Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled  (Read 3875 times)

ReneeK

Surgery Scheduled
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:54:43 am »
My surgery has been scheduled for 11/30/10. Dr. Friedman had submitted autorization for the middle fossia, but said I could change my mind even the day of. I am leaning more towards the translab because it seems there is less of a risk of facial paralysis. My tumor is small 1.1 X 0.7 and my hearing is really bad in the AN ear. Any suggestions or first hand experience would be helpful. I was dissappointed that I can't have the BAJA done at the same time. I guess they had not submitted authorization for that :( Does anyone know how soon after the AN suegery you can go in for the BAJA?

Thanks in advance ~

Renee

ksiwek

Re: Surgery Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:58:05 pm »
Renee,

I just posted to you on another thread.  Dr Friedman just did my AN surgery in June.  If you want to talk about anything related to House, BAHA, etc send me a message and I can give you my number.

I had a wonderful experience with Dr Friedman and House.  You are in excellent hands.  He is both a wonderful surgeon and person.

My BAHA was implanted last week at 18 wks post op.  I know when Dr Friedman and I spoke a month ago he told me that I was healed enough to have the implant at that time.  I opted to have the BAHA implant done in Chicago closer to home vs travelling back to LA from the midwest. 

Best,
Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 02:03:27 pm »
Congrats on setting your surgery date, Renee!  I was also a Friedman patient - LA is wonderful in November!  Even though my hearing was virtually perfect at the time of surgery, he felt there was really only a small chance of saving it due to the tumor location.  I chose Translab...I just had this feeling it was interfering w/ my facial nerve and wanted him to have the best look at the nerve possible.  Turns out that was the right decision - he stated later that he was very glad we chose Translab.  I did have some facial weakness for about 8 weeks post op, but 98% ok now.  Do let us know if you have any questions about the logistics of cross country surgery - we'll help in any way we can.

Best of luck to you,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ReneeK

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 02:07:00 pm »
Cindy-

Thankfully I live about 60 miles from the House clinic :) Long distance travel will not be an issue, thank you so much for your kind words  ;D

Renee

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 06:20:19 pm »
Ohhhh, then you won't be flying  ;) And, I suppose you are pretty familiar w/ that awesome weather out there!

Well, anything else we can help you with, just let us know :)

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 12:04:09 pm »
Congrats on setting your date!  You will be in the most capable hands!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

opp2

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:16:17 pm »
My surgery has been scheduled for 11/30/10. Dr. Friedman had submitted autorization for the middle fossia, but said I could change my mind even the day of. I am leaning more towards the translab because it seems there is less of a risk of facial paralysis. My tumor is small 1.1 X 0.7 and my hearing is really bad in the AN ear. Any suggestions or first hand experience would be helpful. I was dissappointed that I can't have the BAJA done at the same time. I guess they had not submitted authorization for that :( Does anyone know how soon after the AN suegery you can go in for the BAJA?

Thanks in advance ~

Renee

I can't really advise you one way or another Renee, but I did want to say all the best in your research and your choices. We'll be routing for you.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:05:33 pm »
Renee -

BAHA implants can be done as soon as your head has healed from AN surgery.  That said, "healed" is a subjective term that depends on your doctor's definition.

I tried the BAHA demo 4 months after my AN surgery and could have had the implant then.  However, my insurance company took 5 months to approve the surgery and the cost of the processor, so it was 9 months before I had my implant. 

Just a note - we are talking BAHAs not BAJAs.  BAHA = bone anchored hearing aid   ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways