Author Topic: AN Book ...  (Read 21615 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: AN Book ...
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »
Revisions  ???

I thought your story was great the way it was, Lori.

Who suggested revisions?

Jan

You don't have to name names if you don't want to.  You can just PM me.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2008, 08:05:18 am »
Lori~
at least you have revisions...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2008, 11:07:50 am »
I am still revising mine, too.  I had a friend, who's also a published author, read it and he made some suggestions which I am incorporating. Also figured I'd wait until my first follow up MRI in a couple of weeks to add what will hopefully be more good news to my story...

Deb
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2008, 12:52:45 pm »
Lori~
at least you have revisions...

K

Excellent point, Kaybo.

I have yet to put pencil to paper - or should that be fingers to keyboard  ???

Anyway, I'm confident we'll both "get our show on the road" soon.

Life is short,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2008, 02:49:17 pm »
Well, the usual grammatical and spelling errors that I didn't notice the first time.  Guess I should have run the old spell check, huh?  Amazing how I can pick up on errors other people make but I miss my own!  Oops.  Oh well.  I never claimed to be a good typist.  Or an English teacher!

It was also suggested I add a little more on the BAHA, but I was leaving that to you, Jan, and plan to put a little more in there about the facial issues.

One of these days.... 
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2008, 09:53:22 pm »
It was also suggested I add a little more on the BAHA, but I was leaving that to you, Jan,

Oh!  Guess I'd better start writing soon, huh?  :-[

Jan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2008, 04:05:42 pm »
Fellow authors: 

I just sent Scott my chapter, all 4,757 words.  Glad to have it finished.  I've been absent from the forums while writing - the only way I could get it done.  I left out a few minor details to keep it from being too long but I believe I managed to capture the essence of my experience.  If editing is necessary, I'll do it, of course, but time is a problem for me and it could take awhile to re-write.

I trust it will be acceptable.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2008, 04:45:32 pm »
Jim, will there be a glossary at the end of your portion so we can look up the words we don't understand?   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2008, 05:34:38 pm »
Jim, will there be a glossary at the end of your portion so we can look up the words we don't understand?   ;)

Lori

Lori:

That would take away all of the fun!  ;D
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2008, 07:45:42 pm »
Ah, great... guess I better dust off my Oxford English Dictionary!   ;)

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2008, 04:40:04 am »

Will you "translate" for the rest of us?

Jan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2008, 06:01:29 am »
Cheeky Bloke remains in the wings for assistance with the Oxford Dictionary..... according to the bloke, it's "proper" English! :)

Will you "translate" for the rest of us?

Jan
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2008, 10:53:06 am »
I'll add my title  IT'S NOT EAR WAX!!!

When I ask people to speak up or repeat what they said, I often get this reply, "Are you sure it isn't just ear wax and not really a tumor?".  My husband used to ask the same question even though he saw the AN on the MRI.  When he saw that it had grown this past year, he said he wouldn't throw out the ear wax theory any more.  One guy even asked me if I could just get the tumor out using a Q-tip.  Everyone meant well.  People have been very supportive now that they know I am having GK.  They ask me what they can do to help after I have GK.  I anticipate walking out with no problems, but maybe I should just milk the situation and ask for meals for a month!  My husband's cooking stinks, and I'm not much better!

A book would be great, and I would definitely want a signed copy. 

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

lori67

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2008, 12:00:43 pm »
Phyl,

Does this mean we'll have to read the dictionary with our pinkies up in the air in order to be proper?   :D

Lori - still speaking "proper" New Jersey-ish

Jim Scott

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2008, 12:52:44 pm »
I'll add my title  IT'S NOT EAR WAX!!!

When I ask people to speak up or repeat what they said, I often get this reply, "Are you sure it isn't just ear wax and not really a tumor?".  My husband used to ask the same question even though he saw the AN on the MRI.  When he saw that it had grown this past year, he said he wouldn't throw out the ear wax theory any more.  One guy even asked me if I could just get the tumor out using a Q-tip.  Everyone meant well.  People have been very supportive now that they know I am having GK.  They ask me what they can do to help after I have GK.  I anticipate walking out with no problems, but maybe I should just milk the situation and ask for meals for a month!  My husband's cooking stinks, and I'm not much better!

A book would be great, and I would definitely want a signed copy. 

Nancy

Nancy:

A signed copy is yours, should a book ever materialize.  Right now, we're in the planning and early implementation stages; writing and submitting chapters as drafts.  Scott is valiantly acting as editor/organizer with input from the various authors.  An actual book would be great but that may be a long way off.  I would like to see at least some of the chapters 'serialized' in the ANA newsletter ('Notes') which would offer the readership our stories in a convenient form.  We'll see. 

I was flabbergasted - and its not easy to gas my flabber - when I read about your husband and others asking if you had 'ear wax' instead of a tumor.  I'll give your husband a pass here (I know he'll be relieved) but really, for anyone to make such an assumption is simply absurd.  I can't imagine asking if the tumor could be removed with a Q-tip.  One has to wonder where these folks get their ideas.  I guess the 'Q-tip guy' would think you could fix a broken ankle by wearing tighter socks.  Yeesh! 

While 'milking' your GK isn't advisable and might actually put you in a mindset that could unnecessarily prolong your recovery, which is normally pretty rapid as I understand it, (my 26 FSR treatments didn't require a recovery period) a few days of help, including meals, might not be such a bad idea.  :)

Jim