Author Topic: Proposed Medicare Change  (Read 6126 times)

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Proposed Medicare Change
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:13:55 am »
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=CMS-2014-0092-0002

https://www.change.org/petitions/centers-for-medicare-medicaid-services-dept-of-health-human-services-continue-coverage-for-the-cochlear-baha-implant-system-a-life-changing-hearing-solution

Medicare is proposing a rule change by no longer covering the Baha. Here is a link to an online petition showing your support against the change and a link to the proposed rule change. You can leave your coments if you wish.

thanks
keith
cochlear awareness volunteer

AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Catflower

Re: Proposed Medicare Change
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:56:51 pm »
It is critical that everyone sign this petition.  If you don't have a BAHA now you may change your mind in the future.  If you do have a BAHA now you may want or need to replace or upgrade it in the future.  Can you afford to do this out of pocket?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:37:52 pm »
Thanks for posting this, Keith.  I signed the online petition at the regulations.gov site last week and wrote a lengthy explanation as to the need for safety issues with SSD people.

Please do this if you can.  Thanks.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Alan Goldberg

• Caregiver since September 2009.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:16:56 pm »
Hi everyone,

All of the information about Medicare's proposed change is on the ANA website at www.anausa.org. Read the details and find out what you can do!

Thanks for your consideration.

Catflower

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:57:15 am »
I just received an email update on this petition.  So far there's just short of 5,000 signatures.  I contacted my State Chapter of  Speech and Hearing Pathologists asking they email their members requesting that they sign the petition.

rodneyd

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 11:44:55 am »
Hi all,

This "suggested treatment" comes from the 20 member unelected, uncaring "death panel" that is running our health care system now.  Heaven help us older folks who need medical services that they deem "not necessary" because we are taking up the health care dollars for younger people.

Can we assume that any system that improves our hearing will be considered a hearing aid, and therefore not covered? 

I think I will just take a pill and lay down now.
74year old male, 8.3x7.3x6.5 mm AN on 10-28-13.  MRI on 12-30-13 showed no growth.  Imbalance issues and mild tinnitus.  MRI on July 13, 2014 showed no growth.  Still on W & W and taking baby-aspirin regimen.  MRI in July, 2016 show slow growth (1.1 cm).  MRI on July 24, 2017 was 8.2 x 8.6 x 8 mm!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 02:04:25 pm »
What concerns me about the proposed change is that they are lumping all hearing loss together.  Those of us who are single-side deaf (SSD) have a safety issue to consider when there is zero sound coming from one side.  This is not a "cosmetic" issue of wanting to hear better.  It is so I will not step out into oncoming traffic because I did not hear it.  It is so I can still be a productive member of society.  Etc., etc.

End of vent .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:33:32 am »
As in most things related to our government today this just sucks.

I have signed the petition and talked to my neurotologist who also signed the petition and wrote a letter.

In my opinion, not only should Medicare cover BAHA implants it should also cover hearing aids.  So many people suffer from hearing loss and a large portion of them are elderly people covered by Medicare.  The cost of hearing aids - like the cost of a BAHA implant and device - is prohibitive for many. 

I've had my BAHA, which I couldn't live without, since 2008 and my insurance paid for the surgery and device 100%.  Everyone should have that opportunity.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 11:59:31 am »
I just received word that Medicare will continue to cover the Baha.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11