Author Topic: HIPAA violation?????  (Read 7817 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
HIPAA violation?????
« on: September 17, 2010, 06:45:39 pm »
So, I got my mail today and there was an envelope from some company promoting a special new digital hearing aid for hearing impaired people.  I flew off the handle because I wanted to know how on earth they would have my name and address.  I doubt UCSD sells patient information.  I also highly doubt that Cochlear sells patient lists.  But somewhere, somehow, they knew my name and address and knew I had a hearing issue.  They said I qualified for a big discount on this new device.  I picked up the phone and called them.  The poor lady on the other end got an earful from me.  She said I totally understand how you feel, she had no idea how they get our mailing lists and she referred me to the corporate number in Chicago.  It was almost 5 pm PST so I knew they were closed.  I called anyway, but I was right, they were closed.  Has this happened to anyone else?  It really makes me angry. 
~Dale
 ???
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: HIPAA violation?????
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:02:15 pm »
Dale, wish I had an answer. I have a professional-state-issued license and get things in the mail all the time as some company will buy a mailing list based on my professional license. It's done all the time, irks me to no end and I just toss it away.  Not sure in this case if its a HIPPA violation and for me, just my 2 cents, would be careful to whom you disclose medical info. I know hospital and dr's offices will have many sign something acknowledging reading the HIPPA agreement, but for 3rd party vendors (ie: if you go to a hearing device reseller, etc), not sure if any or all do the same.

Please be careful to whom you disclose personal (incl. medical) info.

I'm sorry to hear you ran into this.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:00:10 pm »
I get these all the time--I think the link may be AARP.  I get offers for all kinds of medical crap from blood testing clinics and lots of hearing devices.  I think that you got on some kind of mailing list or other and they are sending these because you might be over 45 or 50.  My husband gets them , too and he's never been to a hearing doc in his life.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:09:01 pm »
Well, I'm 62, but it could be AARP.  Never thought of that.  I also have a professional license and get a lot of things pertaining to that as well.  I NEVER give any medical information to anyone, and even give doctor's offices a hard time about needing to have my social security number!  It's just eerie.  It seems less strange (and does not make me as angry) when I get things related to my nursing license.  Somehow, that doesn't seem quite as personal!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:34:48 pm »
IMO it's definitely AARP or some other company that is smart enough to access public records, find out your age, and try to market products and services to you.

For years I used to get tons of stuff like this in the mail - in addition to information from nursing homes, retirement communities, and cemetaries - and I could never figure out why.  Then I got a copy of my credit report.

My credit report showed that someone had mixed up my mother's birthdate with mine - since we have very similar names; she's Jane, I'm Janet.  She's also a lot older than I am (I'll be 49 soon; she's almost 74).  Once I straightened out my credit report so it reflects my real birthdate I no longer get information like this.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 08:07:34 am »
I belonged to AARP and did get more mail stuff but quit as never felt was getting much benefit from belonging.  Still occ get some mail but much less.         I get mail due to my nursing license.         What has really got me is that the month I retired from working is the time I started getting a nursing magazine which I did not ask for or have to pay for.  Still am over 2 yrs later.   I have no idea why as some other nurses do not.           I did get some mail from a local hearing aid center which I am blaming on a co worker giving them my address as thinking that they thought I needed one!             I could tell for some time when got mail due to mailing list from a magazine as there was a misspell in my name that was on the magazine too.   
                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

nanramone

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 10:08:40 am »
Dale -

Maybe a "spy" from that company logged on to this website and read everything you have posted here. They can see your name and where you live, and find your address that way. Same is true for all of us! We all post loads of info here, and anyone has access to it.

Nancy

lori67

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 04:17:19 pm »
Could it be that they just did a mass mailing to a certain geographical area?  I get stuff all the time for a company that sells diabetic supplies and no one in my household is diabetic.

I guess they figure if you send out a thousand mailings, chances are you'll get at least a few that are in need of the service they're offering.

I don't think I'd be too worried about it.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:46:08 pm »
Good points from all of you.  Thanks.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:39:05 pm »
Dale, actually, Nan may not be far off... look at your sig line... you may want to revise some of its info *hint-hint* Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 06:14:15 pm »
Dale, actually, Nan may not be far off... look at your sig line... you may want to revise some of its info *hint-hint* Phyl

:-\

... yup Phyl is right...you may want to take the personal info off of there... Quick google of the signature and full website of "legal nurse consultant" comes up in a second.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

OTO

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 07:49:53 pm »
I recently (last year or so), started getting coupons, mailings, etc., from Sears for their hearing aid concessionaire.   I'm now 3 years post-op.   I wondered how they knew?    I also started getting AARP membership applications about a year ago...  The first thing I thought.... gee whiz do they think I'm that old?  Ha Ha....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 07:54:08 am »
Personally I don't think "outsiders" are "copping" information from this Forum, but I may be naive.

There are so many places for people to get info about you these days.  In this day and age of computers, public records are everywhere.  A lot of the information is free; the remainder of it can be purchased.

Just owning a credit card puts you on an entire list of third party mailings.  And as far as age goes, it's part of your credit history.

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 12:27:17 pm »
Personally I don't think "outsiders" are "copping" information from this Forum, but I may be naive.
There are so many places for people to get info about you these days.  In this day and age of computers, public records are everywhere.  A lot of the information is free; the remainder of it can be purchased.  Just owning a credit card puts you on an entire list of third party mailings.  And as far as age goes, it's part of your credit history.

You're being astute, again, Jan.  ;)

As a guy who grew up in the technological Dark Ages - without computers, cell phones, etc, I've adapted fairly well to most of the new technology.  However, since 1997 when I bought my first computer and went on the internet I realized that, as the years went by and technology developed, 'personal' information was no longer going to be 'private' for long - and it wasn't.  I just assume a lot of information about me is available to those willing to seek it out and there isn't a lot I can do about that.  Of course I take precautions, as we all do, but at some point, you just have to accept the inevitable.  That is why, along with time constraints, I don't sign up for 'social networking' sites, i.e. Facebook and I avoid signing up for newsletters and such.  To be candid, I'm not seeking a job or a date so I don't need to use those kinds of sites, anyway.  Like others, I have various e-mail 'boxes' for different purposes, none of them nefarious, I assure you.  Of course, I never send out e-mail that I would be embarrassed by if it were to become public and I avoid giving my 'personal' information whenever possible.  If I'm signing up to get a coupon (as my wife does) you don't need my birth date, my home phone number and my spouses name and occupation.  If you want all that for some minor 'benefit', I'll pass.  

So, as you correctly noted, Jan, there is little privacy any more - but we do what we can.  Frankly, I'm not overly concerned about it, although, as our Brenda ('Brendalu') learned, identity theft can be a real hassle to repair.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 03:26:31 pm »
Wow!  I've been astute twice in one week!!!  ;D

Man, Lori is going to be soooooo jealous  :D