Author Topic: Transear in Canada  (Read 19096 times)

Jeanlea

Re: Transear in Canada
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2010, 07:28:13 pm »
I have has a TransEar for 3 years now.  I would not go without it.  As far as pros go:  it's easy to use, just pop it into my ear in the morning; the newest version that I now have has much better voice discrimination, it's fairly easy to understand conversation on the deaf side; the batteries last 1-2 weeks before needing to be changed; it comes with the dry 'n store box to help keep the TransEar clean and dry; I have mild, mild tinninitus and I really don't notice it all when I have the TransEar in;  I also "feel" more balanced when I'm wearing it, meaning my head doesn't feel "lopsided"  ( I know that is all purely psychological though); I am able to wear it all the time while I'm awake, don't even notice it (I've gone to bed with it in and only noticed it when I laid on that side).  The cons for me would be the times that the wire has broken.  If it came with an extra wire it would be perfect.  I have noticed that the wires tend to be stronger on the newer version.  Dealing with TransEar is excellent, too.

All in all, from what I've read the sound you get from the TransEar seems to be similar to the BAHA although I can't say for sure because I've never tried the BAHA.  You do need to take it off when you are in water.  Although I got caught in an unexpected rain storm and then put it in the Dry and Store and it was fine.  It also does not work well in noisy environments.  I don't know of anything that does. 

Hope this helps.  If you have any other specific questions, please ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 09:51:22 am »
Thanks Jeanlea,
I am going to print off some information as they too will be new to this. I know many have you using the Transear have worked through the growing pain. What is the newest version called?

Note:
* tight fit
* extra wire
* dry and store kit

Anything you think would be useful please add to the list.

Michelle  ;D
Getting excited to hear!
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jeanlea

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2010, 06:57:19 pm »
It's the TransEar 380 HF.
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Jeanlea

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2010, 08:17:42 pm »
My hearing in my good ear is normal.  So no aid in that ear. 

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Jeanlea

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2010, 09:15:00 pm »
Jean,
* have you had any trouble with the fit?
* Do you feel it when you yawn or chew?
* Can you hear a phone conversation on the deaf side with it?
 * can you block off loud restaurant noise with it?
* Can you manually adjust it off and on? or do you have to take it right off?
 All these questions eh?
 Thanks so much I really appreciate any info I can get.
 I see my audiologist on Monday so I really want the 'skinny' on this all.
 Thanks so much!
Donnalynn

I was llucky and never had any trouble with the fit. 
I don't feel it at all when I yawn or chew.  I forget I'm wearing it.
Never really tried to talk on the phone on that side, but I can hear other things around me when I'm talking on the phone with my good ear.
Can't realy block off loud restaurant noise with it.  I can carry on a conversation with someone sitting next to me in our school lunch room which is very loud.
If I wanted to, I could turnthe volume all the way down which turns it off while I'm wearing it.  Haven't really wanted to do that though.
Hope that helps.  Good luck with  your appointment on Monday.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 06:36:29 pm »
So I called a local company who will be carrying the Transear and they told be to call back in a month or so. They need to go through training. I said I would be a guinea pig. Can you tell I am excited to get the ball rolling.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

sgerrard

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010, 08:05:30 pm »
Michelle,

You are a model of patience on the forum. For you, a month should be nothing. :)

I hope that it works out fabulously well and that you are ecstatic about the results. You deserve it!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 03:54:00 pm »
The company I called was "Listen Up" but I will also be calling other companies. I will start with Helix. I will keep you all posted with any new discoveries.
Michelle  ;D

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2010, 03:27:45 am »
Donnalynn, was your appointment this past Monday?  If so how did it go?

Here is another link where TransEar is discussed and may help some:       http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=12076.msg139310#msg139310

Jeanlea:   I'm from Michigan too and asked on another topic where did you go to get your TransEar??   Thanks!

Best wishes to those of you who get one.............be sure to keep us informed  :)

Denise S. (Michigan)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Jeanlea

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »
Denise,

I'm acrosss Lake Michigan from you in the Upper Penninsula.  I got my first TransEar in Appleton, Wisconsin.  The audiologist was a relative of my sister's so I got her to do it for me. Since I was her first one I got a good price.   I'm working with a new audiologist who is closer to me in Menominee, Michigan.  She hasn't done one yet, but is willing to do so.  She's working with my insurance company to see if they will cover the entire cost.  Apparently my insurance will pay $1600 PER EAR.  Even though I only need one aid, they currently will not pay more than that for the TransEar.  I'm still waiting to hear if she makes any progress.  In my experience you find an audiolgist that you like, tell them about the TransEar and they will do it for you.  The company is really good about helping new audiologists. 

Jean
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:33:19 pm by Jeanlea »
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2010, 05:00:07 pm »
How much is the Transear?
Michelle ;D

Jeanlea

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2010, 08:14:38 pm »
Mine cost $2400 three years ago.  Another place closer to my house was going to charge me $2900.  That's why I decided it was worth it to go further from home.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2010, 11:18:23 am »
Denise,

I'm acrosss Lake Michigan from you in the Upper Penninsula.  I got my first TransEar in Appleton, Wisconsin.  The audiologist was a relative of my sister's so I got her to do it for me. Since I was her first one I got a good price.   I'm working with a new audiologist who is closer to me in Menominee, Michigan.  She hasn't done one yet, but is willing to do so.  She's working with my insurance company to see if they will cover the entire cost.  Apparently my insurance will pay $1600 PER EAR.  Even though I only need one aid, they currently will not pay more than that for the TransEar.  I'm still waiting to hear if she makes any progress.  In my experience you find an audiolgist that you like, tell them about the TransEar and they will do it for you.  The company is really good about helping new audiologists. 

Jean

Hey Jean, THANKS for the info.   I had wondered if you actually went to WI vs. MI.   Glad to hear now there is someone closer to you and hope it all works out.    I've been to Menominee a couple years ago.  We took the carferry from here in Ludington across to Wisconsin, then drove up to U.P and North to Cooper Harbor, all over the U.P. all the way east to Drummond Island (missed some of the west, and couldn't get up to Taquamenon falls because the big forest fire broke out the day we were goiing (seen all the sights, snoky sky, some flames, even askhed on our vehicles and weird red sky in the eveining....scary).   BEAUTIFUL!!         I have read you really like your TransEar.   I was hoping for BAHA because I periodically get stabbing pain in my ear canal & thought the TranEar "may" make it more discomforting (not sure though)    Insurance won't cover BAHA, but they are trying a different approach due to the implant.   As for TransEar I was told no for sure, but if I had to do something out of pocket......that is WAY cheaper :-)       

Thanks again for the info. 
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

valerie_g

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 06:59:48 am »
Good morning to all

I'm too becoming a model of patience from Canada!  ::) Just a quick question, did somebody hear anything about when they should be ready to actually fit us with the Transear in Canada? The announcement was in late March I believe....

March 2009 5 mm X 4 mm
July 2010 6 mm X 5 mm
March 2011 7mm X 6mm Cyberknife radiosurgery Ottawa General Hospital
June 2011 BAHA surgery Ottawa Civic Hospital

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2010, 07:14:58 pm »
Valerie, I am still waiting... I have talked to many local hearing aid places and they really don't know much. I have given them the contact information I have and hopefully soon I will hear.
Michelle  ;D