Author Topic: Diagnosed with AN 03/05/2007......worried  (Read 10891 times)

kippy6

Re: Diagnosed with AN 03/05/2007......worried
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 10:35:55 pm »
Shari -

I'll never forget last June one day after my MRI, I had just gotten home, and my child said that the doctor's office was looking for me. The ENT office told me to get back in my car and drive to their office, where they told me in person I had a tumor the size of a "golf ball." I also had a cyst next to it the same size. I have 4 children, ages 3-13, and all I could think at the moment was, "What about my summer?" I want to have FUN this summer with my family. I had surgery on July 19th, and truly it took me about a month to recover from the big stuff. But my face was never paralyzed from the surgery. Once I started getting out and about, I started to adjust to being deaf in one ear from the surgery.

But for me, I was very thankful in many ways:

1. thankful it wasn't cancerous (Not to minimize AN, but can you imagine Cancer patients who have to go into surgery KNOWING that after their tumor is out THEN they have to do radiation/chemo?)
2. thankful they could get it OUT! (After the initial shock, and once I scheduled surgery with an experienced surgeon, I felt a lot better.)
3. thankful that after looking at statistics that I wasn't going to die from the surgery. Hey, this means I still get to see my children at every milestone in their life!
4. thankful that my surgeon was able to quote HIS personal percentage of successful surgical outcomes with no facial paralysis

I'm not a doctor, but by the size you mentioned, it seems that you will have to get it removed. The key here is finding the very best surgeon. Find one who has removed hundreds of acoustic neuromas per year. Travel where ever you have to go to get the best surgeon. This is very important.  If you live next to an expert, then by all means, use him... but please don't use someone who is close to your home just for convenience sake. Please. Please. I know you have children, but you will be much better off if you focus on just getting this thing out by a VERY EXPERIENCED surgeon, and getting on with your life.

You'll be needing several opinions. There are some important things you need to do:

1. Call the radiology office where you got your MRI from, and you can get a CD of your MRI. You can buy a couple of them.
2. Send the CD and MRI report out to a couple of the MOST EXPERIENCED Acoustic Neuroma surgeons in the United States. The surgeons will review your MRI for free, and you'll have an expert opinion. Even if you end up not being able to use them, this information will be valuable.
3. In the meantime, you can still visit some local surgeons too. Just make sure you go with the most experienced surgeon - it can make all the difference in your outcome.
4. Contact the Acoustic Neuroma Association and tell them you were just diagnosed. Have them send you all pertinent pamphlets on your condition. This was VERY HELPFUL to me.

Acoustic Neuroma Association
600 Peachtree Pkwy, Suite 108
Cumming, GA 30041-6899
Phone: (770) 205-8211 or 1-877-200-8211
Fax: (770) 205-0239 or 1-877-202-0239
email: info@anausa.org

I ended up fine. I have no paralysis, and yes, I am deaf in one ear, but I'm okay with it. I still have so much to be thankful for, and I appreciate the things I have so much more.

Blessings to you and your family.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 11:15:56 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 08:41:28 am »
Shari,

1st, let me say welcome to you. As you can see by this thread, so many of us truly do understand and give great advise, support and shoulders when needed. There is nothing I can truly add to what has been stated here already but I did want to say welcome....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sharibari

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 12:30:32 am »
Just got my MRI on cd and found out my an is 2.1cm x 2.1cm x 11cm in length. I also discovered that my husband's health insurance is going to be changing in midst of all my care. What else? I told him to find out regarding pre-existing conditions. sometimes through group plans this is waived, hope so. I have lots of appointments to keep. This too shall pass. Thanks for the ear everyone, you are a great bunch of people....
Shari
Translab    4 cm
Dr. Joseph Roberson
California Ear Institute
Stanford Hospital
June 4, 2007

sharibari

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 12:42:53 am »
Oops I meant 2.1cm by 2.1cm by 11mm silly me must be my tumor talkin'''''' lol
Translab    4 cm
Dr. Joseph Roberson
California Ear Institute
Stanford Hospital
June 4, 2007

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 01:27:40 am »
Hi,

My AN is similar in size...radiosurgery is probably very possible for you, if you choose to go that route.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Denise

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 06:47:43 am »
Shari,
Sorry about the discovery of your AN. I hope you are doing better and are less stressed.  I don't have much to add, except, anyone able to communicate on the website, I consider a success story.  There are alot of really GREAT caring people on this website as you will find, if you haven't already.  Vent any time you want, someone at sometime on this website has had a similar feeling or experience. You are NOT alone.

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 03:54:23 pm »
Sharibari:

Hi - and welcome. 

As I usually say to 'newbies', I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma tumor but, since you have, I'm glad you found this site and this forum.  As others have mentioned, although the words brain tumor have the ability to frighten us into near-panic, they really shouldn't, at least in our case.  As your research will prove, an acoustic neuroma is a benign tumor that does not invade the brain.  It is treatable with surgery and/or radiation.  Neither are enjoyable but both treatments are bearable and usually efficacious.  I know.  I've undergone both - for the same large AN tumor - which was reduced to less than half it's original size via surgery (the 'retrosigmoid approach') then treated with FSR (Fractionated Stereotactic Radiosurgery).  My last MRI, in December, showed some signs of necrosis, (cell death within the remaining tumor) just 2 months after I completed my (26) low-dose, daily radiation treatments in October. 

I'm one of those success stories you're looking for.

My tumor was quite large (see my signature, below, for details) but I had never experienced facial paralysis or some of the other complications some AN patients suffer with, even though it had - according to the MRI  report - pushed my brain entirely to one side and was pressing on my brain stem.  Pre-diagnosis, I had lost all hearing in my left ear (the 'AN side') my balance was shot (I walked like a drunken sailor and couldn't walk down stairs without clutching a handrail for dear life).  My appetite was affected (I lost 30 pounds) and, although never 'athletic', even when younger, I was becoming unusually lethargic.  When my wife finally dragged me in to be examined by my primary care physician, he listened to my symptoms, then confidently told me that I 'probably' had a 'thyroid condition'.  A blood test ruled that out.  My thyroid was functioning just fine.  My doctor (a nice guy) then sent me for an MRI scan, suspecting 'a sinus problem'.  Nope.  The acoustic neuroma tumor was clearly visible on the MRI scan and he informed me that radiation 'surgery' ('Gamma Knife'/'Cyber Knife') was not an option due to the size of the tumor.  He referred me to a local neurosurgeon.

My first consultation with the local neurosurgeon was disappointing.  He seemed somewhat aloof and I suspected that he was almost intimidated by the size of my AN tumor.  Having done my research, I inquired as to how many of these tumors he had removed.  He dithered around and finally mumbled "around 60".  At that point I felt that, despite his medical degrees and state license, he was inexperienced in this specific surgery and that he was uninterested in my case.  Next! 

I soon located an out-of-town neurosurgeon on the recommendation of my wife's neurosurgeon, who had done numerous spinal surgeries on her.  He didn't perform brain surgery but a member of his practice did - and he specialized in AN cases.  This surgeon, Dr. Ike Goodrich, turned out to be a genteel and very experienced older neurosurgeon who seemed genuinely concerned for my well-being and, best of all, had over 30 years of experience removing acoustic neuroma tumors.  When I asked about CSF leaks, he informed me that he used a titanium mesh to seal the skull (not belly fat) and hadn't had a CSF leak in 'years'.  I also expressed great concern regarding the surgery resulting in some level of facial paralysis, which was not a symptom I had experienced at this point and certainly had no desire to endure if it were possible to avoid it.  Dr, Goodrich assured me that he would employ nerve monitoring during the surgery and would only remove as much of the tumor as was feasible without disturbing any facial nerves, leaving the remaining tumor to be treated by radiation (FSR).   Dr. Goodrich especially impressed me when he stated he would accept whatever my insurance paid (I had Blue Cross) toward his fee and not to worry about money, just getting better.  I hired him on the spot and he scheduled the surgery for a week later due to the fact the size of my tumor made it's removal imperative.

Now, before any major surgery is performed, many 'pre-op' tests are required by both the hospital and the surgeon to be sure the patient has no underlying medical conditions that might cause an unforeseen problem during surgery.  I had all of those tests, including a CT-scan of my entire body, and it showed a 'mass' (a dark spot) on my liver.  Oh-oh.  While no one said 'cancer', it was pretty obvious that was what it looked like.  My surgeon was notified and he regretfully canceled the AN surgery until the 'mass' could be identified.  He basically said that there was no point in my undergoing th AN surgery if I had another, even more serious condition that might kill me within months.  Oh, being the gentleman he is, Dr. Goodrich used more delicate language - but I got his point.  Now I was getting nervous.  I was immediately referred to an oncologist who was pleasant and sympathetic but clearly suspected that I had cancer of the liver.  My wife was getting pale and didn't say much.  I tried to remain optimistic.  It wasn't easy.  The oncologist ordered a liver biopsy, scheduled for the very next day.  We weren't wasting any time, now.  That evening, my PCP called me at home to offer what amounted to sympathy.  I gently reminded him that there was no real evidence that the 'mass' was a tumor and that I was not going to start writing my will quite yet.  He said he understood (but probably thought I was just 'in denial').  No, I was simply being optimistic as well as prudent and refusing to despair or become depressed over something that had not yet been proven.   I had the biopsy the next day - it wasn't that bad. I received a (much anticipated) phone call from the now-elated oncologist that evening, informing me that the biopsy showed that the 'mass' was a hematoma - a blood clot.  According to this doctor, not worth being concerned about.  No treatment was necessary.  Everyone was relieved, of course.  My wife and I thanked God and started breathing again (so to speak).  :)  Dr. Goodrich re-scheduled the AN surgery for 10 days later (the earliest he could reserve an operating room) and I prepared for it as best I could.  I prayed a lot, bought new PJ's and packed a 'hospital bag'.

Surgery day - June 7th, 2006 - finally came.  To make a long story short, the surgery took close to 9 hours and was successful.  Dr. Goodrich and his team removed over half the tumor.  I came out of it with no facial paralysis or other complications.  I had some double vision for a few days but it quickly abated.  I was home in 4½ days.  It took a weekfor my body to recover from the hospital meds (steroids) and the effects of 9 hours of anesthesia.  I spent the next seven days or so either in bed, sleeping, or in my favorite recliner, watching TV and/or dozing.  Mostly dozing.  Finally, after a week at home, bored and finally feeling more 'like myself', I began getting out (my wife did the driving).  My balance steadily improved and I felt better all the time.  Two weeks after my surgery, during my first post-op visit with my neurosurgeon, he commented that my recovery level was 'in the top 5%'.  I asked if I could begin driving.  He said that I could, but to take it slowly at first, which I did.  Within a week, I was driving as much as I ever did.  Although I'm retired and my only child is grown, I'm fairly active in other pursuits so I resumed my activities and began to return to normal, again.  I felt good.

I was scheduled to begin the FSR (Linux) treatments September 11th.  I had a 20 minute treatment every weekday for 5 weeks (plus one day) aimed at 'zapping' the remaining AN tumor and destroying it's DNA so it would effectively 'die'.  The FSR was painless but tedious.  However, I remained resolute and finished the treatments on October 16th of last year.  A December MRI indicated the beginnings of necrosis in the remaining tumor so I'm very pleased, as is my wife, son and neurosurgeon.  I have a very slight 'dry eye' on rare occasions and a slight numb spot on my tongue and lip, which the radiation oncologist says will eventually disappear, although it could take a long time.  I can accept that as my appetite has returned to normal (I'm trying - successfully, so far - to keep excess weight off), my balance is near-normal and I've long since adjusted to the loss of hearing in one ear (the hearing in my functioning ear remains excellent).  I'm very grateful that I escaped most of the post-op complications some AN patients suffer.  I'm also grateful for an excellent neurosurgeon and my general good heath, aside from the AN, of course.

This forum has other positive stories from AN patients.  Although some AN patients with successful, uncomplicated outcomes may abandon this site and the boards, I've resolved to remain an active poster a bit longer in order to encourage and/or advise other AN patients and to present the kind of account I've just written so that newly diagnosed, scared and sometimes confused AN patients can know that this is a treatable condition and one can survive it relatively intact in many cases.  It's not all gloom-and-doom.  Of course, no one can guarantee anyone else's outcome from surgery and/or radiation but many AN patients do just fine.  I firmly believe that a positive attitude and a strong support system (family and/or friends or a combination of both) are essential elements to a good recovery.  No, attitude can't repair physical problems but it certainly can make recovery a lot more pleasant.  I highly recommend trying to be positive and realize that you have a benign tumor that is completely treatable in a variety of ways.  Do not allow your AN to define you.  I haven't.

I wish you all the best, Shari and I trust this forum can be another support for you in the weeks and months to come.  :)

Jim

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 02:27:41 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sharibari

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 12:55:50 pm »
Thanks to all Bruce, Sue, Denise and Jim and everyone else who has responded so graciously to my posting.

I have some let up in stress however the overall concerns still remain. My MRI results showed that the tumor is against my brain stem and that my facial nerves are being effaced. I am seing my doctor again Monday to discuss additional options but will probably opt for the surgery.  My husband's new insurance has no pre-existing conditions, thank goodness and everything is paid @ 100% with no copay.Cool huh? As for my work, I do  collections, billing and patient accounts for a medical practice and was just told that my services will no longer be needed that I "scared them" when I told them I was going to be looking for another job (this was told to them prior to my finding out my diagnosis) so they then turned to a outside billing company and signed the contract with them, so I will no longer be employed effective the end of March. Bummer. I am not too mad. I was honestly going to change jobs before I was diagnosed. But this is awful timing. But it could be positive in the same respect. I will have time to get prepared for my surgery, further research and just spend time with my family. This has been quite a month for me! Well everyone who has supported me I thank you for sharing your stories....You all are very brave and caring people......

Shari
Translab    4 cm
Dr. Joseph Roberson
California Ear Institute
Stanford Hospital
June 4, 2007

sharibari

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 01:42:59 pm »
Bruce,

Thanks for the positive input. It will be for the best in the end in regard to my employer.       As for my treatment, I meet again with my doctor I think on Monday and will find out more then.   I just have alot of symptoms which I am sure most of you have too.  But it is scary to know exactly why these things have been happening and releived in the same respect to know finally why you were having these problems. eh?  :D

Well I will for sure keep up to date on my progression as it unfolds.   

Take care........
Shari
Translab    4 cm
Dr. Joseph Roberson
California Ear Institute
Stanford Hospital
June 4, 2007

Battyp

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 10:18:03 pm »
Shari I've been away from the boards for a few days as I just started an online MBA program and am feeling overwhelmed.  I did not read what everyone else wrote but wanted to welcome you to our exclusive little club and tell you I'm sorry you are joining us.  Question for you regarding your job.  Did  you tell them prior to your diagnosis you were leaving?  Or did they decide after your diagnosis you were leaving? 

My brain stem was involved to and I had a lot of the symtpoms you described.  My best advice is to avoid stress as much as possible which I know with everything going on is probably next to impossible.  Just remember to take a few minutes a day to do some deep breathing and relaxing!  Bubble bath by candle light will do wonders for you!  If you're experiencing headaches don't let the docs tell you an's don't cause headaches as it's not true.  I had horrible head pain prior to my diagnosis and after I chose my treatment team I started decadron which helped tremendously with the pressure just don't count on sleeping.  Also, NO ROLLERCOASTERS!  Please know if you have any questions I'll gladly answer them just shoot me a PM (private message) if you want a faster answer. 

All my best to you,
Michelle

matti

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 07:38:17 pm »
Hi Shari - I received your e-mail regarding Dr. Roberson, I hope you got my reply. 

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 06:33:47 am »
Shari,

We have all been through the initial “shockâ€? of the Acoustic Neuroma (AN) diagnosis… we all can definitely relate.  As you’ve read in many of the posts here…AN’s are NOT cancerous and they ARE survivable.  As with anything that faces us in life, education is the key.  I found that the more I learned about my AN…the more comfortable I felt about choosing a treatment path that I felt comfortable with.  You are absolutely right about how those with great results don’t hang around to share their stories of good fortune…  but that is not necessarily a bad thing…this means that good results CAN and DO happen!!     

Having a AN will give you the feeling of having a “minorâ€? in medicine…I talk to my doctors on a level of better understanding since my research.  They see me as an educated patient, and feel better relating to me…without the usual “don’t scare the patientâ€? approach given to the general public.  I would recommend going to Barnes & Noble (or the library if money is tight), and getting a book on the anatomy of the brain (with the nervous system).  This will help when you research and to better understand your docs, and the research that you do.  Go to your nearest BIG hospital and ask to have access to their medical library for research.  They will have current articles, journals, and studies. You will quickly learn that there is much repetitive info out there on the web.  Info older than 7 years is great for background info, but try to get current info to make your treatment decision off of.

Try not to panic, surround your self with friends (and cyber friends…like here), and family.  Do some research, ask a lot of questions, take a friend/relative to your appointment so they can take notes for you…become knowledgeable about you’re AN.  There are many people on this site, who have had all of the various types of treatments. Ask questions…vent…share how you feel, it’s what we all do.  Welcome, everything’s going to be OK.   :)

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

sharibari

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2007, 12:59:55 pm »
Thanks to all. You are all very inspiring.  I will now have time to be with my family before surgery since I am being replaced at work. They claim it isn't because of my diagnosis but I often do wonder. It's all for the best though, I wasn't happy there any longer anyway.  I am going to forward my MRI to House Ear Clinic for a second opinion.  I have spoke to another person on this forum who used the same doctor and she can't say enough nice things about him. Which is the impression I get from him as well. Again thanks and Will be speaking with you all in the near future.

Shari
Translab    4 cm
Dr. Joseph Roberson
California Ear Institute
Stanford Hospital
June 4, 2007

Pembo

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 05:56:51 pm »
I too am a mother of 3 and had a lot of your symptoms. Stay strong.......
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Stevey

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2007, 11:55:34 pm »
Shari,

I was numbed by my diagnosis, but was buoyed by using the ANA WTT list that they can give you on request, it is a list of patients that have been through treatment and are Williing To Talk about it I found a Mom near me who was 10 years post op and she was well, and that gave me such hope, your tumor is little bigger than mine but I lost my hearing during surgery and had a cerebellum injury during surgery, but, my face is back and I can whistle and make fishie faces at my little girls again and my tumor is Gone which is a huge relief, mine was pressing n my brain stem and well OUCH!  So glad it's gone (along with it's searing painfulness), the size of your AN probably will make surgeons steer you to the OR, but I have heard of good results with radiation for patients like you, Look around on the site here.  Surgery is not a walk in the park, but in my case I am glad I did it, it was that or possibly lose left eye function (resolved), permanent Billy Idol lip twitching (wife was not attracted to it even when I put it in those terms)(resolved as well),Threat to life (resolved), Pain (resolved), walking like drunken sailor (resolved, after two weeks of in-patient rehab).  After almst 8 weeks post surgery, I got on a bicycle today and rode down the street while fooling noone that I was lance armstrong adn am able t change my 14 month olds diapers again Yipppeeeee!  Seriusly Best wishes and God Bless on your new journey, if it has happened to an AN patient, I have seen it here, so peek around.

Cheers,

Steve

BTW- if you need to talk I will talk to you and If your spouse / significant person needs tips, my wife thinks she has some....  Send me a message, I will forward my number.
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD