Author Topic: Happy Birthday MLK - good quotes  (Read 2613 times)

Keri

Happy Birthday MLK - good quotes
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:39 pm »
For those of us in the US, today is a holiday to celebrate Marthin Luther King, Jr's birthday. Although I greatly admired him, I haven't thought too much about him on his birthday before. However, I noticed something really cool on facebook today. Sometimes I get totally annoyed with facebook because of the angry posts from both sides of the political spectrum (I know... it's a free country and thank God we have the right to disagree, but sometimes the tone is so divisive). Two of my friends had posted MLK quotes on their status. I thought that was a great idea.. so I looked up some of his quotes, read them and posted one as well. Then more people shared and it's been a great day to remember him and his words of wisdom. I feel it's been very unifying and it's a tone that I would like to see continue.

“As my sufferings mounted I soon realized that there were two ways in which I could respond to my situation — either to react with bitterness or seek to transform the suffering into a creative force. I decided to follow the latter course.” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Happy Birthday MLK - good quotes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:35:47 pm »
Here's my contribution (from Dr. King):   

“I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.”   Martin Luther King Jr. -  'I Have a Dream'  (1963).

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:55:24 pm »
‎"Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~MLK

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you can't see the whole staircase." ~MLK

Two of my favorites today - I have seen a LOT on FB!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:45:00 pm »
 "Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals."  - MLK

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:07:27 am »
What a man is all I can say. " I have a dream" brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it or read it and tonight or this morning it has so much more meaning. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games