Author Topic: What is the recovery period - how long out of work?  (Read 8526 times)

mmer302

What is the recovery period - how long out of work?
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:51:34 am »
I have read some of the experiences of others that have had surgery and the recovery seems to be vague. I know it depends on the each individual, etc, but my doctor who has done over 1400 of these is telling me that 2-3 weeks is expected. I have a sales job and can work from my home office before I have to actuall travel. I wanted to get some idea of how long it would  be before I could sit at my desk at home and do email and phone work?

Mark241

Re: What is the recovery period - how long out of work?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:21:10 am »
I was talking well enough to have a conversation a week post-op, could have done it sooner I suppose but I really didn't feel like talking that much. Driving at about 3 1/2 weeks out, and returned to full duty at 5 weeks (Police Officer). I kinda pushed the time frame, but I was going nuts' sittin at home. Hope it helps
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

OTO

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:31:18 pm »
Kind of depends on your job...  I stayed home 8 weeks.  But my job requires alot of computer work, writing, and meetings.    The first couple of days I was exhausted.    Depends to on the outcome of the surgery and how you recover.   I had only a little bit of facial weakness, and no major issues (e.g., dizziness, CSF leak, etc.)....   

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »
I work from home so it was a week in hospital for me and two weeks recovery before I was back sitting behind my computer.  I took another week off for my second surgery, but I don't have a physical job so it made things a lot easier.  I guess it depends on you and how you feel after the surgery, but in my opinion the quicker you get yourself up and going the better you heal.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:08:00 pm »
We thought I would be back to work in four weeks. That's what I had planned on. Turned out to be three months. The qualities of the tumor (particularly its blood supply) and its location, made things more difficult than was anticipated. Some things the docs don't know until they get in there working.

However, I am a bad example, a near-worst case example.  I only provide it for bracketing purposes.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 04:23:52 pm »
There isn't a set time or answer to this.  Some folks are back to work in record time, others, like me, never get to return to work. There are so many variables in this AN thing, no one can give an exact answer.  Your body and your response to treatment will dictate the answer to your question.  Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 04:31:34 pm »
mmer302 ~

All of the previous poster's answers are correct because the ability to return to work following AN surgery is rife with variables that make setting a firm date nearly impossible.  However, the 'ballpark' date many physicians use is '6 weeks' -  with the caveat that your return to work may vary - a little or a lot.  I wish we could offer a more concrete answer but this is the reality.  

Jim
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:58:00 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 05:03:09 pm »
I was able to work on the computer for 20-30 mins at a time one week post-op.  Short phone calls were no problem, I even made quite a few while still in the hospital.  But keep in mind I wasn't "working the phones" like you do in a sales position, I was returning the calls of friends and family who were willing to keep their conversations brief.  I was able to handle a half day at the office three weeks after surgery and was back full-time inside of six weeks.  My biggest challenge was fatigue, even a few months post-op.  There were times when by mid-afternoon I would have to get up and walk around to avoid falling asleep at my desk.  It would come on quickly and no amount of caffeine helped!

Everyone responds and recuperates differently so don't get discouraged if you take longer to get back to normal.  Be honest with yourself and don't push things too hard.  The body sends clear signals, you just need to listen and respond accordingly.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

kathleen anna

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 05:05:41 pm »
I had a translab in September and my surgeon recommended 12 weeks recouperation. I am a supervisor in a medical equipment company so I wear many hats and do have alot of stress.  He also recommended I start part time for a few weeks.  I am now into my second week of working 8:30-1:30ish.  I am very tired when I get home and have to take that nap. The hardest for me is the heavy head feeling.  I really thought that it wouldn't be as bad as it is.....I am increasing my hours every other day to work up to the full day which starts after the new year.  This feeling in my head is driving me crazy!  I would definately recommend that when you do go back, start part time if possible, just to ease your way back. I think it would have been very hard for me if I started 8 hours right away. (I'm getting nervous about it already and I still have a week and a half to go!!)  Good luck!

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 08:41:44 am »
Another "worst case scenario", I was out from work until about 5 months post op. But, I have a pretty physical and mental job (as a nurse). I think I'm pretty far from "the norm", but it takes as long as it takes, and that's the time I needed.
I think 6-12 is probably more average.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 08:45:29 am »
Most docs will tell you that it generally takes 6 weeks for recovery, but as you said yourself, it depends on the individual.

It also depends on the side-effects you encounter and what kind of job you do.

I work a desk job (I'm an accountant) and I returned to work part-time 2 1/2 weeks post op.  My biggest issue was fatigue - I'd work in the morning and go home and sleep in the afternoon.  At 4 weeks I started working full time again. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

opp2

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 10:05:06 pm »
I took 3 months off because I wanted to. I likely could have returned to work at 4 weeks but I have to say I would have been really really tired. I am a cop to. I'm surprised that Mark241 went back at 5 weeks, however like you said you've read, we are all different. I believe a lot has to do with physical fitness prior to the surgery, the type of work you will be doing, and the effect of your tumour on your brain prior to your surgery. Now with working at home you may be better equipped to return to work than many of us. All the best.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 12:23:29 am »
I took off two months, I probably should have done another month. My job requires me being on my feet, and is a 12 hour day, so that first month of being back was tough.  But as mentioned above, every person and situation is unique...
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

kraynok2

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 10:46:58 pm »
Tomorrow, Jan. 4 will be 7 weeks since my surgery.  I am feeling quite well, however, have found that when I think I can do so much more, I get tired.  I teach kindergarten and will go back to work Jan. 18, mornings only for that week.  Since that Monday is Martin Luther King day, that will give me a short 4 day week to start back.  I will see how that week goes before making a definite decision about mornings only the next week.  I know I will not be able to stay at school every night until 5 or 6 and then bring work home until 11pm.  I will have to make some adjustments and many plans in advance.  I love staying up late and sleeping in, so I will hate having to go back to getting up early!  lol
Sandy

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:35 pm »
I was out for 2 months & didn't feel I was ready when it was time to return to work. But, I did return to work part-time for a week then full-time after that. I had to take breaks because my head felt heavy & my neck got tired, tingly and soar half way thru the day then again towards the end of my shift. It's been a long recovery, but just the other day I noticed that I hadn't felt the tingling in my neck/lower head for months now. I do think that getting back to my routine at work helped my recovery along.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.