Author Topic: Tumor Grew - Need Advice  (Read 1787 times)

Angel894

Tumor Grew - Need Advice
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:23:09 am »
So 3 years post-op, my tumor grew.  I was having headaches radiating from the base of my skull so my GP ordered an MRI.  The tumor grew about 3mm up and 1mm wide.  It is now 10.6mm x 8.4mm.  My last MRI was 2 years ago.  My problem is I am leaving Sunday to go on a 5 week trip to my mom's with my boys.  The dr said she thinks it is ok if I go, just bring my disks in case.  I am scared of having to have surgery and not being able to do cyber knife if I don't get it treated asap.  I had surgery 3 years ago and it left massive nerve damage.  Also, my 4.5 month old is nursing and I worry about how this is going to effect that.  I know it may sound like a silly thing to worry about but my older son was 10 months old when I had to have surgery and I was getting way off (falling over, etc...) for a few months before that.  So I am already upset that this thing keep interfering with my being part of my children's baby-hood.  I am kind of numb and scared right now.  My husband showed me that it isn't that big, especially compared to last time.  Any reassurance?  Advice?  Should I go?  I could go and maybe do the Cyber Knife up there, assuming it can be done for me?  We will be in Tacoma, WA and have Cigna PPO, so I don't know if our insurance would take up there?
AN reduction March 17, 2009.  80% of a 6.4x7.6 cm  monster removed.  Remaining tumor has since shrunk leaving only slight residual tumor behind being monitored by now yearly MRIs.  Had my eye re-opened & the lids reconstructed in November of '10 & fighting to keep my life as normal as I can

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Tumor Grew - Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:09:08 am »
My goodness. I understand you are scared. I would send your scans to other surgeions to get their opinions. I had my scans read over and over again some say small growth and some say no growth. I would get opinions from more than just one. I do hope this is an error in reading. We are all here for you.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:39:34 am »
I agree - get a second opinion, as there's sometimes "measurement error."  Take a look at a ruler, and see how small 3mm really is - hard to be accurate with something that small.

I'm not a physician.  But I'm betting that 5 weeks will make no difference whatsoever with your outcome, although it sounds like you're having symptoms.  I think it's kind of desirable to get your treatments and followup all done in one place, with one MRI machine if possible.  So maybe you could go, and take the 5 weeks and think about your next steps?
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Angel894

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 12:49:30 pm »
I decided to have a copy sent to my neurosurgeon.  He usually reads my scans.  I did my MRI at the same place as last time.  I will go ahead and go on my vacation.  Thank you for helping me find a more level headed perspective on this.
AN reduction March 17, 2009.  80% of a 6.4x7.6 cm  monster removed.  Remaining tumor has since shrunk leaving only slight residual tumor behind being monitored by now yearly MRIs.  Had my eye re-opened & the lids reconstructed in November of '10 & fighting to keep my life as normal as I can