Author Topic: Significant Devascularization!!!!!  (Read 3773 times)

sunfish

Significant Devascularization!!!!!
« on: December 01, 2010, 11:47:45 am »
Oh Yeah!!! 9 month MRI shows "significant devascularization."  Tumor is about the same size.  So that means my "side effects" aren't due to swelling or growth, just the death of the alien brain booger, who's probably trying to take some healthy tissue with it.

Doctor still wants yet another MRI in 3 months, due to my various struggles.  The doctors changed/increased some of my meds.  See my other post about trental . . .
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Significant Devascularization!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:31:45 pm »
Sunfish ~

Congratulations!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Anomar11

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:55:46 pm »
Sunfish, good news!  I'm glad for you.    Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 07:08:52 pm »
Excellent news. I know what it's like having had my MRI myself two weeks ago. What kind of medications do you take for your symptoms? I was given Tylenol #3 for the pain, but there is so much you can take of that.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

sunfish

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 12:32:48 pm »
Well, thank goodness I don't have any pain.  So I don't need meds for that.  And there really aren't any good meds for disequilibrium/balance, in the long run.  They tried a round of steroids for my declining hearing last week, hard to say how helpful that was yet.  Neurosurgeon started me on "trental/pentoxyfilline" a couple days ago (antioxidant/blood thinner that shows promise in recuperation from radiation therapy for cancer).  Too bad there's not a magic pill for us . . .
Cyberknife March17, 2010

moe

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:21:10 pm »
Sunfish,
Great news! Hoping the alien continues to de vascularize and you get some relief from your disequilibrium.
Maureen :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lalehjg

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 10:11:14 am »
Awesome news Sunfish! :)

Keep on keeping on!  Thank God the booger is dying! 
12 mm x 4 mm diagnosed 1/25/10
CK at Stanford 4/7-4/9/10 - Drs. Chang and Soltys
Measured 14 mm x 6 mm at time of treatment

free2be

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 03:19:29 pm »
Great news, Sunfish; glad to hear it. I'm curious about the mechanism and anticipated outcome of the new drug, "trental/pentoxyfilline." Keep us updated on that, will you?

Take care,
Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable

sunfish

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 04:35:20 pm »
Well, if you look up "trental" online, you'll find several research reports with promising results using this med to decrease side effects of radiation treatment.  Specifically, "fibrosis."  I suppose the theory is that the radiation from CK does cause some injury to the affected nerves, etc.  Trental is believed to increase oxygenation of tissues at the microvascular level.  It's also more commonly used in cases requiring a "blood thinner."  It apparently changes the viscosity or slipperiness or something of your blood.  Not a very scientifc explanation, I know!

Unfortunately, the stuff really caused me major stomach problems for the first three weeks, and I still have to be careful to eat and drink plenty when I take it.  Also unfortunately, I've been on it for about 6 weeks, and I can't honestly say it's made any difference in energy level, balance problems, blood pressure problems.  I'm still scheduled to take it for another month or so, then another followup MRI.  Will keep you all posted.
Cyberknife March17, 2010