Author Topic: What were your early symptoms?  (Read 20569 times)

Stand

Re: What were your early symptoms?
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 05:35:27 pm »
YAY!  NO AN according to my doctor.  :)  He said that I do have a really large cyst in the nasal area.  But no tumor!  *breath of relief*  He said that he still has to figure out what is causing my pulsatile tinnitus but he's referring me to St Louis for that.  I took some great migraine medicine and it seems to help with my balance issues.  Going to get a hearing aid for my nerve damaged ear.  And I got glasses for my eye pain.  At least I don't have a tumor.  *grinning*  Thanks for putting up with me, you guys!

Stand

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 05:36:46 pm »

I always tell people that the damn bungi cord (that cut my head open) saved my life. Weird how things happen, but thank goodness they do!
[/quote]

You were cut by a bungi cord?  Oh goodness gracious!!!

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 06:15:31 pm »
Great news! I hope the rest of your health issues are quickly relieved!

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 07:16:31 pm »
WOW!!!  This is incredible news.  I'm so happy you don't have an AN.

Thanks for updating us,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 12:47:36 pm »
Stand ~

Congratulations!  I'm delighted to learn that you don't have an acoustic neuroma.  Although you still have some medical issues to deal with, you appear to be on the right track.  Well done!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Stand

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 11:42:36 pm »
Thanks, you guys.  I'm not quite sure where to start.  My dizziness and nausea is getting the better of me.  Now to add to that, the lights in WalMart are becoming such a problem, I'm having staring episodes.  My head feels really strange.  I stare.  I'm clammy.  I can't move or talk.  I can barely think.  After about a minute, I can blink and move again.  *sigh*  Not sure where to begin...

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 08:56:49 am »

I always tell people that the damn bungi cord (that cut my head open) saved my life. Weird how things happen, but thank goodness they do!

You were cut by a bungi cord?  Oh goodness gracious!!!
[/quote]

First of all, congrats on the great news!

Secondly, yes, a bunji cord did me in. I was moving into a new house, loading up a truck and one of thoe bunji cords snapped back and nails me in the head. I've never seen so much blood in my life. I went to the ER to get that stiched up and that's when they saw something on the CT scan. It's crazy how it worked out. If you're interested in reading the whole story, the link is in my signature below   :)

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2010, 10:40:40 am »
Last September I started out with mild hearing loss, tingling on the left side of my face. As time wen on I felt fullness on the leftside of my head and dizziness when I stood up. Finally near total hearing loss, balance issues, vertigo, and loss of taste. I was diagnosed in June and had surgery in August.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 10:07:07 pm »
Thank you guys for all being so kind as to responding to my messages on here when I have not been diagnosed with anything.  As stated in earlier posts, I just have a lot of symptoms of it and my ENT is sending me for an MRI.  But did any of you have one-sided pain?  A for instance, the right side of my face has been having pain all year.  It comes and goes.  But it will originate on my cheek bone and will radiate up to my eye (making it weak-feeling) and will then radiate to my right temple and right side of my forehead.  If it gets really bad, it goes to the back of my head.  My right cheek and especially cheek bone feels VERY numb.  A numbing throbbing sensation. 

HERE'S MY QUESTION:  For all of YOU GUYS, what were your symptoms before surgery?

Balance issues (sometimes severe) for about a year...attributed to stress, constant tinnitus for about 2 years, finally a full feeling in the ear that a change in allergy medication did not alleviate.  ENT found no fluid, tested hearing, and found a 20% loss (I never noticed that) in affected ear for no reason, ordered the MRI and there it was--2 cm.  Surgery upcoming Nov. 30.
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.