Author Topic: 7 Months Post CK MRI  (Read 3041 times)

JuliePA

7 Months Post CK MRI
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:44:58 pm »
I just had my 7 month Post CK MRI - No Change in the size of my Tumor, but; he did say that the texture has changed (Whatever that means) He wouldn't commit to saying it was dying or not dying, just it looks dormant and the texture is changing. Said it looked like it had fluid (he called it cysting). It was a different color than the first MRI, kind of patchy looking. He wasn't saying much, but: did indicate it was a good thing. My next follow-up is 1 year.. maybe then will get some real news.  ??? 

Has anyone else had or heard of this??   

Thanks, Julie
AN Left 8th Cranial Nerve 16mm
Cyberknife Radiosurgery Jul 2008
Friday the 13th of Feb 2009 7 Month MRI Texture Change
Geisinger Medical Center
Dr. Gergel

carter

Re: 7 Months Post CK MRI
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:52:28 pm »
i am only 5 weeks post ck .... so i can't say about your condition....  sorry?

may i ask if the dr just left you hanging?  of that he/she would get back to you?  or wait till teh next mri?

do you have an ent to ask?  a good gp?

my thoughts and prayers are that this is good...

i "love" doctors
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

macintosh

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 10:10:10 pm »
Julie--

I guess I'm going to say what the doc wouldn't say--that this sounds as good as it can be at this point, but doctors often won't be too optimistic too early. My first MRI (one year) was similar (dark spot, no change in size), and the two year MRI just showed slight shrinkage. That's the thing with radiosurgery--you avoid the big, messy one time scene of surgery, but you have to have the patience to deal with a little bit of uncertainty for a longer time.

Hang in there, though--it really does sound like good news.

Mac

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:51:24 pm »
Hi again Julie,

I'm glad to hear your tumor appears to be dormant --  hopefully next year will showtumor  necrosis.  In the meantime I hope that you are feeling well and that this report has given you some comfort. 

Wishing you all the best,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:11:56 pm »
Julie:

I'm going to be bold and offer you my congratulations because I surmise that your AN is slowly entering necrosis (cell death) stage but your doctor is being conservative and doesn't want to mislead you if necrosis isn't absolutely evident.  They're like that, sometimes.  In addition, the fact that he scheduled your next MRI for one year from now indicates that he certainly isn't worried about re-growth at this point and probably wants to give the AN time to clearly show necrosis he can point to with confidence.   I would be very pleased.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:46:33 am »
No Change in the size of my Tumor

That's all you need to know. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

JuliePA

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:17:41 pm »
Thanks everyone, I am still having swelling issues after 7 months,even though there was no indication on the MRI. My Dr. doesn't want me to go back on Steriod's.. so it's Motrin/Ibu's for the time being.

How long have any of you had swelling Issues??? and what did you take in place of Steriod's?

Thanks for all your help,
                                      Julie   
AN Left 8th Cranial Nerve 16mm
Cyberknife Radiosurgery Jul 2008
Friday the 13th of Feb 2009 7 Month MRI Texture Change
Geisinger Medical Center
Dr. Gergel

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 08:26:59 pm »
I took ibuprofen when it was bothering me a little, and Aleve (naproxen) when it was really annoying me. Never took steroids after the treatment itself. Mine was over by about month 5 or 6, but sometimes it can go on for 12. Hope you get past it soon!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.