Author Topic: Service Dog  (Read 5170 times)

kkgriffin

Service Dog
« on: February 16, 2012, 04:08:11 pm »
Does anyone have a service dog to help compensation for balance.  I am thinking one would really help me.  If anyone has information on one I would appreciate it.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Re: Service Dog
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:12:53 pm »
Interesting that you did this post.  Just yesterday I was on-line looking for "hearing ear" dogs.  (as opposed to seeing eye dogs)  There seems to be a lot of information out there regarding all types of service dogs.  Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

kkgriffin

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:15:37 pm »
I will have to do further research.  I have a hound dog who is very high spirited, when I walk her she really does help me with my balance issues.  But she could never be a service dog for the simple reason that she is so high spirited.   I would appreciate any information anyone has on this.
Karen

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:48:56 am »
After reading your post & my looking around I was talking to someone who mentioned a friend of their's has a service dog that does help them with their balance issues.  Unfortunately, that's all the information I got but at least now I know they are out there & accessable just have to find them.

We had a beautiful Rhodesian Ridgeback but she would not have been any help in balance issues since I was forever tripping over her!   :D

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:37:32 pm »
Karen ~

Google is our friend.  :) 

I found this (and others) by doing an internet search for 'service dogs balance'.  I hope it helps.  http://www.keystonehumanservices.org/susquehanna-service-dogs/balance-dogs.php

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mikechinnock

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »
I have been using a service dog for the past 2 years. A Standard Poodle that was originally trained to help a veteran with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Acoustic neuroma is like Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and many training organizations that train dogs for veterans with PTSD also will help train the dog for TBI with the veteran. Canine Companions for Independence and Bergen University in Santa Rosa CA come to mind. Some offer the dog and training at no cost. Some charge for both. Some restrict for state, or county, or city clients. Some come with a 3 year waiting list. It will take some research, a doctor that thinks such will benefit you, and a commitment to take care of the service dog and train with it. It will take personal training, as no two ANA patients are identical.

If you came up with anything in the past 9 months, please post an update.
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.