Author Topic: Day 1 CK Prep  (Read 2044 times)

Richard_T

Day 1 CK Prep
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:44:56 am »
Since this forum has given me so much, I thought I would try to give back and help the next newbie.  The following is my Day 1 CK Prep log:

I had my consult with Dr. Chang by telephone the week of January 9, 2012.  As a result of all other consults and extensive research, I already had strong leanings to CK.  Unless a received a curve ball from Dr. Chang, I was going for CK at Stanford with he nd his team.  Since my kids had a short week of school and my wife insisted (she's a keeper) that the whole family attend and I had strong feelings of having CK not later than about a month out to prevent the remote possibility of rapid AN growth and, thus, being unable to have CK, I determined the likelihood of Stanford taking me the week of January 16.  It was a go, but, since Monday was MLK day, we had to put the CK simulation on the day of other tests and consults, which turned out to be fine.

First, I Had an IV placed for contrast for an updated MRI and was put in an MRI for a recent view of my right-sided AN.  It was only about 10 minutes because my local MRI was taken in early December. 

I then reported for a consult with Dr. Gibbs (Dr. Chang's teammember Oncologist).  I was interviewed by her Resident first.  I presented him with my two audiograms.  When I met with Dr. Gibbs, she discussed the process with me and answered several of mine and my wife's questions.  I felt that she was the most knowledgeable Oncologist I had discussed my condition with to this point (I had consulted with two local CK center Oncologists).  She was also very personable and patient.

I then went to the CT scan area where I received a new IV (side of my left wrist) for iodine contrast.  The CT scan was used to create the high resolution images necessary for my treatment plan. 

A couple of hours later, I had my in-person consultation with Dr. Chang.  he has always been very affable, patient and willing to answer my Tolstoy-length questions.  On this occasion my questions were shorter to cover only the questions I had failed to ask originally.

Tomorrow, was the first CK treatment.  Stay tuned...
1.9 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.8 cm AN diag. 12/09/11
CK at Stanford 1/20/12

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Day 1 CK Prep
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:20 am »
Richard .....

Thanks for taking the time to describe your experiences.  You are so right, that many of us stay on the forum to try to give back and help the next newbie.

Best thoughts for an uneventful treatment and recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

frenchjoey

Re: Day 1 CK Prep
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:58:41 pm »
Impatiently waiting for some news  :)