Author Topic: Wendy's Surgery Update  (Read 22650 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Wendy's Surgery Update
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2008, 05:52:49 pm »
Wendy -

first of all, glad it wasn't a CSF leak  :)  second of all, sorry you're in pain - hope the PT helps  ;D  third, I'm quite surprised your doctor(s) didn't recommend someone for the PT  :o  Or did he/they and I just missed that part  ???

I'm enjoying playing with the little smiley guys today, can you tell  :D

My doctor gave me some vestibular exercises to do pre op and I continued to do them post op - they helped a lot.  Post op he offered to send me to a PT for vestibular therapy, but I told him I'd wing it and continue to do the exercises on my own.

Lori -

as usual, you're a scream  ;D  Physical Terrorist and Pain & Torture LOL

BTW, anyone "wiped" off the dog today?   

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2008, 09:56:27 am »
Wendy - good news!  I think the antibiotics are a good idea - just in case.  Better not make any pancakes any time soon.  Sounds dangerous.   :D

Jan, as a matter of fact, I don't believe the dogs have been Lysol-ed yet.  Darn kids are slipping!  They did get Furminated yesterday (the dogs, not the kids) - I guess that counts for something. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2008, 02:45:57 pm »
Wendy:

Thanks for the update.  Glad the incision leak wasn't CSF.  I agree with Lori, the antibiotics are a prudent move.  As another person who doesn't like taking pills, I can sympathize with your hope to avoid needing any meds for the foreseeable future.

Do-it-yourself physical exercises can be beneficial if you have some guidance and don't encounter any real obstacles, like pain.  I did my own PT post-op, based on a therapist's written instructions and a pictorial guide and it worked fine, for me.  I can't recommend it for everyone but simply offer my experience for what it may be worth to you (or anyone else reading this). 

I trust your recovery will proceed rapidly from this point sans any more scares. :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2008, 06:55:43 am »
Thanks Jan, Lori and Jim. 

Jan I know you got smiley happy but I enjoyed them.  They don't seem to work on my computer probably due to pop-up blockers or something like thiat.  I'm just barely computer literate so I don't know why.  I was really glad I didn't have a CSF leak although my first thoughts were of Debbi and her PICC line.  Glad I missed that too.

Lori -- I have to agree that it would seem making pancakes can be hazardous to my health.  Thank goodness I don't make them too often!

My incision is  still leaking, or really dripping a little and I e-mailed Dr. Choe again.  He assured me that as long as the fliud continues to look the same and I have no other symptoms, fever, redness, etc everything should be okay.  I am seeing him again next Friday and will try not to worry too much about this in the meantime.  For now, I found a bandaid that will stick to my head, regrowing hair and neck so nothing is dripping down my neck anymore.  That feels much better. 

Wendy -- hoping to stop dripping soon

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2008, 07:00:37 am »
Wendy -

what a bummer about the smiley faces  :'(  Not to rub it in - like Lori would do - but I love them!  :D

Sorry you are still dripping, but I'm glad you found a bandaid that works - it must have been annoying before that.

How's the rest of your recovery going?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2008, 07:08:48 am »
Wendy!
I will be considerate and post some smilies for you - I'll try to include them all so you'll have ALL emotions covered!!!   ;D

:)   ;)

:'(   :D   :-*   :-*   :-*   :D   ;D   :-*   :-\   :-X   ;D   >:(   :(   :o 

:o   :o   8)   :-X   :P   ;D   :P   ::)   ???   ::)   ;D 

Hope that helps!!

K   :-*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2008, 07:45:09 am »
Jan -

I would never rub in the fact that I'm apparently more computer literate than someone on this planet (Wendy, that is!  ;)).

Or should I be sticking my tongue out -  :P

Lori :)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tamara

« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2008, 08:04:31 am »
Wendy,
  You're still dripping??  Is it bloody or clear?  If it's not CSF, what does your dr think it is?

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2008, 11:35:32 am »
Wendy-

Ugh!  Well, as one who had a leaky head myself, here's a tip on keping the goo contained -- get the square gauze pads (at the drug store) and cut one in half.  You can then use the paper tape to tape it to your neck at the bottom and to your ear on the sidie, thereby avoiding getting your hair involved.  I had to do that for about six weeks, so got very good at it.  It kept the goo from getting on my pillows and sheets.

I guess I should also offically welcome you to the Icky-head club.  Lucky you... :-\

hugs,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2008, 10:18:50 am »
Hi all,
yesterday afternoon I thought I had graduated from the Icky Head Club because my incision stayed dry for a few hours but alas, it was not meant to be.  I started leaking again last night and am still leaking this morning although not much. 

Tammy - thanks for the suggestion about the chiropractor.  My doctor said it would be okay as long as the chiropractor did not manipulate my neck.  I'm planning to call my PCP tomorrow for a referral.  It just so happens there is a chiropractor practically within walking distance who accepts my insurance and hopefully this will help a lot.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2008, 12:34:41 pm »
Hi Wendy,
Sending drought-like wishes your way. 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2008, 08:42:02 am »
Hi Marci,

Thanks for your drought-like thoughts.  My incision is just dripping once in a while now so hopefully this is just about over.  Hopefully today or tomorrow will be the end of my tenure in the icky head club!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!