stuff. It's nerve-wracking but very interesting, too! I had the blood draw yesterday so it should be about 4-5 weeks before I get any results back. In the meantime, today is MRI day - woohoo!  :P
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 02:25:15 am »
Nicky,
You have come a long, long way in 6 months time.  You look great and I'm sure your facial progress will continue.  I have a good friend who is still having facial progress over one year post op and she started out the same as you.  I'm sorry to hear about your headaches and I hope that improves over time.  As a fellow tinnitus sufferer, I know how it can drive you nuts.  Hopefully, we'll get used to it over time or it will just fade into the background.  I'm with you on holding off on more surgery with the Baha for now.

It's wonderful to see you so positive and to hear about all the progress you've made.  Going back to work full time is a huge accomplishment, not to mention still working as a mother to two little boys.  You are so strong and your story is inspiring!

Give yourself a lot of love and credit for all you've overcome already!

Here's to more continued progress and an even better 12 month post op report!
Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.