Author Topic: The Race to Recovery  (Read 14441 times)

LADavid

Re: The Race to Recovery
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 01:52:47 pm »
Thanks all for the kind words.  But my daughter would kill me if she saw that picture -- her very white teeth aren't so white.  Opps.

Anyway, Daisy and Lori -- that's what my back east family said about my smile.  The problem with my face is that half that smile -- on the right side -- is there permanently.  That's from the synkinesis.  It won't go away.  So when I should have a normal expression, I have half a grin.  I think security guards think I'm up to something and women think I'm hitting on them and who knows what men think.  That's why I'm seeing the PT -- to get my nerves and muscles to relax.  I have my next appointment on Thursday -- I've already noticed some improvement after the first session.

And Michelle -- yes you would have had to get up very early to make it to the run from Redlands.  My daughter picked me up in Hancock Park at 6:45, we made it to USC by 7:15 and parked in the paid parking near the Coliseum.  By 8:00 that was full and they were redirecting cars to the free parking on the other side of campus  I'm quite sure those people never made it to the race start.  But it is a fun event -- especially running through a tunnel under the Coliseum and bursting out onto the field from the end-zone.  We didn't stick around for the Go-Gos, but they always have some name act in the stadium as the walkers make their way in.  I've been running that one since 1997 -- and it gets bigger every year -- I'm guessing about 30,000 + runners/walkers this year.  You should try it out next year.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 02:34:56 pm »
David;

Thanks for the photo of you and Britannia.  You both look quite happy, as you have good reason to be. 

Your daughter's teeth look fine but as you know (based on your profession) lighting can make a huge difference in how things appear. Under the 'wrong' lighting, even Donny Osmond's teeth could look less than blindingly white.  :) 

Not having seen you (or a photo) pre-surgery, I would say that your facial expression appears perfectly normal.  However, I read your explanation of how your smile is semi-permanent, which is certainly problematic so I wish you total success in your treatment. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 04:25:40 pm »
Awesome Picture...Thanks for posting it!
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 04:50:55 pm »
women think I'm hitting on them

David -

I know a lot of men who wouldn't mind having a problem like that   :D

But seriously, I agree that your smile doesn't look bad at all.  You know best though what it used to look like.

I'm glad you're already seeing some improvement from the PT - that's very encouraging.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 08:22:42 pm »
Hey Jan

The smile isn't bad -- it's just the fact that half of it won't go away.  I look like Jack Nicholson as the Joker.  It doesn't work when you're trying to play a serious role.  I'm still waiting for a call for my agent to play the new Joker.  The real problem though is that I can't speak clearly.  I sort of talk out of the side of my mouth.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 08:34:23 pm »
David -

somewhere in the acting world there are roles for actors with your current "issues". 

If I recall Marlon Brando didn't speak too clearly in his role as the Godfather and I never could understand Sylvester Stallone when he played Rocky (yo, Adrienne)  ;)  And let's not forget that Jack Nicholson got pretty darn good reviews for his Joker role.  I'd imagine you could put all of them to shame  :)

You just have to look at the bright side, a half of a smile is better than none at all.

Hang in there; great things are in your future; you just gotta believe!

Jan 

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 09:58:33 pm »
Jim,

That is hilarious that you mentioned Donny Osmond’s teeth. ;D Truth is he DOES have a great smile. What is even more funny is that I have a daughter who loves to play with my old Donny Osmond doll (I still have it  ::) ). She dressed him up like Shakespeare  :o and Barbie was dressed as Juliet … as I eyed her immersed in dramatic play - from a distance. When I was a tween (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth  :-\ ) I had a Donny Osmond LP and I distinctly remember lip sinking  8)  “puppy loveâ€? with classmates after school. Too funny…

When I flew to House to meet the famous (and very wonderful man) Dr. Brackmann they had a copy of HOUSE CALLS placed on the table in the waiting area … and yes in there was a photo of Donny Osmond and his family. His little brother had surgery at HEI. Who knows he may be contributing on our forum here under an alias.

He has been involved in benefit concerts and fundraisers for HEI. He has 2 younger brothers with profound hearing loss.

http://www.hr-hpr.com/issues/articles/2005-10_08.asp?frmTagFilePath=%2Fnews%2Easp

Truth is I was fascinated to read the HEI articles too…
http://www.hei.org/news/publications/publication.htm
and to see that he had a keen interest in helping others with profound hearing loss.

Hey LA David maybe you should network with the Osmond’s- next time you are heading to HEI maybe see if he will meet you there… Just a wild idea…  8)

Daisy Head Mazy :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 10:13:43 pm »
David,

If Ozzy Osbourne can make money as an "actor" - then I don't think you'll have any problem at all!  If I understood one word you said out of an entire paragraph, that would still be more than I can understand when that guy talks! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 10:21:05 pm »
David,

If Ozzy Osbourne can make money as an "actor" - then I don't think you'll have any problem at all!  If I understood one word you said out of an entire paragraph, that would still be more than I can understand when that guy talks! 

Lori

Good point, Lori.  Plus Ozzy has the same drunken sailor walk that some of us ANer's have been known for in the past - and the present  :D

lori67

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 08:40:41 am »
Yes, and unlike Ozzy, we don't even have to be drunk to walk like that!
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 09:03:10 am »
David!!

You look Mahvelous!!  Really, you look great - that's one good looking smile!

Debbi (still practicing pirate sneer... and envious of David's smile!)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 09:11:46 am »
Hey Daisy,

I was the ultimate Donny Osmond fan here, in the "Great White North" and it's his two oldest brothers that were born deaf. 

I've also been told many, many, many times I look like "Marie", even at my wedding 24 yrs ago. 

David,

You look Marvelous!!!

Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

LADavid

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 01:14:39 pm »
Thank you all for the kind compliments.  It gives me the encouragement to push that much harder in physical therapy.  I also wanted you all to know (especially Jean), because Britannia and I were so encouraged by our run on Saturday, we decided to take on the Long Beach Half Marathon on October 12th.  She's never run one and the last one I ran was in 2002.  Training starts this Saturday.

Thank you all again.

Best wishes.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

cindyj

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 02:00:59 pm »
Congratulations, David!  Know how fun that was.  My mom and I did a 1/2 Marathon in Myrtle Beach this year - we walked that one - first time for both of us.  Then I did another 1/2 marathon here in GA early this Spring and I ran (slowly) most of it.  It is so exciting to cross that finish line.  I am actually supposed to do the Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk again this year - that is 60 miles over 3 days.  I did it last year and re-signed up as soon as I finished that one.  An amazing experience that I don't want to miss this year, which is one reason I'm hesitant to do any treatment til later in the year - whatever treatment that may be... 

Enjoy your training for the marathon - it's very inspiring to see you posties accomplishing so much.  It's good for those of us waiting to figure out what to do to hear these success stories.
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 02:59:39 pm »
My, oh, my David!  I'm real impressed... but most of all... VERY proud of you! :) You are certainly providing inspiration for many... more than you know. :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"