Author Topic: 8 months post op, having a reverse brain? =)  (Read 8341 times)

Pembo

Re: 8 months post op, having a reverse brain? =)
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 07:54:42 am »
http://www.theblackriver.net/wobbler/wobblercognitive.html

This link is to a very LONG article that was very informative and explains the mental stuff. I'd recommend printing it out for reading though. :)  2 years post op and the confused brain thing is still there, but MUCH improved. I've learned to slow down before I talk.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

sunshine16

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 08:44:53 am »
First of all Thank you so much Pembo.  I only got to read the explanations of "Cognitive Disturbunces"  and this particular paragraph is sooo Me.....

Cognitive disturbances involve a difficulty in basic mental operations such as memory, paying attention or focusing attention on something, and in prolonged concentration. They also involve shifting attention from one subject or idea to another . People with cognitive disturbances have trouble in perceiving accurate spatial relationships between objects, in comprehending or expressing language, and performing calculations, and in a number of other areas.

My husband will always, Always, tell me that I shift from one subject to another.  Sometimes it's frustrating to me 'coz I have been doing it a lottttt lately.  What more to my husband or to anyone I talk to?  They need to keep up w/ me all the time when I say something  :(

I will continue reading this site... Thanks for sharing it with all of us. I will definitely do more research about Cognitive Disturbunces...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 01:13:49 pm by sunshine16 »

matti

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 12:17:32 pm »
I agree with you Pembo, when I slow down before I talk, I do much better. Very interesting article, thank you!

Myla - I also shift vey quickly from one subject to another, my poor husband is just getting his thoughts out on the first and I'm already on 2 new topics LOL then I don't remember what the first topic was. I think I blurt them out so quickly when they come to mind beacause I am afraid I won't remember them again.

Hugs,
cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 12:35:18 pm »
never crossed my mind until Myla's post here and what you all have noted. I note the short term memory but have had lack of focus (right now, CB is telling me to get offline and do my reports and laundry and such and just not holding it all together....).  Now, I'm glad to know it's not just me and for real. Will research cognitive therapies locally to see what I can find out.

Myla.... <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<huggles>>>>>>>>>>>>>

oxxoxo

I agree with you Pembo, when I slow down before I talk, I do much better. Very interesting article, thank you!

Myla - I also shift vey quickly from one subject to another, my poor husband is just getting his thoughts out on the first and I'm already on 2 new topics LOL then I don't remember what the first topic was. I think I blurt them out so quickly when they come to mind beacause I am afraid I won't remember them again.

Hugs,
cheryl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sunshine16

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 01:10:22 pm »
exactly Matti.  I have so much things in my head that I'm also afraid I might forget (w/c I do usually-short term memory???)

And Phyl......  huggggggggggggggggs to you too.......  hope life is treating you well today. 

I always have a hard time settling down, I'm too hyper sometimes.  But never to the point that I confused my company when I talk....switching subject/idea to the other..... 

sunshine16

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 11:50:57 pm »
I'm due for an MRI on October.  My last MRI was very uncomfortable to me, almost gave up.  I'm just wondering,  Has anyone had been sedated prior test? How did it go?  Does sedation makes you sick? 

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 01:34:39 am »
Sunshine: I am claustrophobic so I am always sedated for the MRI ordeal and it makes things a whole lot better. I take Ativan and sleep through the thing.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

sunshine16

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 06:42:59 pm »
does it makes you drowsy afterwards?  thanks Kathleen.