Author Topic: Prayers for my dad needed  (Read 14097 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Prayers for my dad needed
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:38:32 pm »
this I posted on Monday on a board some of my friends and I have to hide from the world ...to out of it to type so just cut and pasting it

My dad is in St Thomas Hospital and has been since Thursday or Friday ...not clear when he got there ... he came in an ambulance with partial paper and no ID or contact information ... he was bleeding profusely from mouth and nose and was disoriented ... they feared that he had a clot in lung or neck that had broken loose ...

he has lung cancer and also had by pass surgery to arteries in neck right after I had brain surgery ... one side had been totally blocked and other side was 95 % blocked ... wonder he is here at all ... and he has had 4 heart attacks and countless surgeries from stints to by passes and balloon procedures ...

they got him stabilized and he finally gave them my brothers name but no phone number ... someone finally got a hold of him late Saturday ..

his lungs are OK ...nothing changed ...neck arteries are fine ... what he does have is a massive C-DIF infection in his infection that cause enough bleeding to fill intestine and back up into his stomach and out his mouth ...and his appendix is almost at bursting point but they can’t get it at the moment he is in isolation and they said only one contact person could have visitation with him ... my brothers son is 27 and on his own so he was elected ... me with 2 kids in school to care for sits at phone waiting for news ...

brother said he is confused and told him that his truck was in Tullahoma at Arnold’s Air Force Base and that he had been transported from Arnold’s ... nephew and brother went to get it and searched the base for it and couldn't find it ... asked at clinic that is across from commissary and they had not had him in as a patient since 2009 to get a flu shot ... finally found truck at Lincoln Regional Hospital in Fayetteville which is where he lives ... inside were some groceries ... figure he was at the commissary and saw clinic ... he says he had a spell and went to clinic ... when in reality he drove from Tullahoma to the local hospital and staggered into the ER ... the ER at Lincoln had his keys , clothes and ID ...

they are pumping three antibiotics into him by IV and watching appendix ... they can't operate until infection is knocked back or the spread could kill him , but if it bursts they will have to go in immediately and wash his insides out as the go ...

last few years we have gotten along good ... but most my life he was indifferent to me simply because as the only son as an only son of an only son had it beat into him that he had to have sons to keep the name going ... at 8 years old he told me that I could atop following him around because my brother was big enough to replace me ... and that he didn't want me or my sister we just happened before he got his boys .... we have not had enough good years and he has just realized how wrong what he did was ...

haven't slept ... what I have eaten has come back up ... I am out of hydrocodone that keeps my headaches from surgery at bay that lyrica doesn't stop ... it will be a week or more before any of us will be allowed in ...I want to go to him but hte 100 mile drive to sit in a waiting room , waiting for reports from brother as he goes in for 10 minutes every 3 hours would do me in ...

I feel shredded ...

please keep him in your thoughts ... he is a tough old bird and according to doctors should have dies about 20 years ago when he had second heart attack ... and the day he went to have ears checked due to dizziness and turned out he had very little blood going to brain has them puzzled as to how he was walking around at all ... I really need to see him ... just see him ... no words need to be exchanged ...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:51:23 pm by Soundy »
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

Re: Prayers for my dad needed
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:01:02 pm »
Tuesday learned he had been there since Thursday .... and this was report

infection better and no more bleeding ...appendix is still enlarged but they fear he is too weak to operate ... so daily ultra sounds to watch it ... he was doing better and ate some but got nauseated and heart rate went up ... didn't go down after a bit so they scanned him and he has a valve leaking in heart ...flap not closing right or something letting blood go back wards ...

Wednesday up date was

nothing new ... saw him ... next visit 2 hours later  he acted like he hadn't seen me in several years ... but he knew me ...

Today
haven't heard from my brother today and he hasn't answered his phone ... Hospital gave him a code to get through for information and he wouldn't give it to me ...

I am over tired both physically and mentally ...except for yesterday , I  have had 19 month old grand baby all week from about 2:PM until 10:00 next morning when her dad wakes up... I gave her to her other grandma this afternoon and tonight ... have to leave my son a message so when he comes in from work around 1:AM  he doesn't wake me up looking for his baby ...

Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:03:44 am »
Soundy, that's a lot to handle and I am praying for your strength and peace as well as healing for your dad.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:46:40 am »
Soundy .....

Whew, you have way too much on your plate ..... physically and emotionally.  Many prayers for your well-being, as well as for healing for your father.

Hang in there .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:34:11 am »
Soundy, you are in need of prayer, both for your dad and for YOU!  Consider it done.  Hang in there, my friend.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 01:46:30 pm »
Soundy ~

I'm so sorry to learn about your dad's medical emergency - several medical emergencies, actually.  I have to agree that he is 'a tough old bird' (I know a guy like that, he looks back at me in my mirror every morning).  Obviously, this unhappy state of affairs is severely stressful for you and that is apparent in your post.  You have so many physical challenges to deal with and now, this emotional one with your father is definitely daunting.  I don't know how old your dad is but I long ago (grudgingly) accepted the reality that our bodies are not meant to last indefinitely and that at some point, they'll just wear out, either from old age, illness - or often, both.  Your troubled history with your dad is also dismaying but at least you were able to reconcile and now have something better.  I will definitely keep both you and your dad in my prayers.  He, for healing and you, for strength, both physical and emotional. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 01:09:07 pm »
Soundy,
Sending my prayers your way, hopefully your dad is feelling better real soon!  I'm sure you needed this like a hole in the head (oh wait already have an extra one of those), hey if we don't laugh we cry.
Hang in there,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 05:25:19 pm »
You  have my prayers I cannot believe your brother didn't give you the code for information ???

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 07:53:12 am »
Prayers coming and continue.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:09:57 am »
Soundy, we’re sorry to learn about your Dad.  You are both in our prayers, that he pulls through and that you do get a chance to see each other again.

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

free2be

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 01:27:24 pm »
Soundy,
Hang in there. It's an awful lot of stress and emotions to deal with. You will get through this, just take care of you the best you can.
Prayers for you and your Dad.

Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable

Soundy

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 08:34:22 pm »

Spent most all day Friday at the hospital ... odd day

got a call that if I wanted to see him I better hurry ... got kids to school made calls to make sure they were taking care of at end of day and called husband so he would know where to find his children then headed north ... when I got there he was not in the room ... nurse said he would be back in about 30 minutes that they had taken him down to do an ultrasound on his heart ... so I wait .. called my brother to see if he was somewhere in the hospital and he was still in route ... wait some more ... 3 hours more ...I went to get something to eat since I could feel BG levels dropping ...came back and he was in room ...sitting up on side of bed sipping water ...

clear as a bell ... we talked about the kids and their fair stuff and just general things ... brother came in and we all just visited all afternoon...they fed dad solid food which made his digestive system go into over drive so we had to leave and went to cafeteria and talked and ate ... came back and talked more ...left about 9:30 to head home ... was a good day and not what I prepared for ...not that you can ever  really be prepared

they have him on a drip of heparin to thin blood , antibiotics to combat cdif , and something to clear breathing ... they are going to have to repair heart valve but are trying to get him stronger first ... and another thing ...learned a camera put down in his lungs can find no sign of cancer ...it's as if it was never there even though we know it was and a biopsy confirmed it ... and one of his natural arteries in the heart that wasn't working right is now ...

he is a little confused about time and how he ended up in the hospital but all in all doing well ....

thanks for thoughts and prayers ... I think we are going to need them for some time ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 11:32:02 am »
got a call from my brother and  he was headed to Nashville ... after quiet weekend , daddy is headed to or may already be in surgery ... not sure if crisis arose demanding immediate intervention or if they decided he was strong enough , but they are repairing or replacing the heart valve

the one reliable person that I have that  gets the girls for me has an appointment with her youngest this after noon that it took her a month to get and almost that long waiting ...husband works out of a service truck and is either out of cell service area or noisy equipment is keeping him from hearing phone  ...so I am gonna just hang tight and wait for word ... gonna be a long day ...

glad for Friday ... didn't say it before but had a feeling that his better condition may signal crisis ... I have seen several people get seeming alot better right before the end ...feel drained and at lose ends ...

have been trying to clean house and get things back in order after I pulled out alot of boxes and things from closets to sort and purge last week when I was playing waiting games sitting by phone ... not having much progress ...can't sit still but not accomplishing anything aside from wearing myself out ... wonky headed and wobbly ... took Tylenol for headache and it has eased but not gone ... will take hydro if it comes back bigger ...only bright spot today has been sitting here at desk looking out the window watching squirrels fight over the dogwood seeds that are bright red and evidently liked by squirrels as they go thorough this every fall ...may give up on house and just watch the squirrels wars
Translab July 2 ,2007

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 04:32:21 pm »
Blessings to you, Soundy.  My heart goes out to you as you wait this out. Let the squirrels provide some welcome distraction.

Priscilla

Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

iluuvpups

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 05:20:40 pm »
Squirrel Wars - sounds like a Discovery channel or Animal Planet TV show!  Let them be a good distraction for you.  Hang in there.
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait