Author Topic: A good outcome, so far  (Read 5230 times)

eballen

A good outcome, so far
« on: June 08, 2005, 02:40:27 pm »
I just wanted to offer a note to let others know of another good surgery outcome.  I had surgery on Friday June 3.  I had chosen a translab approach, at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta, Ga.  Two wonderful surgeons (Dr. James Robinson and Dr. Elias Michaelides) spent a long 11 hours removing my tumor that was a little bigger than the estimated 2.2 cm tumor on my right side.  I came home on tuedsay.  I've been really lucky and have had only a few balance issues.  Still feeling very weak, but getting around ok.  Facial weakness is present, but is expected to heal.  I've been told it could get worse before it gets better.  But I'm doing better than I expected, 5 days post surgery. I'm going to keep good faith, and hopefully things will keep getting beter.

Lisa

Russ

Re: A good outcome, so far
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 03:09:19 pm »
WOW!
  Congratulations, Lisa!  Just 5 days out from this and you are posting at a PC. Best wishes in a good recovery! Your balance will undoubtedly slowly improve as the other side compensates.
  Yes; Keep the faith!
  Russ

stein78

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 10:24:18 pm »
Great to hear!  I just had my 4 week post-op visit with my doctor this week.  You will continue to improve, no worries!  I had some delayed weakness in my face that started the first week I was home.  By the 4th week, it was 98% gone and I am feeling great.  Best of luck with the rest of your recovery.

-Jason
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

marcy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 08:55:48 pm »
Hi,
Well, 9 days after surgery ( Translab) and think I am doing great.  Some balance issues but I keep on walking.  Also, working on my left eye reflex.  Very little facial loss.  Looking forward to everyday and getting better.

Marcy

russ

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 09:14:07 pm »
Yes Marcy
  Is post surg for medium size ANs becoming easier? Keep up the good work!! Gee; At 9 days translab post op, I was still nearly incapacitated and barely able to walk. My AN was only 1.5 cm.
  Russ

Kim

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 01:41:34 pm »
Keep it up, everyone!  Remember, the more you walk the faster the balance stuff will clear out!  Keep doing those eyeball exercises, too!

(I'm 9 months post-op; also had a great recovery.  I started ballet classes at 3 weeks, and what a huge help!0

kristin

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 06:15:29 pm »
Keep it up, everyone! Remember, the more you walk the faster the balance stuff will clear out! Keep doing those eyeball exercises, too!

(I'm 9 months post-op; also had a great recovery. I started ballet classes at 3 weeks, and what a huge help!0

what eyeball exercises? i am almost 9 weeks post-op and walking is no problem at all, but running makes me feel like i'm totally drunk. i cannot focus on anything and the whole world moves (it's a lot like days 2-3 after hospital discharge) my theory is keep running so i can re-train my brain...any suggestions?
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

russ

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 07:43:43 pm »
Hi Kristin Running! - smile-
  How's your good ear? You may or may not always have some problem with this oscillopsia. Ever think of a less 'bouncy' activity?
  Take care! Seems you are doing well!   -Russ

Kim

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 10:16:33 am »
Kirsten-
You are right about running; keep it up and it will improve. 

Some eye exercises:

Look up, down, slowly at first then faster as you become able to focus more quickly.  Also do side to side.

Do a thumbs up at arm's length.  Turn your head from side to side while focusing on your thumb.  When focusing easily, move your arm side to side in the opposite direction your head is turning side to side; keep focusing.

Walk (carefully) with your eyes closed.  Also walk in the dark; again be careful.

Walk while turning your head from side to side (and looking from side to side).

Turn your head and focus on something to your left; turn and repeat on right.  Do faster as able.

Have fun!